Home

How to balance the mighty SSD

gates1026

Does anyone have any thoughts as how they may balance the SSD? I imagine that anything that huge is going to be able to go toe to toe with many many rebel or empire capital ships. How do you think they will be able to successfully bring balance to the space battles?

Also, I am wondering how multiplayer skirmishes will work, will any or all sides have the opportunity to build a SSD?

Invincible to everything, costs 10000 maybe 12000 credits, but can be destroyed instantly by a single 200 credit A-Wing fighter.

It must be a single A-Wing fighter (not a group), and the pilot must be screaming.

And... upon destruction of the SSD... Home One suffers a -1 to combat for 5 seconds because Admiral Ackbar gets really sad about this for some wierd, unknown reason.

Well, there are two obvious counters. The first counter is that the new faction has the eclipse while the empire has Vader's regular SSD. The Rebel counter is the Ion Cannon. The SSD must use an awefull lot of your pop cap; It would be very sad to have all those pop cap points just floating around with a blue ion cannon glow.

And... upon destruction of the SSD... Home One suffers a -1 to combat for 5 seconds because Admiral Ackbar gets really sad about this for some wierd, unknown reason.

It always looked more like relief to me...but Ackbar is definitely the type to get sentimental over such massive loss of life.

I think Home One's special ability should count for more against the SSD.

B-Wing.

nuff said.

Unless of course the Imps get the Defender, which I highly doubt. If the Imps get the Defender, then there really is no stopping them. IF they make the Defender as powerful as its supposed to be. But then again, it would also be darn expensive...

Wasn't there a new and improved version of the Mon Calamari cruisers in the Dark Empire comics called the MD-90 or something? That could be a counter. And provided the B-wigs pack a sufficiently powerful punch (one squardon can take out a single hardpoint in one pass) that could also work. In the pen-and-paper roleplaying game (West End Games version) the B-wing has a downright ridiculous firepower.

Your average Mon Cal, even the improved versions, are not themselves a counter to an SSD. Truthfully, bombers are the big counter. Everything else in the rebel fleet is just there to clear a path for them.

no no no. There is not tic for tac balance to the SSD. The balance is that its going to be most likely almost as expensive as the DS to build and that it will take for ever to build. A tech lvl 5 ship too. Yeah it will take a rebel fleet to bring it down and your point is? Its not impossible to destroy anything get some heros enough fighters and bombers and the rebels can destroy it. No a-wing trick. That was pure luck nothing more the rebels would never order a pilot to fly into a captial ship. That is not their way.

Actually, they might already have the counters decided. In the E3 Presentation video (the one that shows Tyber's forces on Felucia, corruption on the Galactic Map, and the space battle at Kamino), pause it at 5:37. It shows the SSD window, and from what I can tell, Y-wings and B-wings are the counter.

OMG. This is my 666th post! :eek:

I would like to think that the point is that there IS no balancing act to the super star destroyer - The rebels were shady guerilla type people, The empire couldnt get their hands on the slimy little buggers!

However, in RTS, all there is now is Rock-Paper-scissors which makes the game rather boring in my view. Most modern combat units are either designed against one thing, or can hold their own against everything, or more that a few things for a short while.

The Rebel flotilla concentrated their firepower on the bridge shields enough for some fighters to get through and blow up the deflector array... Technically after that, any missile would have destroyed the bridge, the explosion went through the bridge etc...

Again, this game will almost certainly be a rock paper scissors thing unfortunately, so I'd guess that three or four bomber squadrons will be able to make one pass and knock out the shields, then slowly, or quickly, depends if they decide to change it, or LET US CHANGE IT USING MODDING TOOLS...

Yeah, the limey bugger will go boom in the end.

Check out the E3 presentation video...at the end, Delphi hovers the mouse over the Executor long enough to see that the in-game encyclopedia claims that the counters to the SSD are Y-Wings and B-Wings.

I'm willing to bet that it will take a lot of those to do the job, however...

Could be. I was hoping for something along the lines of an "overwhelming firepower" icon that'll give it a little extra punch. Sort of like Red Squadron's Lucky Shot ability only not as powerful. That would fit well with its intended role as counter-unit to the SSD.

Archived