Home

Petroglyph... Some Requests Of Minor Scale

WarlokLord

Though I rave about this game/game series (there was much rejoicing), I have a few requests.

One thing I always loved about the SW universe was the variety to be found. In EAW, I was thrilled to behold the Z95 fighters. Unfortunately they figure almost not at all in the course of a typical game.

Assuming that B-Wings eclipse Y-Wings in the fighter/bomber role, I request the following:

Allow Z95 Fighters to be built at normal price at any time up to the point at which the player unlocks X-Wings (making X-Wings a very cheap initial tech upgrade?); after X-Wings are available, a Rebel player should still be able to build these inferior fighters at reduced cost, perhaps 65% of their original value.

The same applies to Y-Wings in the shadow of B-Wings. I do not want to completely abandon Y-Wings at any point in the game... such would be akin to abandoning X-Wings once we acquire A-Wing tech.

Its certainly not that I want inferior fighters to somehow be made into essential assets to a Rebel force, I`d simply like them to be a low-tech option.

I would like to see an increased incidence of random events that feature these outdated fighters as accomplishment rewards (i.e. "Veterans of Alderaan dust off their starfighting gloves to fight alongside new recruits. x3 Z95 Fighters, x2 Y-Wing Fighter/Bombers").

Finally, *if* you accommodate requests by a few others to increase the population caps, please do so only as an option which is controllable from the menu screens... I am one player who thinks greater numbers will only dilute the tactics that are to be had in this great game. I do not wish to see EAW turn into just another horder.

As example, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn Of War raised pop caps in the last patch and the game suffered for it.

I just wanted to add this inquiry/possible suggestion, minor point it may be.

I noticed a heroine (villain) shown fighting on the surface of a planet was wielding a "lightsabre whip". Normally I`m not one to say 'remain inside the box', but I recall comments out of certain quarters that the concept of a lightsabre whip was frowned upon by the filmakers, the reasoning being they did not want successive progressions (i.e. lightsabre nunchakus, lightsabre shurikens). Maybe that weapon could be downgraded/re-categorized as merely some type of energy whip? Or, you could visualize it as simply a sectional metal whip, with some unseen tech (?) energy keeping the sections in place. That could be equally as neat as any visible "glow tendril". Make the sections out of the Cortosis alloy and the character is then just as capable versus Jedi and Sith as they were before... no mechanics need adjusting.

Just a thought.

Plus this...

Bounty Hunter minor heroes don`t play a great enough role. I think I know why - permanently removing an enemy hero from play would be devastatingly unfair, and would certainly curtail any hero`s partcipation in any game longer than five minutes.

My suggestion would be to allow the elimination of heroes, but 'bounty-hunted' heroes take twice to thrice as long to return to the game as compared to when they are normally defeated.

Perhaps the bounty hunter`s fee is variable: the more money you decide to pay him, the greater his incentive to go after the hero. In that case the chance of success versus a hero is increased, as is the length of time it takes for that hero to return. More powerful heroes would require more money, tougher marks that they are. Minor heroes would automatically be defeated, as normal.

My last idea: an option to turn off the victory condition of killing Mon Mothma or The Emperor to win. When off, either could be slain only to return in time like any other.

If the previous bounty hunting mechanics were used and this option was not, you would have to disallow bounty hunting of those two characters.

Here's another idea for bounty hunters: instead of moving the hunter to a planet, moving them to the neutralize hero slot, paying a fee, and just having the hero removed, it would be neat for some "hunt" process to be implemented. For example, right after payingt he fee, the hunter would spend some time out of player control "tracking" the quarry before the target is elimenated. If the target moves to another system, the hunter follows, but after an extension to the tracking period delay. So the quarry could never totally shake the bounty hunter from their trail, but they could give them the slip from time to time.

On the light-whip:

Although the filmakers did frown upon the idea, a lightsaber whip was used in the pre-Clone Wars novel the Cestus Deception and made for a great duel. I don't think that they'll be adding a light-nunchuck (sp.?) anytime soon though.

The top item on my wish list would be expanded user options. The original post mentioned an adjustable pop cap. I would guess that user defined settings raise problems for multiplayer, but it would be nice to have more control if it's not too far out of scope for the expansion. A good example of what I'd like to see is GalCiv2's options menu. You can change just about every aspect of the game, but that's a single player game. EaW has plenty of unique features to boast of, but it needs some of the user interface and options stuff that have become standard features in almost every other game.

The second item on my wish list is to have the user interface scale up and down along with the resolution settings. With high resolutions, it would be nice to see the UI get smaller. I know, this is probably also out of scope for an expansion, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Even just two different sizes would be an improvement.

Here's another idea for bounty hunters: instead of moving the hunter to a planet, moving them to the neutralize hero slot, paying a fee, and just having the hero removed, it would be neat for some "hunt" process to be implemented. For example, right after payingt he fee, the hunter would spend some time out of player control "tracking" the quarry before the target is elimenated. If the target moves to another system, the hunter follows, but after an extension to the tracking period delay. So the quarry could never totally shake the bounty hunter from their trail, but they could give them the slip from time to time.

That would be neat & fitting. I would be inclined to work things this way only when dealing with major Heroes though, not with the minor Fleet Commanders and Battlefield Commanders.

A random event could then also occur, wherein a party compensates the bounty hunter or his/her organization to remove said bounty. Mon Mothma paying credits to Jabba to stop going after Skywalker, for example. Rare of course.

Archived