Home

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 thread

The Tingler

As am I (unless I plan on seeing it the day it comes out like this one) but others don't unfortunately, else we could talk freely about the fact that Elizabeth dies... um... I mean... that stuff happens that we shouldn't talk about.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go for version 2, Voodoo lady's are known for reanimating dead bodies and sometimes even bringing them back to life so it couldn't be too hard to imagine that she was able to do this with Barbossa's body.

I also go with version 2. It was a Voodoo priestess that revived LeChuck in MI2.

the monkey takes the gold, goes all skeletony and then jumps at the camera and it ends

I never saw that scene, so I was a befuddled by the appearence of the cursed monkey in Dead Man's Chest. I'll have to check it out next time I watch POTC.

It's one of those things that film makers put after the credits knowing that only a small percentage of people will actually see it in the cinema (although this numbers growing, more and more people are talking about what happens after the credits of a lot of movies, POTC2 apparently had a hilarious one)

After the credits in PotC 2...

it turns out the dog is in charge of the cannibal island. Definitely not worth staying through the credits for. See here for a very poor quality and highly illegal bootleg of the post-credits scene.

I'd rather watch those scenes on youtube and not gaze at the credits for five minutes like a tit. Actually, I'd rather those scenes weren't put in at all, particularly when they're quite significant like in X-men 3.

Literally loads of people stayed behind when I saw it the first time on opening night - and this was at like 11.45. I had mentioned to my friend (who never ever goes to the cinema) that there was a post-credits sequence I think and then forgot about it. After the movie he was all 'so are we staying?' and I didn't mind, and we convinced the designated driver to stay so we stayed. At least thirty other people were hanging around, and in the twenty minutes we were all there we all got to know each other, exchange phone numbers and arrange to meet up for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - the usual, you know.

Oh the jokes! We Northerners know how to make the best of a bad situation! The sarcasm after the sequence, which suggested annoyance but really signified pure happiness? It would have shamed Mr. Fawlty!

But as the post-credit scene in part one was actually relevant to the plot of part two, I'd say it's a safe bet that that dog will play a part in part three*.

* not really :(

(Thursday releases, yeah, it's weird)

Ours came out on a Thursday, sometimes they just do that as the preview before the general release on Friday's.

I was hoping Superman would do the same, but alas, I cannot see it till tomorrow (which won't, by all means, stop me from visiting the cinema today :p)

In Germany Thursday is the regular new-release-day.

We'll get Pirates 2 in 2 weeks.

From the current program, I'm only interested in Over The Hedge and Slither. Slither suffers the same fate as Serenity: it will either not be shown at local cinemas or too late. Well, I'll just get the DVD then.

I never was much for Superman. He's too super to be interesting. I watched Lois & Clark for some time, but it got overly formulaic. Smallville suffered the same fate.

I was the same, but I'm always interested in what Bryan Singer can come up with. Not all of his films have been great, but he's done some good work.

I'm not that interested in Over the Hedge, it's simply another Dreamworks CG animation made in a year with more celebrity voices carrying it than there should be.

I dunno about Bryan Singer, I really think he should stay away from blockbusters - those X-Men films were dire, but Apt Pupil and The Usual Suspects were both really good. Still the trailers look good, and it has good reviews.

Cinema releases were always originally on a Friday - this is why cinema listings (at least in the UK) still always come out on a Thursday. What happened in the mid-to-late '90s is that they would start releasing movies on a 'preview' on the Thursday, which gave them an extra date to add to the 'weekend' takings - essentially making it look like the film had made more money in less time. After a while, every big summer film was doing this and it was just crazy - I mean, the movie was coming out on the Friday but the de facto release date was on the Thursday. Because I've been going to the cinema regularly for so long, it became easy to make use from these trends - for example, I have a friend who is obsessed with Spiderman. When the original movie was coming out, he booked tickets for 'opening night' with his brother about a month before it was out. I then went to see it without booking tickets at all a day before 'release date' with some other friends, and needless to say, pissed this guy off.

I don't know if they do this in the US too, but Superman Returns at least came out on a Wednesday to increase its 'weekend' revenue. Still didn't beat Pirates of the Caribbean though ;)

I dunno about Bryan Singer, I really think he should stay away from blockbusters - those X-Men films were dire, but Apt Pupil and The Usual Suspects were both really good. Still the trailers look good, and it has good reviews.

Depends on your point of view. I can agree that the first wasn't too good although "dire" is a little harsh (and I won't comment on the third because it wasn't Singer) but the second was a lot better and was seen by most to not only be a good sequel, but a good movie all around.

And a lot of people think Apt Pupil was a abd film. It really does depend on your point of view with his films.

I quite liked Slither, it was an almost Horror with enough humour in it to not take itself too seriously (but in no way is it a spoof or parody of horror movies).

Good acting and a fair storyline.

I quite liked Slither, it was an almost Horror with enough humour in it to not take itself too seriously (but in no way is it a spoof or parody of horror movies).

Good acting and a fair storyline.

That's what I want. I hope it's going to be something like Tremors or Evolution, but darker.

X-Men 1 felt kinda short and unfinished (a lot like MIB), X-Men 2 (yes, I call it that since why on god's green earth does anyone see the need to abbreviate the damn title to X2?!) had a bad ending. And I don't talk about the "death".

Much much darker, I thik you'll like it.

Can't say anything bad about X-Men 2's ending, but I guess that's just my opinion.

Anyhow, just saw Superman Returns and I guess I'l have to admit... it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. I guess the action sequences were okay although nothing special, the plot was a little weak and frankly, if it has a saving grace, it's Kevin Spacey's "Lex Luthor".

Alien426's right, he's just way too super, even with the edge kryptonite gave him, I never really thought he was in any peril...

Hell, even when he "dies" near the end, I never once thought that would be the end

...and it seemed like with his flight, strength and speed there was nothing he couldn't overcome.

The opening sequence was good though, with John Williams original music.

The first two X-Men films were excellent, as was Apt Pupil & The Usual Suspects. Superman Returns is the only fairly dull film I've seen from Singer, I was certainly expecting something more. I liked Slither too, it was good rather than great.

The intro is the same as the original movie yeah, but it sucks. Too many 'presented by's - the original just got straight in there with heavyweight names like Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman. Great.

I did notice Kevin Spacey's name never actually came up... unless I missed it completely.

I saw Brandon Routh's, and then Kate Bosworth, and then I expected Spacey's to come along, him being the big name connected with the picture (plus he's the main bad guy), but it never showed, at least as far as I can tell (went from bosworth to James Marsden). I did expect that in that case, they'd probably put him at the end "and Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor", but then they just went onto the presented by's.

I suppose I liked the intro because it gave me a sense of nostalgia (that and I like the theme).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived