Home

Sam and Max over at Telltale

Thriftweed_

Nice, can't wait. Pity the site seems to be down at the mo (prolly just maintenence, I'll check back later) but hopefully they'll do better than LA did with Sam n Max 2 (although it did look promising)

What do you guys think of the look of it so far? I think it is looking quite nice, I have been comparing the images from Freelance police and this and the art is pretty much similar but not quite as good. There is little differences like Max's mouth doesn't seem quite right and Sam's face is a bit of an odd shape ( not that it isn't anyway ) It is still V early days and i'm sure they will sort all this out.

I think it looks awesome... Max is more white, and his teeth aren't as sharp, and Sam's coat is less clunky, but generally they're the same, which is a good thing.

The only thing I hope they avoid is lack of detail, both of actual objects and in textures.

Oh, and I wonder why they couldn't get the original voice actors... costs, maybe?

Also: Telltale linked to Consolvania. Coolness.

Pretty much guaranteed to be costs. Higher profile voice actors tend to be covered by unions and stuff too, so Telltale probably can't afford to burn 90% of their budget on them.

If the first season does well, perhaps there'll be more to splash on that kind of thing on a second season.

OKay, so I keep getting a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable message whenever I click on that link (or even got to telltale.com) any reasdon for this as I've gone through 2 different ISP's and neitehr would go to the link.

EDIT Never mind, it's sorted, no idea what happened, but whenenver I try to follow the link it come sup with that, if I go to the telltale website some other way (i.e. via google) it's fine.

And yes, major differences for obvious reasons, but I'm not minding it much. Guess I'll wait till the trailer comes out to complain (if I need to)

I think it looks awesome... Max is more white, and his teeth aren't as sharp, and Sam's coat is less clunky, but generally they're the same, which is a good thing.

The only thing I hope they avoid is lack of detail, both of actual objects and in textures.

Yeah I agree on the textures and detail point, the best thing about Sam and Max is the rich detailed scenery. But they look promising so far.

And they should sharpen up Max's teeth for heavens sake.

I think it's looking great! I'm happy that they've managed to keep the same level of graphics that were going to be in the original Sam & Max 2, and the animations in the trailer look really smooth.

Even though the voices aren't as good as the originals, I'm sure after an hour or so of playing the game everyone will get used to them.

I don't see how two hours implies that there'll be hardly any exploration or getting stuck. I don't know about you, but I did a lot of exploration in my first two hours of playing Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and basically every other adventure game out there.

I just hope that they balance the puzzles right and scrap the in-game spoiler system. We all know that walkthroughs are addictive, so having one right under your nose the whole time is a bit of an issue. I can see why Telltale did it for Bone as it's meant to appeal to more casual gamers too (eg: Bone comic fans), but I wouldn't like to see it in Sam & Max.

Thunderpeel, are you talking about the old game not being as edgy/appealing or what? Because surely you're not basing a statement like that on a small teaser trailer, which I incidentally thought had very good dialogue considering that it was restricted to advertising the game's episodic format and GameTap.

Isn't it two hours per episode though? Judging by how many episodes there are going to be, plus the fact that there will be a lot less time between episodes than there usually are between one game and it's sequel, added to the fact that it's all meant to be one big story, I wouldn't really complain too much.

Isn't it two hours per episode though? Judging by how many episodes there are going to be, plus the fact that there will be a lot less time between episodes than there usually are between one game and it's sequel, added to the fact that it's all meant to be one big story, I wouldn't really complain too much.

Where are you getting your info from?! I thought the all games were pretty much stand-alone (compared to Bone anyway). Am I wrong?

They will be standalone, but there'll be a degree of linkage between them much like a sitcom: stuff for those who've played the whole series to appreciate, but just as enjoyable for somebody tuning in for the first time.

Yes, each game will cover a single case, but as the story goes on, you get to realise that they're all linked somehow (much like a TV show season).

Huh? Where on earth does it mention that "you'll realise that they're all linked somehow". This isn't Lost, you know! ;)

Bone is episodic, and Sam & Max will be episodic, but most of the similarities end there. We'll be using a different model with Sam & Max than we use with Bone. A Sam & Max game will be more self-contained than a Bone game — more like playing an episode of a sitcom than a chunk of a movie. Each Sam & Max episode will be shorter than, say, The Great Cow Race, but they'll also be released much closer together. And they'll be even easier on your wallet.

A direct analogy to a sitcom is made. I can't think of a single sitcom that doesn't link the episodes together in some way, be it ongoing jokes or slight changes to the universe (see: Barney going sober for a significant number of episodes in The Simpsons). However, most sitcom episodes have self-contained storylines.

Pretty simple! After all, why wouldn't they include references to past episodes in the later episodes? Referential humour is always good, and often easy.

Very first question in the FAQ

Season 1 will debut this fall at GameTap and on Telltale's site with short, punchy episodes released in rapid succession, each telling a self-contained story, all the while feeding into a grander season-wide arc.

I suppose I used the wrong words, and yes, made them sound like a season of Lost (so glad I don't watch that, I really don't have time to be wrapped up in some TV show), but as it says, each episode will "feed into a grander season arc".

So perhaps the cases won't all be connected and instead we'll get a nugget of information in each episode that'll seem insignificant until later or something, I don't know. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I can't think of a single sitcom that doesn't link the episodes together in some way

I was gonna say Seinfeld, but then George quits his job at some point and spends a lot of one or two seasons looking for another (plus the whole "Show about nothing" thing). But I do think it's the most self contained show out of most sitcoms when it comes to each episode (well, the early ones at least).

Most TV shows have seasons, and each season has some recurring event (such as George's job hunt in Seinfeld, or any Curb Your Enthusiasm season) but each show has its own completely different event as well.

I hope Sam and Max is like this. I know myself and how I like to play adventure games. I usually can only handle 2 hours of straight gameplay, tops, before I'm tired, regardless of the quality of the game. Plus, a lot of people in the world (many of my friends included) lost interest in a game if its too long, and never finish it (like the Myst series, fun, but long to the casual gamer)

It would be great if it worked like Monkey Islands' chapters. I always found that to be a great invention for adventures. What's bugging me most is when I can't load an old save game and get going.

You can't have a quest log like in RPGs, cause that might spoil some puzzles. Grim's dialogue transcription might have been an attempt at tackling that problem, but would probably not work.

Archived