Home

please...

MrWally

My father is in cuba right now (yes, he got there legally with government approval), everything was going great, until he was apprehended by the Cuban government while he was taking pictures in a hospital (he's a photographer) because they were "suspicious" about his Visa. He had some interviews and we thought the problem was solved, and he was going to fly in to O'Hare by 9... but we just found that "John Walton" never got onboard the flight from Cuba... he hasn't called since Tuesday (I was the last person from the US to talk to him)... please... pray for my dad, because right now, that's all we can do.

We got the call at about 4:00 today but I was at band practice... then class... so I just heard about it. We were first worried that something was wrong when he didn't call from the Bahamas (his first plane stop) like he normally would.

It's not the first time he's been to Cuba either... it's his third, and he was planning to go back once or twice more this year.

:(

We got the call at about 4:00 today but I was at band practice... then class... so I just heard about it. We were first worried that something was wrong when he didn't call from the Bahamas (his first plane stop) like he normally would.

It's not the first time he's been to Cuba either... it's his third, and he was planning to go back once or twice more this year.

:(

So wait, do you know that everything's okay now?

no, that's when we heard he wasn't on his flight.

Right now the last anyone from the US has heard from HIM was Tuesday, when he called me saying that he was on his way to Havana for an interview with Immigration. However, it turned out that officials came to him, and took him from his group back to Havana.

thats terrible :(

the prayers are OK, but you can do more... in things like this, unless you act quickly - it can stagnate. The effect on families is terrible.

Especially since your dad had "government approval" (ie. didnt sneak in), that should make a big difference. There would be some record of it *somewhere* You just need the right people to chase it up.

*please see your state/region's federal member/congressman etc

*get some legal advice from experienced international lawyers

*contact the Cuban US embassy

*contact local newspapers/TV stations. The media is often a pain in the a$$, but the exposure they can give to topics can move things along quickly. Ive learnt this lesson well through my work in Indonesia for unicef. The pen/TV is indeed mightier than the sword at times...

Also, from a personal point of view. Its not a shameful thing to speak to you teachers or a counsellor about it. It would be a really stressful thing to handle.

Hope it turns out well for you, your Dad and your family

mtfbwya

Basically what everyone else has already said. However, contrary to popular belief, Cuba is not stupid. I'm sure their concerns were legit, and they'll have your dad back on a plane home once they realize he's not suspicious.

I've prayed for him nonetheless.

Wally check this out. I just found it and thought it might be useful.

Your dad will be fine, believe me, I wouldn't even think otherwise. As for you, you keep trying to reach out to your dad. As Astro says, contact the Cuban Embassy and let them know about things and how you can contact yo dad.

I'm a realist, and my philosophy is this - Prayers don't work all the time, if they work at all. You need to work fast and work yourself. Take Heart, brother. God is with you.

Thanks for all the support guys :)

For those that wanted some more information, my father works for AWANA, meaning that he's basically a missionary photographer who goes around for awana taking pictures of their programs and such for videos that are made. The interesting this is, taking pictures in a church did not get him in trouble (as one may assume), but taking pictures in a hostpital did. And no one else in his group were taken, only him. Also, they aren't giving him a chance to call home (because we are positive that if he had the chance, he would have done so multiple times).

And while we may be overreacting, just the whole concept is somewhat overwhelming.

Thanks again :D

Some good news: My mother just got off the phone from the Swiss Embassy in Cuba. And the American she talked to is personally looking into my father, and is even going over to the hotel he was last seen in to see if he can get any information as to where he is.

UPDATE: This morning at about 2ish we got a call saying that some Cubans who are connected with the corporation my father was looking for found him! However, he is still not allowed to communicate to anyone outside of Cuba and he still has more interviews with immigration, meaning they arne't letting him out. Yet. And, they made him delete his pictures... which was probably the hardest part personally for my father :(

Well, to use their wording "He's in a prison for foreigners, but it's not as bad as it sounds. At least he has air conditioning and three meals a day."

So I guess it could be worse? Also, he has another interview with Immigration tomorrow, so hopefully, if all goes well he will be released!

Archived