Home

"Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)

playloud

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you could just do what I did, go print up your own covers at a copy place for like $6 (on glossy paper they look awesome, the internet has TONS of quality covers for Star Wars movies). Amray cases are just a plastic box. Open it up, and pop the label out and put in your own! ;)

If you need help I can point you in the right direction to finding custom covers (Or you can make your own).

I'm sure details of the 30th anniversary set won't be officially announced until long after this Limited Edition run has ended. Why would Lucas take the chance on everyone not rushing out to buy this one?

If StarWars.com is right though, the "original originals" won't be included in that set, we'll just got more re-edits of the six movies and possibly a disc of extras, different from the one we got in 2004.

Well, you could just do what I did, go print up your own covers at a copy place for like $6 (on glossy paper they look awesome, the internet has TONS of quality covers for Star Wars movies). Amray cases are just a plastic box. Open it up, and pop the label out and put in your own! ;)

If you need help I can point you in the right direction to finding custom covers (Or you can make your own).

This is what I'm gonna do to my DVDs, I much prefer the movie posters to the dvd cover art and I found some that have the movie poster as the main cover art online. The only one I couldn't find was for Episode 3 since they were made before it was released.

Jeez. I am confused on what to do. Should I keep them or should I sell them? Though, I'd admitted I rushed the purchase of these DVDs. I may just return them and re-buy them at a cheaper price. And that will be that. Since, I want the "original" original movies.

Though, it would be wise if Lucas waited till the time the date that he will stop selling this DVDs to announce what's up with the 30th anniversary editions.

I'd love to see some sales figures on this set.

I have a feeling we won't get honest numbers on this, but rather some inflated figures combined with LEGO Star Wars II (much like what was done with SWBF/2004 DVDs).

Jeez. I am confused on what to do. Should I keep them or should I sell them? Though, I'd admitted I rushed the purchase of these DVDs. I may just return them and re-buy them at a cheaper price. And that will be that. Since, I want the "original" original movies.

Though, it would be wise if Lucas waited till the time the date that he will stop selling this DVDs to announce what's up with the 30th anniversary editions.

All things being equal, this set is much more worth getting than the 2004 set (1 bonus disc < 3 original versions) even if you're spending up to 10 bucks more, total.

Keep your bonus disc 4, sell the rest, get this one. ;)

(though perhaps I'd keep the original set, and just sell the 2004 discs out of the new set, since their disc covers are uglier... gold lettering, giant "widescreen" "copyright warnings" and FBI logo to mar the design).

The thing is, the 2005 set was "limited edition" and it was sold side by side with the 2004 set. If they don't get sold, they just remain on shelves and confuse customers (though in the above case, it didn't matter, because one was just an extra disc and cost slightly more in different packaging). Lucas wins because no matter what version you buy, you're getting his 2004 "definitive" (until may 2007 that is!) version of the trilogy.

All things being equal, this set is much more worth getting than the 2004 set (1 bonus disc < 3 original versions) even if you're spending up to 10 bucks more, total.

Keep your bonus disc 4, sell the rest, get this one. ;)

(though perhaps I'd keep the original set, and just sell the 2004 discs out of the new set, since their disc covers are uglier... gold lettering, giant "widescreen" "copyright warnings" and FBI logo to mar the design).

The thing is, the 2005 set was "limited edition" and it was sold side by side with the 2004 set. If they don't get sold, they just remain on shelves and confuse customers (though in the above case, it didn't matter, because one was just an extra disc and cost slightly more in different packaging). Lucas wins because no matter what version you buy, you're getting his 2004 "definitive" (until may 2007 that is!) version of the trilogy.

I wanna say Commander only has the new dvd set, I remember him saying. Amiright?

But I'm considering doing your idea of selling the 2004 ones and keeping the bonus disk 4, that would be great.

Yeah. I have decided to return them at the store I bought. Mainly because I think I may have rushed the purchase of the DVDs (as you may see, before I wasn't even close to think about purchasing them). And like I said before, I may just re-buy them in December or I might just get them for my birthday or by Christmas.

Though, it would help to know what is to come with the new set that is being released next year.

Yeah. I have decided to return them at the store I bought. Mainly because I think I may have rushed the purchase of the DVDs (as you may see, before I wasn't even close to think about purchasing them). And like I said before, I may just re-buy them in December or I might just get them for my birthday or by Christmas.

Though, it would help to know what is to come with the new set that is being released next year.

Rumor has it, Lucas is just tweaking the 2004 OT even more and making "special editions" of the prequels too (though we only know that Episode I will have CG Yoda for sure, and probably a "digital restoration" so it doesn't look so overly sharpened, and probably will be made "video-ized" (grain removed) to match the other movies). And then a disc of extras, people are hoping deleted scenes from the Original Trilogy, but that's just rumor for now.

Nothing about the Original Original Trilogy, so presumably this is our "last chance" until Lucas changes his mind again (and they said nothing of course of next generation formats). Many people presume they're just lying, and really they'll release it again and say that since it's in a new box-set or is restored, then it's not really a "re-release." Who knows.

But for now it seems like if you want the best set available right now, get this one, forget the others (order the "Bonus Materials" disc 4 from the 2004 set if you really want it, off amazon or ebay, or just rent it and watch it once).

Rumor has it, Lucas is just tweaking the 2004 OT even more and making "special editions" of the prequels too (though we only know that Episode I will have CG Yoda for sure, and probably a "digital restoration" so it doesn't look so overly sharpened, and probably will be made "video-ized" (grain removed) to match the other movies). And then a disc of extras, people are hoping deleted scenes from the Original Trilogy, but that's just rumor for now.

Nothing about the Original Original Trilogy, so presumably this is our "last chance" until Lucas changes his mind again (and they said nothing of course of next generation formats). Many people presume they're just lying, and really they'll release it again and say that since it's in a new box-set or is restored, then it's not really a "re-release." Who knows.

But for now it seems like if you want the best set available right now, get this one, forget the others (order the "Bonus Materials" disc 4 from the 2004 set if you really want it, off amazon or ebay, or just rent it and watch it once).

"Lucas is just tweaking the 2004 OT "

Lol... I like how casual this sentence is. "Lucas is just tweaking the 2004 OT." Lol... You know what that means. Lol... Complete revision of scenes, and several excuses on why he altered them.

I wouldn't mind seeing a digital Yoda in Episode I. I think that would be cool. At least he will not look like Archie Bunker. Lol...

I can see it now, "I decided to go back, and Make Jar-Jar Binks into a Jedi.". This would be the shot heard around the world, and the entire Star Wars franchise falls into the abyss of hell. Lol...

Serious note: I don't see in anyway that he could improve Episode I, III, or III. Since I personally believe Episode I & II were horrible, I can only see bad things in the future. Well, thank god they are not apart of the 2004 set.

When it comes to Episode IV, V, VI, I think someone needs to lock George into a closet. Some of the changes he made to the originals were necessary and cool, but there were some that are very argumentative.

I would make an argument of, "Get them before they are ruined." You never know what the 30th aniversary eddition will be like. He may decide to replace Vader's head with his own.

Honestly I don't think CG Yoda would improve Episode I at all. Yes, it would appear more "consistent" with Episode II and III, but the puppet does so little (other than sit/stand there and talk) that it's really a waste. Second, while the movie was the least of the Star Wars series IMHO (the only thing making it stand out was the excellent saber fight at the end, which trumps all the others in the movies, again IMHO), at least the muppet Yoda was funny. He looked STONED, leading to all kinds of great jokes and imaginary scenarios. Take that out and replace it with a decent looking CG version, and that source of entertainment is gone...

Anyway, that's my view on it. A better digital transfer of Episode I would be nice, but the content (the movie itself) doesn't change, and so my liking or disliking it isn't affected (arguably comedy potential is reduced).

Actually, I think I like the change, just because the puppet Yoda in episodes V and VI just makes him look old, not like a puppet, but then when you see him as a puppet in episode I and then CGI in episodes II and III, it looks really inconsistent. The puppet gives him more of a moldy/old look. But then again, I like the puppet more, and wish they went with the original plan to only make him CGI in-battle... poor Frank Oz, his hard work in TPM will go unnoticed. :(

Well the thing is Yoda IS old. He was a puppet in Episode V and VI, and so that to me is the "real" Yoda. Yes, it's true in Episode I it was a different puppet than was used in the classic trilogy, but still. It's like CG Jabba. Sure, the new CG Jabba looks much better than the old CG Jabba, but it's still just an interpretation of the "real" Jabba, the puppet used in ROTJ.

I thought the Yoda puppet in Episode I was pretty cool, and it was funny looking. Had I never seen any of the other movies, I'd think it was the real Yoda. Since he's not leaping around having a saber fight with anyone, there is really need for him to be CG, except a sense of "consistency." But consistency can be taken too far. We could replace Sir Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor (either in old age makeup, or wait until he's the right age and then CG him in), for example. Or insert the actor who plays "young" Captain Antilles into Star Wars. Or Beru and Owen from Episode III in middle age makeup (or when they reach the right age) into Episode IV.

We could put Hayden with his scarring makeup in the unmasking scene in Episode VI.

We could replace the puppet Yoda in ESB and ROTJ with CG Yoda.

We could make the stormtroopers in the classic trilogy CG, and give them all Jango Fett's voice and height (and even give them colored markings on their armor). We could give R2D2 booster rockets. We could make Ben an Darth flip around and throw force powers at each other during their battle on the Death Star. It would just be silly...

Eventually you get to the point when you might as well just remake the movies entirely, using fresh actors and CG.

I agree about the puppet yoda, I actually liked the puppet in Episode I. I bet they will change it to CG just because we've seen a preview of the CG one, in one of the bonus disks, can't remember which (episode 3?), but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if they kept him as a puppet.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived