Home

WTH a pirate controlling the SSD Eclipse?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How exactly do you know, is it the Eclipse, or some other SSD?

And he doesn't have it at start of the campaign afaik, he gets it somewhere during it or at the end of it..

Your whinging of the expansion before nothing else than just 1 tiny blurb of information is out..Petroglyph is creating their own story you know, they might not follow what you would think as canon to the letter.

Yeah exactly... don't start throwing stones yet as we dont even know that much about the expansion itself. The deal is at the very begining you can expect the pirate leader to be VERY weak but over time he builds up his powers of corruption, etc. So by the end you will be strong enough to steal the ship.

True, but we don't know if it is that same Eclipse they are talking about. Sure it was a bad mistake to name it the same thing but we don't know for sure. At this point I would tell you to attend the live dev chat on May 25th so you can voice your opinion to the devs themselves.

I really like your noobish pirate remark :p haha

Actually I don't think I'd mind the Eclipse being the ultimate prize the Crime Lord saught. This game has been promising the ability to change the fate of the galaxy. Well, that's what you're doing here too, trying to change the fate of the galaxy in a way.

Also with characters like Durga the Hutt who've had superlasers in their hands in the past, and rogue warlords with SSDs , or Booster with his Star Destroyer similar incedents have happened within the EU.

well its pretty obvious it is going to be the executor, seeing as how that is the time it is being built, right after the destruction of the 1st death star

EDIT: my bad i misread....WHY WOULD THEY PUT THE ECLIPSE IN THERE???

As mentioned by Darth Fergie, there have been several occassions of similar merit. After all, Warlord Zsinj was in command of an SSD, in fact he was in command of 2 SSDs for a short period of time. He was considered a rogue pirate, and there you have it.

As for the Eclipse, I'm all for that :D

Overall , i think that the idea of making pirate scums a major faction isnt bad at all. However, i strongly belive it would have been better to do that in a SECOND post ROTJ XP... Indeed, i hardly imagine the omniscient emperor letting pirates getting such a weapon. Secondly, if this pirate XP would have been set post ROTJ, it would have had all the time to develop this superweapon ala Darksaber....

The only way to make the pirate campaign "realistic" is to make the Empire defeated at Endor and let the story go on with the New Republic fighting the Imperial Remenants

Actually I don't think I'd mind the Eclipse being the ultimate prize the Crime Lord saught. This game has been promising the ability to change the fate of the galaxy. Well, that's what you're doing here too, trying to change the fate of the galaxy in a way.

Except that the Eclipse class Super Star Destroyer is Post ROTJ. There are only a few Pre-ROTJ SSDs that I know of (Executor, Brawl (Iron Fist), Lusankya to name a few).

A congratulation Scaling pic from LoW

http://legacy.gamemod.net/images/renders/i%20got%20your%20scale%20for%20ya.jpg

Sovereign, ISD and SSD Scaled side by side

News from PFF

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=3627.msg51198#msg51198

Simple fix, make Tyber sponsored by some rogue moffs during the civil war to run their shadier operations. He's second fiddle to Xixor until Xixor buys the farm, then after endor the Moffs use his connections to try to figure out what the emperor was hiding at kuat as a secret project, but Tyber has already become a semi-warlord like Zsinj from thier wealth. Run the game 2 years post endor when the eclipse hull is withdrawn to Byss. If he is more of an evil Talon Karrde it will play better, make sense in continuity as well, since quite literally the machinations would be in the shadows and secretive and we wouldn't have a missing highly visible character in the existing storylines.

I can't go into any further detail at this point, but your suggestion is not far from the mark in several respects. Bravo! ;D

*looks around office for the EvilleJedi's hidden microphone*

There's no reason whatsoever why they can't invent a new SSD and christen it 'Eclipse'--it doesn't have to conform to every single aspect of the EU, comic art, made-up force dispositions, etc. After all, Michael Stackpole invented the Lusankya all by his self--the thing never existed before. Petroglyph can do the same thing. The one from the comics looks stupid anyways.

I have no problem with a crime lord gunning for the ship. It's the ultimate Star Wars heist!

Being the nerdy nerd that I am..... I have the Essential guie to vehiles and vessels of Star Wars.... Released back in '96 of course...

This book has the following under the Eclipse Super Star Destroyer...

-----------

Kuat Drive Yards Eclipse-Class Super Star Destroyer

Emperor Palpatine was never one for subtlety. His Empire had been built on a foundation of rule through terror. When he reappeared on the galactic stage six years after his apparent "death" at the battle of Endor, he returned to his old ways of grandioseweapons and attacks of stunning brutality. Renewed in a fresh clone body, Palpatine gathered his abilities from the remaining Imperial factions and directed his forces from a new command vessel, the Eclipse.

The Eclipse was a new Super Star Destroyer that was a stunning 17.8 kilometers long: it was twice the size of the original Super Star Destroyer and over ten times the size of Imperial Star Destroyers. The Emperor's new flag ship was as much a symbol of Palpatine's thirst for power as it was military materiel.

The incredible ship was deliberatly designed to frighten enemy forces, for a frightened enemy is a defeated enemy. The ship was solid black, and it's hull resembled that if naval warships of eras long past. The Eclipse easily achieved its objective of demoralizing enemy troops.

In combat, the Clipse's hull and shields were so strong that it could ram enemy vessels without hesitation. The ship was equipped with ten gravity-well projectors to prevent enemy vessels from escaping into hyperspace. Five hundred heavy laser cannons and 550 turbolasers made the ship capable of engaging entire New Republic fleets. The Eclipse carried fifty squadrons of TIE Interceptors (six hundred ships) and eight squadrons of TIE Bombers.

The Eclipse was also intended to devastate entire worlds. Its main weapon was a superlaser weapon, although its power was only two-thirds that of the main weapon aboard the first Death Star it was "merely" powerful enough to crack the crust of a planet rather than destroy it outright.

For ground assaults, the Eclipse carried five prefabricated garrison bases and one hundred AT-AT walkers. With a crew of over 700,000 beings and 150,000 troops, the destroyer rivaled the Death Star in sheer manpower.

The Eclipse was stopped over the Pinnacle Moon when Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa Solo joined Force energies to engulf Emperor Palpatine in a wave of life energy. This action stunned Palpatine, forcing him to lose control over the Force storms he had summoned. As Luke and Leia escaped from the Eclipse, the storms consumed and destroyed the vessel.

----------------------------------

So... It would appear that they're creating their own rendition of the ship as the Eclipse is AFTER RotJ... The TIE Phantom however is BEFORE RotJ (See Rebel Assault 2, the TIE Phantom is a TIE fighter capable of cloaking)

Vader had a Super Star Destroyer capable of cloaking in Rebel Assault 2, though to my recolection is was destroyed by 'Rookie One' and Ru Merline when they destroyed the TIE Phantom production facility it was docked with. However, it is important to bare in mind that the 'Rookie One' had stolen a TIE Phantom, which was then destroyed remotely at the end of the game.

So yeah... They appear to be re-writing Star Wars history, unless this Eclipse is a predessor to the Eclipse I described above....

So, yeah....

The expansion will most likely cover a wide period of time, starting at the destruction of Death Star I and possibly going into beyond the battle of Endor to the Eclipse. It is going to be fun to see how this works out. The TIE Phantom is an intereasting thing to include... Im not quite sure how that will work.

I bet the Phantom will be cut :p

Do the Rebels have any real counterparts to the SSDs?

If it's a ship available to GC or skirmish (like in most future mods), wouldn't the player be overwhelmingly powerful? It would kinda screw the balance, well.....unless you give A-Wings a "crash into the bridge" option ;).

lol, it just seems to me that most SSDs tend to either:

-Crash into larger objects

-Get blown by saboteurs

-Get rammed by some self-sacrificing suicide squad

One thing I do miss from Rebellion is the capability of disabling a planets shields or defenses using spec forces/spies. It would be nice if that concept made a return here.

Archived