Home

Devs please reconsider

While I am happy about an expansion pack for the game I feel that the content is not right. Of course the new things like the Death Star II and the Super Star Destroyer are more than welcomed. But what is with this new race we've never even heard of before? I really want a Clone Wars expansion. I mean if there's going to be any type of expansion for EAW it should be a Clone Wars expansion, not featuring a race that hasn't even appeared in the EU, or isn't even canon for that matter. Please reconsider devs. A Clone Wars expansion would also be MUCH more entertaining than the current expansion, I assure you.

Everyone should get their chance to the Star Wars history. Everything was new at one point in time. The Vong werent around before the New Jedi Order.

I personally like what they are doing, its an area of Star Wars history not yet explored. I have OD'ed on Clone Wars. Now I want something new...

Well at least more Clone Wars stuff is in the expansion. It'll be fun! :)

I agree i like the way its going. I wouldnt buy it honestly if it was a clone wars expansion. My Favorite Period in Star Wars is the Galactic Civil War. I enjoy the Empire and the Rebels fighting.

The Game is called Empire At War afterall. Not republic At War or anything else. Everyone was upset they didnt have SSD etc so why would people want a Clone Wars expansion that would take you even further back in time away from the Ships people really wanted

i agree with you partially lord vader 89 i think its dumb to have a faction that doesnt even exsist in star wars and to give them wierd powers doesnt seem like star wars but more like lotr or some other type of fantasy game. i also agree on the clone wars expansion. and alecsuba the empire was formally the republic so to certain perspectives the game should be called republic at war instead of EAW. one of the main reasons why i will buy the new expansion(about 90% of the reason why) is so i can mod my mod in and some other mods sure it will be fun like all expansions are but it wont be as fun as what a star wars expansion could be.

However, it is good to have some things new. For example, before I thought I wouldn't like Knights of the Old Republic, guess again; it's my favorite game now and will be forever. Also too many Star Wars games have the "see in movie - must see in game" motive. This takes a bit of a turn from that which is pretty cool. One thing though, I'd be willing to actually buy the mod tools for models especially at this point because I really want to work on this mod we're doing.

kotor was good but i just dont like the idea of some mystical faction with powers that seem like some other sci-fi type of game and "laser whips" but its just my opinion kotor had most of the original star wars things like the force powers and such

True there is a difference. KotOR is a full game, whereas FoC is an expansion pack, and what I've seen from many expansion packs (note: not all) are that they come very light-weighted with minimal content.

That doesn't mean though that this expansion will be bad, it could be good, the thing is we don't know and we have no right to judge it as of the time until more information comes out.

Guest DarthMaulUK

The problem you have is if they did do another faction, such as the Gungans, or Wookiees, Republic etc, than it will be taking the timeline backward. Then, if you create a faction that is say 'Rebel friendly' you will have to create a counter, to go with the Empire.

As mentioned, EaW focuses on the best part of the Star Wars Universe and by creating a brand new faction like this (which still uses old Clone-era tech) gives so much more room to expand and explore.

It will certainly have both the Rebels and Empire watching their backs. I'm very excited about all this and can't wait to find out more at the live dev chat coming May 25th..

DMUK

i agree with you partially lord vader 89 i think its dumb to have a faction that doesnt even exsist in star wars

Completely and totally incorrect. Pirates and Fringe characters have been a part of Star Wars history since Boba Fett and Jabba the Hutt. The Fringe is actually far larger, and more powerful, than anybody realizes, as criminals are everywhere, and crime syndicates blossom from nothing. Just look at Jorj Cardas, or Talon Karrde, or Black Sun, or Booster Terrik, or any one of a hundred other Fringe (underworld characters) who are around. If they ever organized themselves, they'd be more than a match for the Rebels and could even pit themselves against the Empire with a good chance of at least doing some damage.

On the subject, Black Sun was so powerful that its leader could consider contesting with Lord Vader himself. It is not far fetched in the least to imagine another character who could do the same. There are a lot of criminals who don't want to be Rebels, and they bring some of the best underhanded and gritty experience with them.

Yes but this isn't even established EU. This is something they made up. OK I would be fine if it was something like Vong or Empire Reborn but it isn't. Still though I want Clone Wars.

The comic book writers made up the Reborn Emperor.

The novelists made up the Yuuzhan Vong.

Novelists and computer game designers made up Black Sun.

BioWare made up the Mandalorians and Sith as we know them today.

For that matter, George Lucas made up Star Wars.

Why can't Petroglyph make up their own contributions?

I'm much happier to see them inventing their own material and mechanics than re-running stuff we already know.

kotor was good but i just dont like the idea of some mystical faction with powers that seem like some other sci-fi type of game and "laser whips" but its just my opinion kotor had most of the original star wars things like the force powers and such

Lightwhip - Star Wars New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology, page 60. We didn't make that one up, but I saw it and HAD to make a hero around it :D

The comic book writers made up the Reborn Emperor.

The novelists made up the Yuuzhan Vong.

Novelists and computer game designers made up Black Sun.

BioWare made up the Mandalorians and Sith as we know them today.

For that matter, George Lucas made up Star Wars.

Why can't Petroglyph make up their own contributions?

I'm much happier to see them inventing their own material and mechanics than re-running stuff we already know.

That might be true, but the mediums you mentioned above (Novel, Comic, RPG, etc.) are appropriate to develop characters and races, and a storyline. An RTS simply isn't. Now if this were a RPG, then things would be different because the characters would be able to be more developed. But it isn't. You can't simply develop characters and a good storyline in this type of game. The only successful RTS I've seen that has done that is Warcraft III, but that itself is a combination of RTS and RPG elements. This game sure isn't. So you shouldn't really introduce new storyline aspects in this type of medium. Just look at Galactic Battlegrounds. It introduced a lot of new storyline things, like Sev Rance Tann. But are they in use by other Star Wars things? No.

That might be true, but the mediums you mentioned above (Novel, Comic, RPG, etc.) are appropriate to develop characters and races, and a storyline. An RTS simply isn't. Now if this were a RPG, then things would be different because the characters would be able to be more developed. But it isn't. You can't simply develop characters and a good storyline in this type of game. The only successful RTS I've seen that has done that is Warcraft III, but that itself is a combination of RTS and RPG elements. This game sure isn't.

You may leave out the "RTS" part of WC3 as that game was anything but strategy. And no, StarCraft did a far better job of developing characters long before WC3 entered the scene, and there is also the character developement and story of Tiberian Sun that proves your point incorrect.

An RTS is just as good a medium for telling stories and creating characters as any other medium, we just don't see it that often because most don't have a clue about how to go about that. But by looking at other examples in the past, you'll see games that pulled it off quite successfully, games in which Westwood, aka Petroglyph, have had a part in.

• 4 weeks later...

I completely agree with Xyvik, hehe i was about to mention the same about starcraft =)

just leave it Vader 89, I sence that Tyber Zaan will get a place in the Expanded Universe canon, maybe even a cameo (like kyle and dash did in NJO) even if his future clouded is XD hahhaha

i think its great that theyre adding something totally different. clone wars would be too repetative, not as in gameplay, i mean everything is going clone wars now. i like the origanal idea of the corupt side. i think this expansion would be way better than a clone wars one.

It is interesting that the only two (and now three) wielders of light whips are all females. Skin tight leather too. Now platform high heels would be a bonus. Then again whould would enjoy seeing a big guy, size of Mr. T, holding a lightwhip wearing hot red lipsticks? (If I remember both Gryffany and Lady Sith have red lipsticks on)

BTW, is there going to be more movies in the game? Since its a bunch of new characters, it would be nice to showcase them not only in "tiny pixel mode"

I welcome the Expansion Pack. At first I was unsure of The Pirate Faction, but I grew to accept it. However, I'll probably stay on galactic conquest, playing as the Empire with my 00ber Death Star II and Executor Super Star Destroyer. However the Eclipse looks PWNSOME too. That superlaser looks ace.

Archived