Home

WTH a pirate controlling the SSD Eclipse?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out they were talking about the Eclipse-class Star Dreadnought <_< This has to be the worst storyline ever. A common criminal competing against a Galactic Empire and a Rebellion powerful enough to defeat it, and managing to get a giant weapon capable of destroying planets? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It's the Eclipse-class Super Star Destroyer for sure. This will be interesting. I just hope they name it in game as the "Eclipse-class Super Star Destroyer" or "Eclipse SSD" and not "the Super Star Destroyer: Eclipse."

I guess I'd let them get away with it since they're going with the "You can change Star Wars history" line, but the Eclipse is still Post-ROTJ. Does the expansion go that far into the timeline?

Lets get back on subject. One idea that petroglyph could have done is allow an eclispe to be built on each side, although only one may get it. In the regular lore, the eclipse was destroyed with the Emperor Inside it above Kuat. But once again, they are going for the, you control the outcome view for the game.

Hopefully they will name all the units right(Executor-class Star Dreadnought, Eclipse-class Star Dreadnought) and actually replace non existant units(tartan) with the cannon versions that do the EXACT same thing.

I doubt that any units will be replaced in this expansion.

I really don't like the thought of the Eclipse in the expansion; it seems more like they're trying to draw everyone back with the big toys, but failed to see that introducing TWO new Super Star Destroyer classes is overkill, in my opinion.

Besides, the Eclipse should even be there. If it were there in the movies, the Rebellion would have been crushed, no doubt.

Lancers were invented for the X-Wing games; they are no more 'canon' than Tartan Patrol Cruisers, which are now in the StarWars.com Databank and entered Imperial service pre-Lancer. Give that fight up already.

Wrong.. Lancers were introduced in the Thrawn Trilogy

Turns out they were talking about the Eclipse-class Star Dreadnought <_< This has to be the worst storyline ever. A common criminal competing against a Galactic Empire and a Rebellion powerful enough to defeat it, and managing to get a giant weapon capable of destroying planets? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Prince Xizor's Black Sun was so powerful that he could consider, and actually did, face off against Lord Vader himself. So no, your perception of the storyline is what is the worst ever, not the story itself. Who said anything about Tyber being a common criminal?

Prince Xizor's Black Sun was so powerful that he could consider, and actually did, face off against Lord Vader himself. So no, your perception of the storyline is what is the worst ever, not the story itself. Who said anything about Tyber being a common criminal?

When exactly did he face off against Vader? I remember Xizor trying to subvertly destroy Vader, like killing Luke, etc. I never remember Xizor going into open conflict with Vader.

Why would he? He was the Emperor's friend; he had nothing to gain inciting a war between the Black Sun and the Empire. And there has, as of late, been no correlation between Tyber and the Black Sun.

So yes, I believe his storyline perception IS correct. I also believe it not to be very pliable that the Empire would allow their most POWERFUL Star Dreadnought to fall into the hands of Pirates; the Empire may have been sloppy, but not that sloppy.

To solve this is simple, edit the XML that makes the eclipse a pirate side and then make another unit on the pirate that is amost as equally powerful. In the end you can solve the problem yourself. It is not a big deal right now, coincidering how moddable the game will be.

I'm not so sure it's set in stone that Zann gets the Eclipse. My guess is that the Underworld campaign is centred on GETTING the Eclipse, and if you succeed you get to use it in the last mission. If it is in the Galactic Conquest game at all I'm betting that it costs a bundle, requires level 5 research and moves really, really slow.

But I still think it's a background unit. It doesn't seem to have any hardpoints in any of the screens I've seen, and no one seems to be targetting it. I'm thinking it'll be like Death Star II, hanging back from the action and taking potshots at other ships, maybe even spawning some garrisoned units like the Death Star does.

After having waited with baited breath for the expansion and having just watched the trailer all I can say is the expansion looks…stupid…a pirate faction getting a capital ship that dwarfs a super star destroyer, with enough power to destroy a planet (effectively) is just nuts. The Eclipse is simply titanic. If you want to see a comparison from the Dark Empire sourcebook regarding ship scales then go to this site below. Mind you this site argues the true length of the standard Super Star Destroyer is 19km, which is that of the Eclipse. http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/weg/ships.gif

I have already seen a lot of points raised already, and this is just my two cents worth but it just stuffs up the accepted star wars history and is really implausible.

Some have said that since Xizor’s outfit could take on Vader that this criminals power grab is plausible….wrong. Xizor got owned and got owned by a small portion of the Empires military might. If any faction in the SW universe grew dangerous enough they would be dealt with accordingly by either the Rebels or the Empire, especially if they have such juicy technology as claimed in the demo. The Empire can spend unimaginable amounts of credits on R&D but some glorified smuggler/galactic drug dealer gets his hands on advanced tech first? Yeah right. And a Sith witch? C'mon, give me a break. The two Sith dudes running the galaxy would be more closely aligned to her than the criminals.

I saw reference to all these storylines where criminals and others got their hands on ISDs and SSDs and to be frank; all that is retarded too. If it’s expanded universe, its just crap. I don’t even want the Eclipse in the game because it’s from Dark Empire and that is nothing but a spin off. That goes for SOTE too. That was dumb. As if the Emperor would get rid of one of the last jedi in the galaxy in favour of some criminal. The line should be drawn at ROTJ. If Empire at War is going down the EU tangent, and messing up the time line; bring on the World Devastators and Sun Crushers and all those other ridiculous super weapons. And I really don’t think the Eclipse will be a background unit. How else are you supposed to destroy it? Good ol’ Red Squadron? What about the Empire? If it is set after ROTJ, Vader is dead and the second DS is space junk? What’s the Empire going to do?

I saw a remark that EAW was marketed as “make your own star wars history” but that is all it is, a marketing ploy. All games where the player can play as the Empire are going to allow the possibility to an Empire victory, but they do so without stuffing up the accepted history too much. Rebellion was a great game for sticking closely to the true Star Wars history and personally, I would have liked to have seen the graphics of EAW with the strategic view of Rebellion. That was such a cool game, even though the ships capabilities were inaccurate for equality. And the mighty Lancer frigate made an appearance in that game if you remember; and in X:Wing Alliance.

I don’t think the TIE Phantoms should be in it; I think they should be Advanced’s instead, at least this ties (pardon the pun) in with Vaders TIE X-1 and the flight sim games etc, although their performance could not be much better than the new Interceptors otherwise they will be unbalancing. The new interceptors will probably be the best fighter available. Though they could always compensate by jacking up the price. Personally they don’t need to include any other fighter than the interceptor for the Empire. The Lancer frigate was described as far back as the WEG SW RPG in the Imperial Sourcebook, first Ed in 1989, two years before Zahn’s books. It was apparently first built after the destruction of the first Death Star. I am one of those in favour of renaming the Tartan.

The B-wings I expect will be overly effective against capital ships but this will be needed for parity. They will be tough but vulnerable to fighters as expected.

Personally, though I love SSDs, I don’t know how practical they are going to be in game. Corvettes are microscopic in comparison; Have a look at IGN’s website:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/827/827314/imgs_1.html

What I would like to see is options for star destroyers. Since it’s accepted that there are two versions, the later model should feature heavier firepower for increased cost. And how about these options for debate:

*Rebel Frigates can spawn 1 Sqdn of X-Wings

*Mon Cals can spawn 1x X-Wing, A-Wing, and Y-Wing (or B-Wing) Sqdns

*ISDs to compensate for Mon Cals fighters gains an extra 2x TL, 2x Ion

*Victory SDs weapons changed to 2x TL, 4x Torps, and made slower

*Allow upgrade to Victory II which has 4x TL, 2x Ion, slightly faster than Victory SD.

*Allow upgrade to Imperial II which has 4x Hvy TL, 2x TL, 2x Ion

*Introduce Rebel Bulk Cruiser which has 2xLC and 1x X-Wing, A-Wing, and Y-Wing (or B-Wing) Sqdns

*Introduce Carrack cruiser with 1 TL 2x LC 1xTIE scout sqdn

*Introduce Strike cruiser with 2x TL 1x Ion 1xTIE sqdn

*Maybe even introduce a dreadnought with 2x TL 2x LC 1xTIE sqdn

As for ground stuff, the only real necessary inclusion is TIE fighters for the Empire. Rebels dont really need anything, they kick butt on the ground as is plus they are getting Yoda and Luke.

I hope the developers read this and change a few things before its release. I really wish they went back in time and did a clone wars version with Venators, Acclamators (in the time period they should be), Dreadnoughts and CIS vessels, jedi fighters, clones, droids, gunships etc. Now that would be good.

First of all, there are no Sith witches in the game. The Dathomiri witches have nothing whatsoever to do with the Sith.

On the subject of the Lancer I agree with you. Why invent a new ship that does exactly the same when there's already an existing one? That looks cooler, to boot.

Could a criminal organization stand up to the Empire in a toe-to-toe slugfest of military might? Of course not, as Xizor found out in Shadows of the Empire. However, in subterfuge, manipulation and deviousness they could certainly hold their own. And since this is a computer game and not real life, they could hardly NOT give the underworld faction warships and ground troops. That would be pretty boring.

Of course the unit scales are off. If everything was to scale we wouldn't be able to see the starfighters at all next to the capital ships. Again, it's a computer game, not an engineering thesis.

Finally I would just like to say that if the thought of these things bug you so much, don't buy the game. It really is that simple.

Archived