Home

Voice Actor for Zann

I can`t say I like the new pirate/thug leader`s young teen voice in the trailer, but I`ll live with it. Good trailer too!

Glad you enjoy the game :)

This brings up a good point though; I saw the trailor for the first time along with all of you, and I don't know if the voice is right for Tyber or not either. So if you could pick an actor to be the voice of our new criminal mastermind, who would you pick?

Hmm...this might be considered a thread hijack, so if the mod-type-people want to move it, feel free :D

This brings up a good point though; I saw the trailor for the first time along with all of you, and I don't know if the voice is right for Tyber or not either. So if you could pick an actor to be the voice of our new criminal mastermind, who would you pick?

I dont know what to think of the voice. It sounded good, but Im not sure it fits his picture :). But it did have a devious feel to it.

Hmm...this might be considered a thread hijack, so if the mod-type-people want to move it, feel free :D

Oh and did we mention Devs get special hijack privledges? :p

I bet Edward James Olmos could do a good deviously crooked mastermind voice. :p

[/wishful thinking 'cause I'm an EJO fan]

I think the voice is perfect. He sounds as if he was young and had a life -turned corrupt by misfortune toward revenge.

Reminds me of Garrett's voice from the original Thief I and II games from Looking Glass Studios, circa 1997 or so (Dark Project and Metal Age).

Zann is not particularly evil or good, just does not care and is taking advantage of the Civil War situation to his own personal goals.

Garrett also took no sides if he could, but as an opportunist, would not pass up a chance to grab wealth and power.

So I think a voice that is devilishly good; a mix of nice with an evil twist, is appropriate. Not one way or the other.

Edward James Olmos would be good. Lou Diamond Philips would work as well.

Bear in mind I know nothing about the character. That said I cannot see a devious manipulator of any younger than 30 surviving amidst the likes of The Emperor, Darth Vader, and the political intrigues of a power-playing Senate. I really think such a role deserves at least an older voice... greater maturity.

Harvey Keitel could play an accomplished Machiavellian. Remember this has to be a guy who could stand in the same room as a Jabba The Hutt, negotiating, bargaining, and threatening. Keitel can speak cleanly btw... he isn`t just a curt mob character actor (!).

No matter who, I still say it must be someone who sounds mature... politically dangerous. Crafty.

The current voice sounds teenage.

Patrick McGoohan, although I`m not quite sure *his* voice would necessarily fit the visual of Tyber.

Julianne Moore would be a good choice for any villainous females, btw.

Another suggestion.

To accommodate larger rosters of hero/villain characters you could rank them by tech tier. When a player goes up in tech, he or she gets to choose which 1 hero/villain character they wish to utilize from that tier.

This way as time passes and more such characters are introduced to the game by expansions - if they are - you do not end up with fleets or armies of heroes/villains... I wouldn`t want to see portraits of 12 different Rebellion heroes at once at the top of the screen!

Guest DarthMaulUK

I disagree with all of you.... theres only one man for this job...his name is Bundy....Al Bundy!

DMUK

I say Dennis Haysbert (Allstate guy) Why? Cause he helps to sell insurrance, and if that's not a prime example of corruption I don't know what is....

On a more series note... Edward James Olmos... Or perhaps Michael Biehn... Shouldn't be too hard since you guys got him in Tiberian Sun.... Well... "You guys"....

On an Uber Serious note, you should run a contest asking fans to be their most evil in a sound recording, then immortalize them in the game... I'd do it...

It suddenly came to me when I laid my head down on my pillow and began to go through the days events... I began to remember things past and conversastions and comments, and then I remembered this... And then I wondered how one of us could fake a french accent to sound evil... Then it occured to me...

Get Jean Reno.... I think he has just the right amount of distrust in his voice to pull it off... Hell, since most Star Wars characters tend to speak with a British accent, why not make the corruptor French?

That's my recommendation... Jean Reno (For a reference, see Godzilla, The Professional (Leon))

I would say - William Shatner.

Seriously though, I really liked the voice for Zann, I felt that it fit the character well. The voice wasn't filled with hope and aspirations, and it wasn't dark and sinister - instead, it was a bit shady, with some subtle menace added in. If it was up to me (which of course it should be, but Petro/LA haven't recognised that yet :)) I would keep the guy who did the voice for the trailer.

I thought the voice was just right. It had menace, bitterness and a certain cold quality. I'd be perfectly happy if that's the voice that makes it into the final game.

Although if you had to change it, I agree with Wedge2211: Jeremy Irons would be outstanding.

Edward James Olmos wins for me.

His voice, even in Battlestar Galactica, has that... authoritative, "I'm going to kick your ass so fast your head can spin" kind of voice. He'd be a great voice for an evil guy.

Or a good admiral. Yes, his voice does work as Adama as well.

I`m also trying to think of some more obscure actors who could play Tyber Zann... people whose employment might be more financially feasable (!) than a Gary Oldman or a Robert DeNiro...

Paul Bettany who played the psychotic younger Malcolm McDowell gangster from Gangster No. 1 could do it very well. Rumours also have him as a candidate for The Joker in the next Batman movie (which I hope is true - he`s perfect).

Patrick Swayze? I`m thinking of his performance from Red Dawn, and also the fact I haven`t seen much of him lately. Minus the countryboy accent of course.

Michael Baldwin? One of Alec Baldwin`s brothers... he has a somewhat straight delivery; given the right anger he might sound sufficiently menacing. I think its Michael... the one I`m thinking of looks, umm, thick.

(grin)

William Smith. Also from Red Dawn. Somewhat gravelly voiced. You`ll also recall he was Conan`s father at the beginning of Conan The Barbarian.

Nick Nolte could do it. Cheaply? Not sure.

Mickey Rourke. Of course, Marv (Sin City) himself.

Here's my two cents: The character sounds like a TRUE pirate captain. Pirates are exotic. Most of the Star Wars actors are american or brittish. The pirate lord needs to be different.

I would go with suave and debonair (Someone who sounds like Ricardo Montibahn or Antonio Banderes). I think the smooth spanish accent is cool for pirates.

If the gruff approach is what you're looking for, then maybe the guy who played the Kurgan in Highlander (Clancy Brown), or someone with an Eastern European accent?

Edit: Later in the evening I was thinking that it would be cool to make him act and sound like a fallen samuri lord (ronin). Perhaps an asian accent? You know, honor among thieves? Like he'll only kill you if there's a reason?

Either way, I would certainly give him an exotic accent. The pirate lord needs to sound different than the britts and americans that we usually hear in Star Wars. Even his name, Tyber Zann, sounds ...EXOTIC. Take that to the next level PLEASE. He needs a HEAVY accent and a personality to match. (just don't make him sound like a Chicago gangster, lol)

Does anyone disagree with my exotic accent idea? This may make a good poll question, since they asked. Fans always LOVE to contribute, and Petro ROCKS when it comes to listening to us.

I'm with gswift. Go exotic...perhaps suave and debonaire (someone who could just as easily seduce you as slit your throat - I like the Spanish idea..."My name is Inigo Montoya..."), but something a bit more off the beaten path might be fun. I remember in X-Wing Alliance, the smuggler leader Dunari had a Jamaican accent.

Archived