Home

OMFG!! HALO 3 REVEALED!!

HALO 3 REVEALED!!!

All I can say is Holy F

Looks nice, but it feels a bit premature for me to get excited about Halo 3 when Halo 2 isn't even out yet. :) At that rate it'll probably take a few more years before Halo 3 becomes available for PC. At least the first game was fun to play.

Yup, looks great even though nowhere I go will download the trailer. I'm glad to see the assault rifle is back, but it looks like I'll have to wait like, 5 years before I get to play it on PC...because I'm getting a Wii. (Ugh, I hope that isn't the real name.)

From a designer's point of view, Halo II was the most horribly designed game of all time. From an entertainment perspective, it did have some intresting qualities. However, the game is primitive in style and technique.

When ID moved from Doom 2 to Doom 3, there was a jump in style and story. Halo will never get that far unless they pull away from the 1980 style games. or, maybe that is what people like about it.

I hope there is a jump in design and quality between Halo 2 and 3.

From a designer's point of view, Halo II was the most horribly designed game of all time. From an entertainment perspective, it did have some intresting qualities. However, the game is primitive in style and technique.

When ID moved from Doom 2 to Doom 3, there was a jump in style and story. Halo will never get that far unless they pull away from the 1980 style games. or, maybe that is what people like about it.

I completely agree with this statement, Halo 2 seemed dull and uninspired compared to Halo. I mean common, all that was new was a few vehicles and dual wielding. It reminded me of every sports franchise, just recycled game plauy with a few tweaks and slightly better graphics. Halo 3 will probably be more fo the same.

i have to disagree, if only slightly. the first Halo was fantastic and deserves recognition as one of the greatest games ever made. the fact that Bungie got a lot of things right the first time means that its sequel would almost have to be pretty much just a continuation of the storyline. the idea is that a sequel to a popular franchise cannot differ much from its predecessor as it needs at least a similar style of gameplay to the first for the sake of continuity.

as for the jump from Doom 2 to Doom 3, your points aren't entirely valid. first, iD has blatently admitted that Doom 3 was just a remake of the first Doom. second, the whole idea of Doom 3 was to push current technology to its limits in order to produce a game that was quite a bit different from the first Doom simply due to the mechanics of realistic graphics and fully 3D positional audio. they didn't change a lot: just the technology behind it.

given that Doom 3 isn't a true sequel, as its just a remake, then your comparisons are even less coherent since Halo 2 is clearly a continuation of the storyline presented in the first game.

another thing to take into consideration is the time difference. not only was Halo 2 released within 3 years of the first Halo, it was also released on the same exact system. in other words, the technology hadn't changed. what they could do with the technology had advanced, but not by a vastly signifigant margin. the time difference between the original Doom and Doom 3, on the other hand, was over a full decade. considering that you can play the original Doom without a graphics card speaks volumes as to the technology difference between the two games.

the main point is that most game series have the origninal title as the ground-breaking and innovative titel while the sequels it spawns usually fall into the category of evolutionary. the same is true for the Halo series. and not only do i prefer simple evolution for Halo 3, i'm expecting it.

I can't believe that there are people who are talking sense in this thread, I wholeheartedly agree that the first Halo deserved recognition but the second was overhyped... TO THE MAX lol.

And it's looking like 3 will have the same hype which is a shame unless they really shake things up with Halo 3, but I doubt that.

I don't want to spoil the party, but that was so obviously pre-rendered. If you think Halo 3 looks like that...

It will be a good game, but we can't judge it by a simple pre-rendered movie?

This will only put more pressure on Bungie, since people will expect these graphics. The same happened to Killzone. Everyone who watched the trailer was blown away, but the team has already commented it can't be done...

I'm not saying i'm not convinced it will rock, far from it. But i'll me a bit less sceptic the time they'll show actual gameplay footage...

For me the style, and programming of the first two were fine, although i don't know much about designing. So people can say all they like that from a designers perspective it was poor, but from an entertainment perspective, they were sooo enjoyable to play. And isn't that why we buy and play computer games, to have fun, not to pick wholes in how they were desinged. So on that note i'm just looking forward to continueing a briliant story.

@Ztalker- actually, it was rendered real-time on a 360 that was on hand.

From Gamespot.com:

The Bungie representatives made it clear to us that the trailer was running in real-time on the Xbox 360. The trailer is set in the African desert, and it was taken from roughly a third of the way through the game. Cowan noted that the constant battling has taken its toll on Master Chief, and you can see that by the many scratches and gouges in his armor. The flashes of Cortana seen in the trailer fill you in on the state of her mind, and the Forerunner structure seen in the distance at the end of the trailer represents a pivotal point in the story.

We next met with Marcus Lehto, Bungie's art director, who filled us in on the technology as he gave us a fly through of the locations in the trailer. The crater seen in the trailer is three miles across, and it's all rendered in real geometry. Halo 3 has a new global lighting system that now lights everything uniquely from the same source, which explains just how that setting sun looked that good as it illuminated everything in the trailer. Halo 2, on the other hand, used a lighting system that lit everything separately. Meanwhile, parallax mapping is able to give depth to structures in the distance, such as the clouds above the crater. A new particle system offers different levels of light diffusion to take the quality of the atmosphere into account, and that makes for different layers of light.

The demo shifted away from the crater to the part of the level you see the Master Chief walking in from. He was controllable, which means that the trailer indicates just how good the game will look. Lehto was able to zoom in on the Master Chief with the camera, and you could see the many different ways light reflected objects onto him. For example, you could see light reflect off the ground and onto his armor. A new materials system shows the difference between his armor and the rubber undersuit. It's so detailed that if you bring the camera close to the Master Chief's visor, you see everything in front of him reflected in it, right down to the ammo counter in his rifle.

source: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149725&pid=926632

Okay...now you got me blown away, stingerhs :D

*scepticism mode off*

Zomg! Ubercool!

If this is what the 360 is capable of, Playstation and Nintendo have underestimated them completely!

Depending on what the PS3 has to offer visually, I agree that 360 has them both over their knee right now. I've looked at some of the upcomming titles on G4tv's E3 coverage and the 360 is only starting to warm up. The capabilities are there. It's up to the developers and what they can create.

...good luck Mario.

I wasn't sure if it was pre-rendered or not (sadly, I haven't been able to follow E3 as closely as I'd have liked) but even as a cutscene it looked good.

Thanks fo da link stinger:D

@Mac, What, specifically, was wrong with it?

@Lynk, If Halo 2 was sooooo overhyped, why was there a wating last at my local LAN party last nite (7 360's + 1 XI = 32 players)? If it doesn't rule people would've figured that out by now.

Don't be bitter just because Mario doesn't have a Battle Rifle;)

@JK, Try "swatguns" ;) The pistol was excellent in the first one, but it was overpowered compared to the other weapons. The battle rifle is a solid replacement.

Although since the assualt rifle and pistol were balanced into the SMG, BR, and magnum it will be interesting to see how they balance the weapons after returning the AR. (AR and all other weapons must be dualable :xp: )

I wasn't sure if it was pre-rendered or not (sadly, I haven't been able to follow E3 as closely as I'd have liked) but even as a cutscene it looked good.

Thanks fo da link stinger:D

@Mac, What, specifically, was wrong with it?

@Lynk, If Halo 2 was sooooo overhyped, why was there a wating last at my local LAN party last nite (7 360's + 1 XI = 32 players)? If it doesn't rule people would've figured that out by now.

Don't be bitter just because Mario doesn't have a Battle Rifle;)

The graphics seemed too plastic. The character design was like watching a bad cartoon. It just seemed too unreal to me. The dialogue was very cornie, and comicbookish in nature. I rented the game for a few days, and I just didn't like the whole concept. The whole thing felt wrong. I am use to playing Doom, Quake, and Hexen, so I must be pushing torwards horror and blood games. Halo 2 reminded me of an old style arcade game, which you lined up your gun, fire, and without deep gore your enemy fades away. Everything in the game looked shiney, and the colors were all wrong for the characters. At the beginning of the game, the aliens that invaded the spacestation were unbelieveable. There was an alien dude that was defecting, and he had some really cornie dialogue. It has been a while. I remember the parts that looked too fake.

Archived