Home

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 thread

The Tingler

I dunno, Tarantino 'steals' a lot of stuff but he's so open about it that it becomes completely acceptable. Not that I think Dead Man's Chest will actually reference Monkey Island, but here are the similarities I've seen so far:

1. Bayou/voodoo lady = Scabb Island swamp (International House of Mojo)/voodoo lady

2. Cannibals

3. Norrington looks exactly like Guybrush in MI2, from the jacket to the beard

All of these are merely coincidental I'm sure, but with cannibals and the voodoo swamp we have certainly wandered quite far from the "inspired by the ride" scenario.

And Scabb, no, it's okay! I'm going on wednesday instead of saturday now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stealing all the way. There's no chance anyone professionally affiliated with PotC would acknowledge Monkey Island.

Why not? The movie's based on a ride that gave inspiration to Monkey Island, an homage would be quite funny really.

Double posting, don't care.

Just saw the film and I have to say, whilst it is very good (the twist at the end is very good, turns out Jack's a eunuch... okay maybe that isn't the twist) I do agree that it was, perhaps half an hour too long. They took the risk that all movies with cliffhanger endings do in making it too long as it begs the question "Was it really worth me sitting through a 2 and a half hour film just to see it not finish?"

Now, to be honest, the ending did leave me wanting more which can be seen as a good or a bad thing as I have no idea how long I'll have to wait for the sequel (a few months like the Matrix sequels, or a year like Lord of the Rings, or longer like Star Wars... well actually we're probably not looking at the latter as they are being made back to back).

But Depp is back on top form, Bloom can act as well as he always could and Knightly pouts a lot, so more of the same. Obviously Davy Jones is a great villain, but no where near as great as Geoffry Rush's 'Barbossa' and his Skeletal crew.

Oh, and just for the record, Jack Sparrow's entrance to the film... couldn't quite say whether it tops the first movies, but it's certainly unique and will have you smiling.

I'd give it a mark out of five, but this isn't the movie review thread. **coughfourcough**

Oh, and just for the record, Jack Sparrow's entrance to the film... couldn't quite say whether it tops the first movies, but it's certainly unique and will have you smiling.

Ahem.

Some amongst you might raise an eye and suggest that it isn't that unique, being as it is identical to a scene in Monkey Island 2. The, uh, same scene in fact which Tia Dalma and the bayou seem to look quite a lot like.

But, Monkey Island aside for now - whilst certain parts of the film are a lot more "omg Monkey Island" than the first movie (Scumm Bar ;)), the plot is nothing like an MI game - it's a fantastic movie. I didn't love it quite as much as I did the first one, but that would have been impressive indeed. It takes a while to get going (Davy Jones rears his head after what seemed like an hour) but when it does it's your standard adventure fare. This is great, because it makes the movie incredibly entertaining, and I really did love every second - except for one:

Elizabeth kissing Jack - kind of like the Niles gets with Daphne moment in Frasier; seemingly a plot twist engineered because there were no more ideas. It'll come into play in At World's End, to be sure.

Anyway, the action scenes range from the serious to the hilarious, and they're all very well choreographed. The main part of the beginning of the movie (Cannibal Island) seemed at first like it was the 'Jabba's Palace' part of Return of the Jedi - boring and irrelevant - but it won me over with good laughs, despite some very unrealistic moments. The ending is good, even if it leaves the series in a rather peculiar place. Also, the visual effects are incredible - I found it hard to believe that Davy Jones (Nighy) wasn't wearing a prosthetic.

So yeah, it's a worthy sequel, if only because it doesn't suck as much as it easily could have done. I loved it ;)

Saw the movie last night. Tons of fun, which is all I could have asked for. My one major disappointment was the soundtrack...I'm not sure I heard one piece that wasn't from Curse of the Black Pearl. Still great music, but considering the original had a great, complete original score, it's a pity this one couldn't too.

Whatever music played in the final trailer (the second bit of it, after the boat emerges out of the water) was also used in the film at certain points, and whilst very similar in theme to the first film, was infact very different. But yes, the rest of the soundtrack was similar, which could be seen as a good thing (makes it feel like a POTC movie) or a bad thing (nothing really new).

The music was actually all new. The re-used score was different (apart from Sparrow's entrance, I think) - the most obvious time being when Turner Norrington and Sparrow fight on the waterwheel. This uses the same cues from the original but it's a new composition called 'Wheel of Fortune' on the soundtrack. All Tia Dalma's music, as well as Davy Jones' and the music for the Kraken (the only new theme which I think is particularly good) was totally new.

I saw today, I enjoyed today. Similar "boat" to the rest of you I think - very good, not quite as good as the first. Well worth watching though!

I thought it was a little too drawn out, and they seemed to think it necessary to involve every single character from the first film. PLUS, I don't like it how when Jack leaves the ship, William suddenly takes controls and starts dishing out orders like a seasoned veteran. Same applies to Elizabeth single-handedly taking on an army of fish-monsters. But I suppose all action films are like that, and I should stop whinging. The cannibal island part was a little unncessary too, basically just an excuse for Orlando and MacKenzie to hook up with Johnny.

I enjoyed the potential love-triangle thing though, and the ending was pretty cool even if I was expecting Keith Richards. Then again, I suppose not everyone would know who he was supposed to be.

Looking forward to #3! Hopefully they'll rescue Deppo quickly and bring in another villain.

I enjoyed the potential love-triangle thing though, and the ending was pretty cool even if I was expecting Keith Richards. Then again, I suppose not everyone would know who he was supposed to be.

Keith was almost cast, but had to back out due to scheduling conflicts with his band. They haven't gotten him for the third movie yet but Depp has said recently that things look good on that front, so who knows.

No-one is going to cast

Keith Richards

in a very big role - he'll have a cameo at best, I would imagine. As for the ending, I unfortunately knew it was going to be

Barbossa

- well, at least I had a very strong suspicion based on what I had read. Sets it up nicely for part three though!

No-one is going to cast

Keith Richards

in a very big role - he'll have a cameo at best, I would imagine.

I'd never expected him in big role... the films are being shot back to back meaning they're probably a lot of the way through shooting the third, so it'd be hard to write him into a major role, but it still wouldn't be hard to make

Jacks father be a small enough role for Keith to be able to play for a few days

Personally I didn't know the ending twist, having not read up too much on the film (purposely, I didn't want to know too much about it), so it was quite pleasant for me.

During the scene where Depp ditches his hat overboard, because of the monkey, and a salvage boat picks up the hat ala Curse of Monkey Island... all I could think about from this scene was the whole cutscene from Curse. I would think that this would definitly be an homage.

And if anyone wants to know about Barbossa showing up at the end, watch the end of the first movie, after the credits to see:

The monkey take an aztec coin and place it in Barbossa's dying hand.

which also explains the undead monkey

And I do hope that everyone stayed for after the long credits to see a short and hilarious scene.

edited by elTee because there was a spoiler ;)

Scumbuddy, you spoilered the wrong thing

Actually, you were meant to spoiler out the bit about Barbossa coming back at the end of POTC2. And I'm not sure what you've seen, but after the credits on my version of Pirates, the monkey takes the gold, goes all skeletony and then jumps at the camera and it ends, nothing about him putting it in Barbossa's hand, there's probably a better explanation to him being alive

And yes, I also thought of that cutscene from COMI, Nice homage if it was one, otherwise, it was a cool scene anyway.

Hee that bit reminded me of CMI too.

And yeah I got the same version as Joshi - no placing of the coin in Barbossa's hand for me. The fact that Barbossa is back was something of an annoyance at first - I mean, if they can bring him back without going to "world's end" why not Jack too? But then I thought a) we don't know that someone didn't go to world's end to get him, and b) if it's voodoo, they had access to Barbossa's dead body, unlike Jack's, so they could bring him back.

When I think about most of the 'flaws' in this sequel I find I can explain them if I try - kind of like the original.

And yeah I got the same version as Joshi - no placing of the coin in Barbossa's hand for me. The fact that Barbossa is back was something of an annoyance at first - I mean, if they can bring him back without going to "world's end" why not Jack too? But then I thought a) we don't know that someone didn't go to world's end to get him, and b) if it's voodoo, they had access to Barbossa's dead body, unlike Jack's, so they could bring him back.

I'd go for version 2, Voodoo lady's are known for reanimating dead bodies and sometimes even bringing them back to life so it couldn't be too hard to imagine that she was able to do this with Barbossa's body.

yes my fault for not getting the monkey-coin ending correctly, and i thought that this thread really didn't need spoilers. but thats fine. and i am excited to see them explain a good bit in the next movie. May will be a wonderful month of movies with spiderman3 and pirates3

yes my fault for not getting the monkey-coin ending correctly, and i thought that this thread really didn't need spoilers. but thats fine.

Well, the thread was started long before the movies release and didn't specify spoilers to be inside. Add to the fact that the movie only came out a few days, ago, I think spoilers would be appropriate.

Nice bit of trivia, POTC2 made £30 million on it's opening day, beating Star Wars Episode 3 and making a new box office record. I guess people really wanted to see Jack again.

I thought we decided it was people want to see pirates over star wars. In games or movies.

And I understood about the spoilers. I wasn't saying I was right. I guess I just know to not go into threads about movies that I plan on seeing but haven't yet.

Archived