Home

Poll: 8th May - 14th

Guest DarthMaulUK

Do you like the direction of the expansion?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction of the expansion?

• Yes i do
    • Nope. Terrible idea.

Guest DarthMaulUK

So the announcement has been made and Empire at War gains its first, from I hope many, expansions.

Alot of debate has focused on the negative sides of the game going 'sideways' and leaving out some of the traditional characters from the galaxy.

However, as most of you know, some of the best games have come from new content and direction. Knights of the Old Republic was set 4000 years before all this started and was brilliant - Dark Forces brought us new characters and Shadows of The Empire did the same.

I'm dead excited at the news and cant wait for it. Whats your thoughts?

And remember - NO flaming and keep it ON topic and constructive - a reminder as this is a very heated discussion topic

DMUK

I really do like the idea! Witht the article yesterday it just didnt give the expansion justice. But it is apparent that the expansion will continue where EaW left off and go straight down the road to RoTJ era.

It is apparent there are going to be more advanced features added, slowing production anyone? And this is really going to add flavor to the game.

With the addition of new units and obviously new maps it is going to be excellent.

I like the way they're going with it. Having all the heroes he know and love would be nice, but I'm all about doing things differently like they have done with this expansion. And since this is something completely new, it has tons of potential to go in any direction.

The technical side of the expansion sounds great, but I don't think they'll be able to pull off the storyline properly. I'm not opposed to the idea of a new big-time villan being introduced, nor the possibility that he might be able to sieze an Eclipse-Class SSD. But I doubt Petroglyph's ability to tell a story of depth required to explain all of this stuff using the EaW engine. I could be wrong, but so far it sounds like a sure-fired continuity mess that will have to be sorted out later.

I could be wrong, but so far it sounds like a sure-fired continuity mess that will have to be sorted out later.

EAW is technically so low on the canon scale as to be practically non-continuity. So this isn't really much of an issue.

I like the way this is going, it sounds like it could be fun.

Also, it'll add more pirate units to the game which is always good.

EAW is technically so low on the canon scale as to be practically non-continuity. So this isn't really much of an issue.

Says who?

In fact, the newer ships of EaW have actually become part of the Star Wars universe now. Continuity is a big deal in any Star Wars game.

Don't worry Petro has some of the best working for them ;) Im sure they can do it justice with their engine.

They are still upgrading the Imps and Rebs, so you can still play as them. They were just telling us a small part of the whole expansion (the pirate part) to get us going. I love the idea for multiplayer! Hiring out the pirates and betting you can deal with them later if they get stronger...

Says who?

In fact, the newer ships of EaW have actually become part of the Star Wars universe now. Continuity is a big deal in any Star Wars game.

Don't worry Petro has some of the best working for them ;) Im sure they can do it justice with their engine.

so says the canon policy for Star Wars as far as Lucas Film/Lucas Arts have specified.

All Games with the Star Wars label are right down the bottom of the pile as far as Canon goes. If something from a game is used in higher up Canon then thats cool, but anything that happens in the game that is contradicted by a novel from the star wars EU or the Films is superceded by that higher source.

I wouldnt go so far as to say the video games are not part of continuity though. If what you were saying is the case then developers could go all out creating wacky Star Wars spin-offs because it doesnt matter. But they still must conform with Star Wars history.

Here's the actual Cannon policy:

Now the top level of Canon is George Lucas and the films. AkA G-Level Cannon.

Expanded Universe as a whole falls under C-Level Cannon.

So all EU is on the same playing field. Also, Newer>Older (for G-Cannon) in continuity for the most part. That is why the Special Editions of Star Wars supercede the original releases.

So technically a novel writer cant go out and write a novel saying Kyle Katarn never visited the Valley of the Jedi, because C-Cannon says otherwise. (Jedi Knight Video games) But if Lucas had for example included Kyle in Episode III (For example) and made that statement, than yes that could supercede C-Cannon.

I understand where this is going and honestly I'm having visions of Yuri's Revenge where we had 2 sides ultimatly fighting a third...

The biggest reason Star Wars games are so low on the cannon level is because of how no one really wants to experience the same sort of thing over again, because of the nature of EaW they can go into older games and dredge up stuff and incorporate it because it does exist and it allows them to give it a fresh perspective in new light. Like the TIE Phantoms, they were introduced in Rebel Assault 2, they're fighters that can cloak, must de-cloak to fire though and if I remember correctly can hyperspace on their own too....

So my view is this, chances are the continuity will be from a Rebel "victory" since they destroyed the Death Star (And in the history of EVERY game with a sequal the good guys won before, necause the bad guy winning meant total annhilation). So we'll have both sides start fighting each other and a mission or two in things will happen where this pirate faction begins to show itself, then the Rebel or Imperial enemy takes a back burner for a couple moments while the new threat asserts itself, then as you win some more the two threats combine ala Dune RTS, or Generals Zero Hour games where for the last few fights are against the combined forces of both factions...

Should be interesting... I want my 'It's a Trap'™ slot, where the Imperials can hide a SINGLE fleet around one planet in the entire galaxy, where even recon doesn't see it, can't be a MASSIVE fleet as it'd be hard to hide, but enough to put up an unexpected fight and give the attacker a bloody nose.... Limit it by pop cap size, so the 'It's a Trap'™ slot would have a limit of say 20-35 pop cap points... Not enough to win the fight, but enough the make the enemy think about retreating or commiting with a secondary fleet on standby....

The pirate part to me does not really appeal to me. I do hope you can still Play as the Empire and Rebels.

Why?

Empire: SUPER. STAR. DESTROYER. EXECUTOR. (so the pirates can get the Eclipse, I will always prefer The Executor) Hopefully The Death Star 2. God destroying Capital ships would be ace!

I was surprised they didnt go purely post ep IV or Clone wars but this is really kinda intresting. Why not shake it up alittle. I dont want to play as these pirates but I will really enjoy crushing them with my SSD's and DS II. Wonder if you will be able to build both the DS and the DS II at the same time in Galactic Conquest mode?

In all fairness the expansion doesn't just "go sideways". The incorporation of the B-wing, the SSD and not to mention the second Death Star certainly demonstrates that the timeline is moving steadily forward. So we probably don't get to replay the Battle of Endor (although who knows?) but I can live with that. When I blew up the first Death Star in the Rebel campaign it didn't happen anywhere near Yavin and that was fine. :thmbup1:

I made a pledge not to write in this forums; however, I thought I would answer this one question. I think it was important to add other elements that were not Empire and Republic to the game. What deeply conscerns me is that this expansion pack has a lot of items, which the modders wanted to create for the game. I know that Petro visits these forums, so I am guessing that the reason why they did not release modding tools (Map Editor, Etc...), and why they keep delaying it, is so they can keep coming to this site and make a profit off of everyone's ideas. Otherwords, they are taking inventory of what everyone is commenting on, and then they are going to sell to you on what you as a modder want to do. Some changes are very logical.

Lets look at what is going to be in the 'Expansion' Pack, which modders were pushing to add themsevles:

1. Death Star that can fire on the fleet.

(I saw this mentioned a few hundred times in these forums.

2. Tie Interscepter & Vader's Star Destroyer

(I know this is logical to add, but it was definately mentioned by a modder.)

This is only a few, but one cannot help but wonder what their intent is, and I think they need to justify their intentions. If you happen to notice that other Lucas Arts games are not getting this treatment.

They are going to sell to us the modders what we want to design for this game, and put a illogical price on the whole deal as well. When will it stop?!

There is no doubt in my mind that they are coming to these forums, so they can make a profit from what they see here. I have seen this before, and I can see it in Petroglyphs actions. What are the chances that they are using these forums as a marketing tool, so they can get more money from the average modder/game player.

All I am asking everyone to do is to think about the possibility...

Prediction:

The price of the Expansion Pack will be about $30-$40, which is the average price for a whole game. They will not sell the Expansion pack for the normal $20. It is all about money, money, money...

I made a pledge not to write in this forums; however, I thought I would answer this one question. I think it was important to add other elements that were not Empire and Republic to the game. What deeply conscerns me is that this expansion pack has a lot of items, which the modders wanted to create for the game. I know that Petro visits these forums, so I am guessing that the reason why they did not release modding tools (Map Editor, Etc...), and why they keep delaying it, is so they can keep coming to this site and make a profit off of everyone's ideas. Otherwords, they are taking inventory of what everyone is commenting on, and then they are going to sell to you on what you as a modder want to do. Some changes are very logical.

Lets look at what is going to be in the 'Expansion' Pack, which modders were pushing to add themsevles:

1. Death Star that can fire on the fleet.

(I saw this mentioned a few hundred times in these forums.

2. Tie Interscepter & Vader's Star Destroyer

(I know this is logical to add, but it was definately mentioned by a modder.)

This is only a few, but one cannot help but wonder what their intent is, and I think they need to justify their intentions. If you happen to notice that other Lucas Arts games are not getting this treatment.

They are going to sell to us the modders what we want to design for this game, and put a illogical price on the whole deal as well. When will it stop?!

There is no doubt in my mind that they are coming to these forums, so they can make a profit from what they see here. I have seen this before, and I can see it in Petroglyphs actions. What are the chances that they are using these forums as a marketing tool, so they can get more money from the average modder/game player.

All I am asking everyone to do is to think about the possibility...

Prediction:

The price of the Expansion Pack will be about $30-$40, which is the average price for a whole game. They will not sell the Expansion pack for the normal $20. It is all about money, money, money...

Wow! :Open2: I'm speechless. The developers pay attention to fan feedback and incorporate elements that people are asking for, and you accuse them of stealing people's ideas? That's the most ridiculous claim I've heard in a long time. Just because someone, somewhere, mentions that "hey, TIE Interceptors would be cool" they somehow have a copyright on that idea and the developers should be banned from implementing TIE Interceptors in an expansion? It boggles the mind.

Personally I'm glad the map editor was delayed. Yes, I've been plenty frustrated about the delay, but when I saw Darth_Torpid's post...

Actually, these maps will be done using a relatively new funtion of the map editor that we just never had the time to exploit. In fact, the map editor you guys will eventually get to download will have this feature. You'll see...

...that new features would be included it occurred to me that perhaps it was a good thing. Can you imagine the whining we would be listening to later if the editor had come out without this feature and it had subsequently been revealed? There would be hordes of people screaming bloody murder about how LEC/Petro had "cheated" them out of that feature.

And when you say that "other Lucas Arts games are not getting this treatment"; the fact that EaW is getting more/better support is a bad thing now? Since when?

And of course it's about money. You'd hardly expect people to work 40+ hour weeks to create this game for free, would you?

I'm sure you are correct, MacLeodCorp, because after all, you just declared yourself "wise." :p

There is no reason why the developers should limit their expansion to items untouched by modders. First of all, the expansion will be professionally produced, and therefore will be of much higher quality than a mod. Second, the developers have access to all the EaW development machinery that modders lack, so their new units--while maybe the same units being implemented in mods--may include new features that mods cannot create (for instance, a superlaser that fires on capital ships or cloaking devices). Third, everyone in both the modding community and at Petroglyph has to work within the Star Wars universe--so of course many of the ideas are going to overlap!

Archived