Home

Conundrum: Lucas OT Edits vs. Prequels

The Source

A really good friend of mine and I are contreplating some intresting things.

I thought I would share them.

As you all know, George made several changes to the Original Trilogy. What is intresting is that there are conundrums, which conflict with Star Wars lure, and the Prequel Trilogy.

Some of the things we are talking about is:

1. If Anakin's Force Ghost reflects the last moment he was a Jedi, then why did George edit the movie to reflect a Ghost that was not the very last moment he was a Jedi? Since Darth Vader is a Dark Jedi, for he didn't start out being evil, then why the big change? If you think about it, the last time Anakin was truely a Jedi is when he sacrificed himself for his son. Remember, a Jedi's life is about sacrafice.

2. Anakin's Ghost shows up at the end, but who taught him how to communie (sp?)? During the end of Episode III, Yoda taught Ben to commune (sp?), so how did Anakin know how to do that?

Some of the things I just though about:

1. During Episode V, Yoda tell Lukes that 'the Force surrounds us, penatrates us, and combines us.' It was made clear that the Force is a spiritual essence, which can be manipulated through consentration. Why is it that the Mediclorian's (sp?) are microscopic beings, which the Jedi communicate with? Doesn't that take away the spiritual idea of the Force?

2. Anakin's Ghost shows up at the end, but who taught him how to communie (sp?)? During the end of Episode III, Yoda taught Ben to commune (sp?), so how did Anakin know how to do that?
That has nothing to do with the changes. That is a problem with the original version as well.

1. During Episode V, Yoda tell Lukes that 'the Force surrounds us, penatrates us, and combines us.' It was made clear that the Force is a spiritual essence, which can be manipulated through consentration. Why is it that the Mediclorian's (sp?) are microscopic beings, which the Jedi communicate with? Doesn't that take away the spiritual idea of the Force?
I guess to an extent. But the midiclorians are not the Force. They are the means through which Force-sensative beings "communicate" with it. The Force itself is still the same spiritual essense.

I agree that it isn't really necessary to the story, but I don't think it destroys the mysticism of the Force to the extent that many claim it does.

That has nothing to do with the changes. That is a problem with the original version as well.

Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp

Do you think it is a problem with the Original Trilogy, or do you think Yoda's words could have been cut from the Prequel?

The bible doesn't say anything in the beginning about Jesus having magic powers, suddenly he just cures a blind guy. I didn't hear anyone complaining then.

He's the mother ****ing chosen one, he doesn't need to be taught ****.

Do you think it is a problem with the Original Trilogy, or do you think Yoda's words could have been cut from the Prequel?
I think it is a problem with the OT, but the problem is made more glaring by what is explained in the PT. I've always wondered about how Vader/Anakin knew how to become a Force ghost. When Vader kills Kenobi in ANH, he pokes the remaining robes (and why did the robes remain, when Yoda's didn't?) as if he doesn't understand what happened. That always said to me that he had no knowledge of the process at that time. So how did he know how to do it in the end? Considering he did not disappear as Jinn did not, perhaps he discovered it the same way upon his death.

In that regard, no harm, no foul. :)

A really good friend of mine and I are contreplating some intresting things.

I thought I would share them.

As you all know, George made several changes to the Original Trilogy. What is intresting is that there are conundrums, which conflict with Star Wars lure, and the Prequel Trilogy.

1. If Anakin's Force Ghost reflects the last moment he was a Jedi, then why did George edit the movie to reflect a Ghost that was not the very last moment he was a Jedi? Since Darth Vader is a Dark Jedi, for he didn't start out being evil, then why the big change? If you think about it, the last time Anakin was truely a Jedi is when he sacrificed himself for his son. Remember, a Jedi's life is about sacrafice.

Some of the things I just though about:

During Episode V, Yoda tell Lukes that 'the Force surrounds us, penatrates us, binds us, -not combines us.

You've seen what vader looks like under the helmet? that would be one ugly force ghost plus it'd be missing a couple of limbs too i think its more like a ghost of the last time vader remembers being a jedi and a whole person.

You've seen what vader looks like under the helmet? that would be one ugly force ghost plus it'd be missing a couple of limbs too i think its more like a ghost of the last time vader remembers being a jedi and a whole person.

lol, yeah thats a point, he never had hair or eyebrows when he was in the suit either, Sebastian Shaw is not what Anakin looked like, never when he was a Jedi was he a fat 78 year old man, all of his life past the age of 21 he had a hairless head and no limbs.

And just because he kills the Emperor doesn't mean he is a Jedi, he just isn't being bad anymore, he had to kill himself as well to fulfill the profecy as he was the last remaining Sith.

lol, yeah thats a point, he never had hair or eyebrows when he was in the suit either, Sebastian Shaw is not what Anakin looked like, never when he was a Jedi was he a fat 78 year old man, all of his life past the age of 21 he had a hairless head and no limbs.

And just because he kills the Emperor doesn't mean he is a Jedi, he just isn't being bad anymore, he had to kill himself as well to fulfill the profecy as he was the last remaining Sith.

maybe it's simply how Luke envisioned his father to look like if he'd never had the disfiguring injuries that the vader suit covered.

And since he's dead perhaps communing with the force just happens automatically as his 'force being' returns to the universe.

So, you would always look nice n clean as a force ghost?

Then why don't ObiWan look like his cool pimping self like when he was with Silri?

Other things to note is that Anakin/Vader is technically the "last" remaining Jedi (of the old order) also. So he basically puts a stop to the old page of "regular" Jedi AND Sith.

PS: We are not going to talk about various ghosts/spirits, force wielders in the universe, nor are we going to talk about people stuck in a jar, cloned psychos, or weirdos turning into an ugly chicken sweating healing tears. Those are all really weird cases.

• 2 months later...

Archived