Home

At the movies: MI3 (mission impossible 3)

toms

Anyone seen MI3 yet?

(i've tried to keep it spoiler free)

For some reason i got all hyped about it and went and watched it, even though i didn't think it would be very good. I think they have a very good hype dept.

I definately enjoyed it more than MI2, which may be partly due to the fact that I knew what to expect this time. When I went to MI2 (very hyped after it's excellent trailer) I was expecting Mission Impossible - but what i got was an action movie. This time I went in expecting lots of OTT action scenes, and on the whole I wasn't dissappointed.

The plot for the film is a little strange. It starts off pretty strongly, almost like an episode of ALIAS in it's feel. But its completely obvious from about 20 minutes in who the bad guy is.. and the ending feels very rushed - forgetting to wrap up a number of threads and trying to conclude everything in a nice neat little package which doesn't quite work.

I gotta admit i'm a little bummed that they make so little use of the MI license in the last 2 films. MI3 could be almost any action/spy/navy seals film.. it could be XXX3 with a negligible ammount of tweaking. Apart from one mission in Italy in the middle of the film there is very little MI about it, and much more SAS/Navy Seals/Delta Force action going on.

But that action is all very well done. Tom cruise is always excellent in these roles. Ving Rhames is as usual excellent support... infact his whole team are cool. Not so convinced about the guys back at base... Lawrence Fishborne is ok.. but he and Billy Crudup are very underused. Same goes for the girl playing his girlfrind, who i wasn't that impressed with. Keri Russell was excellent in her part though.

Philip Seymour Hoffman deserved great credit for taking a role that could have been very generic and making it very interesting and menacing. His character is much more evil than a lot of the Tough Bad Guy characters we've seen in the past.

I did think his end fight with cruise was a bit abrupt and out of character though... he didn't seem like the kind if character who would be that direct. And as i said, it was obvious from the start who the mole would be, so i was expecting some sort of double bluff or something.... unless it was a tripple bluff??!?

Overall, good popcorn action flick with good action scenes. 7.5/10.

PS/ Anyone remeber when MI agents didn't use guns and got out without being noticed and without blowing up everything in sight? ;)

Overall, I give it a 2 out of 5, it might get a 3 if it wasn't so over-hyped. It was obvious that they tried to make a really great action flick, and there were some cool scenes, certainly, but the rest is kind of... blah. The pace was too slow at the beginning and too slow at the end. The scene with the wife shooting the guys semmed very unlikely, and I thought her CPR was a little weak, concidering she's supposed to be a nurse. Overall, I thought it was kind of interesting, but the action (besides Italy) was rather generic and the narration was poor.

I have to give this crapfest a 2 out of 10.

The crappy Alias-esque plot and dialogue left me wanting to beat myself in the head with a hammer.

The best parts are when

Hunt's "girlfriend" is shot infront of him, and when Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character gets hit by the car.

Archived