Home

As requested: Oblivion Mod

stoffe

EDIT(2006-06-11): Updated the linked-to file with a newer version with some minor additions, and fixed pathfinding grid which was broken previously giving NPCs some trouble on occasion.

EDIT(2006-05-26): Updated the linked-to file with a newer version with some slight improvements and bug-fixes. Should work to replace older versions with.

Darth333: That looks like a very cool "house"! What a change from the Waterfront shack

You should think about making it available for download.

RedHawke: I second this stoffe, that is freakin awesome. :D

All I need to do is face the final boss in Morrowind then I'm starting Oblivion... a cool house with a ton of space to store my stuff is just the thing I'll need. Be sure to have a few placeables with rediculous weight capacities.

This was starting to get off topic in the Screenshots thread so I'll post it here instead:

I suppose I could upload it if you want it, the problem is just that it's merged together with all my other tweaks, bugfixes and minor additions in the same plugin. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about splitting it into a separate plugin.

If you don't mind getting my extra additions and tweaks (see below), you can get the plugin here for now. Hopefully it shouldn't contain any major bugs that I've overlooked. :)

Be aware however that I primarily made it for my character, so if you find references to "Alyssa" occasionally, that's her. I renamed the tower to something more neutral though, but may have missed to change it in some places. Shouldn't be too hard to get rid of in the TES:CS if it annoys you.

It also contains a bunch of stuff that might be considered cheating unless you use some restraint since I made it with a fairly high level character and use it as a testbed for playing with scripting and modding with some random ideas I had. And I haven't done any quest or event in which you acquire it yet. It's just there for the taking currently, if you find it it's yours. :)

Things to keep in mind:

• If you want the tower to be visible from a distance and not fade out when you get a few hundred meters away from it you'll need to update the LOD thing for the Tamriel worldspace. I've not packed the 9000+ files that produces with the plugin. It's pretty easy to do though. Load the plugin in the TES:CS, go to the World menu, pick the World Testing submenu and pick the Update distant LOD Data. Select Tamriel in the list to the left, make sure all three checkboxes are checked and click Export.

• Some containers contain rather powerful gear I made for my character (currently level 46). I haven't done any scripts yet that determine when the stuff becomes available, so technically you could pick it up as a level 1 character if you want. I wouldn't recommend that though since it'd seriously unbalance the game. Just leave it alone, or toss it out somewhere if you dont want it to make room for your own loot.

• The "Hub" room contains one-way Teleporter pads that takes you to the Mages' Guild Hall in each of the major cities in the game. You'll need the key found on the desk in the library to access the Hub and use any of the teleporters. (I had to lock them down, otherwise some travelling NPCs would stroll into your home and use them.)

• The bookshelves in the library contain a large amount of skill books. If you are averse to cheating, don't read the books in the tall shelves that contain nothing but books on all shelves. (I put them there partly for testing, but also because many skill books only are available if you break into peoples homes, and my character don't do that sort of thing.) They are there and look nice as decoration, but you don't have to read them unless you want to. :)

• The red glowing stone in the library grant you a Magicka multiplier bonus and a handful of touch range (lesser power) curses if you click on it. If you consider that cheating, then don't click on it. :)

• Don't attack or abuse your majordomo at the tower. She's pretty powerful and a member of the PlayerFaction so I don't know what will break if you try to pickpocket or attack her. At this stage I haven't had the time to add new dialog or backstory to her so she only provides some services and protects the place while you are away.

Here are other things included in the plugin (from what I can remember), so you know what to look for if you want to get rid of them with the TES:CS to make it compatible with your own tweaks and plugins:

• Adds a "Landmark" map marker at all Doomstones and Wayshrines that will appear when you get close to them.

• Fixes the Altar and Wayshrine blessings to bypass magic resistance/spell absorb/spell reflect that prevented them from taking effect at times on a well protected (or Breton) character.

• Changes the Starsign Doomstones not to be mutually exclusive in their bonus powers.

• Changes the magicka cost of the Finger of the Mountain spell to use default spell cost for its power.

• Removes the Spider Daedra summon from the game (I suffer from arachnophobia), and reuses its effect for another summon (see next point).

• Adds 3 new Master level summon spells/creatures to the game (Dremora Prince, Elder Spriggan, Valkyrie).

• Changes a handful of Nord NPCs to have blonde hair, since they are described as a "fair haired" people in the racial description but pretty much all of them have black or dark brown hair in-game. I planned to change them all but haven't had the time yet. :)

• Makes the lich Erandur Vangaril level up with the player. Its template was set up as if it was to be a leveled creature, but the checkbox wasn't ticked, resulting in it being ridiculously easy to kill (it had like 15 health).

• Makes the sneak attack damage multiplier with melee weapons increase at each skill perk level, not just two of them.

• Changes a setting to allow the player to summon up to 3 creatures simultaneously as long as they are not of the same type (used by three of the custom spells mentioned below).

• Tweaks a few settings to modify how enemies react to being sneaked, and their skill at detecting sneaking enemies.

• Tweaks setting to allow more friendly fire hits before NPCs go insane on you, since they are supremely skilled at running into your line of fire the second you fire off a spell or arrow.

• A variety of other settings tweaked. I don't remember them all, but they should be easy to spot in the CS.

• Slows down the passage of in-game time a little. Instead of 30 in-game minutes passing during one real-world minute, 20 minutes in-game now passes during one minute of play.

• Fixes the problem with most NPCs only commenting on the first listed of your high-ranked skills, leading to very repetitive AI barks. They now have a random chance to pick a suitable bark instead.

• Fixes the Mages' Guild Expulsion quest not to trigger if you are the Arch-Mage. Since you are the top dog nobody has the rank to expel you. The Fighter's Guild already works this way when you become Guildmaster in the standard game so I assume they just forgot to add the check to the MG scripts.

• Adds a whole bunch of rather powerful spells that can be bought from the majordomo at your tower. Most of them require master level in their governing skill and so shouldn't be usable too early during normal play (unless you powerlevel some skill). Got tired at spellcasters being so weak offensively compared to archers and melee grunts at high levels. Something is wrong when an Arch-Mage thinks "Oh no, a <insert powerful enemy>, I better equip my sword!". Some might be a touch overkill though. :)

stunning stoffe.. looking forward to messing with this ;)

I really like the majordomo idea for the house (I'm assuming the house is medium-large looking at the screenies).. seems fitting there is another sentient in the house. That, and it'll be a good place for me to introduce some of my custom items in the game rather than creating chests here and there, or creating 'startquest scripts'.. ugghh.. hehehe.. (personal playing that is, not for any of my, hopefully, upcoming public mods)

some of your changes are similar to mine, so I might just be able to remove my tweaks altogether since you seemed to cover alot of personal tweaks.. (landmarks, friendly fire allowance, FotM spell..) though admittingly, I'm looking forward to snooping in the CS.. hehehe :devsmoke:

I tend to learn alot by dissecting the stuff you do.. :D

I really like the majordomo idea for the house (I'm assuming the house is medium-large looking at the screenies).. seems fitting there is another sentient in the house.

Medium-sized is probably correct, probably a little larger than the other standard houses. There are 5 rooms of varying sizes. The entrance hall, a greenhouse (which doubles as bedroom for the majordomo), a library, the Hub and a bedroom (which is more or less a duplicate of the Skingrad house top floor with minor changes. The top floor bedroom there was the only room in the standard houses I kind of liked, so I kept it :)) The teleporter up to the tower balcony is below the stairs, next to the mermaid statue. You'll need to move through the plants by the statue to reach it.

The majordomo sells some supplies (like arrows, repair hammers etc), sells the custom spells and provides repair service. And will hopefully kill anything hostile entering the building, though I haven't had the opportunity to test that yet. :)

some of your changes are similar to mine, so I might just be able to remove my tweaks altogether since you seemed to cover alot of personal tweaks.. (landmarks, friendly fire allowance, FotM spell..) though admittingly, I'm looking forward to snooping in the CS.. hehehe :devsmoke:

I tend to learn alot by dissecting the stuff you do.. :D

Don't know if there's much to learn from this particular plugin, I've only been doing any real Oblivion modding for a week. :) But feel free to dig around. Most of my added stuff have a "ST" prefix at the start of the Editor ID.

Speaking of learning... do you know if there is a way to set the equivalent of the "SetRigidBodyMass 100" scripting command directly on an object in the TES:CS? I've looked around but not managed to find any. It's a bit of work manually to go around to all loose objects in the house, open the console, click on each item and run that function. It makes objects stay put and not fly all over the place if you bump into them, which is annoying with decorations like planters, vases and welkynd stones.

Speaking of learning... do you know if there is a way to set the equivalent of the "SetRigidBodyMass 100" scripting command directly on an object in the TES:CS? I've looked around but not managed to find any. It's a bit of work manually to go around to all loose objects in the house, open the console, click on each item and run that function. It makes objects stay put and not fly all over the place if you bump into them, which is annoying with decorations like planters, vases and welkynd stones.

Hmm.. good question. I don't think so (at least for individual items).. you probably could globally unless the information is stored in the .nif itself..

In that case NifSkope might unveil a little more info.. however, you could try making a scripted spell similar to this one:

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/3647.html

that would at least allow you to cast it in game rather than having to console all the time. Trick is.. your aim better be good ;)

Hmm.. good question. I don't think so (at least for individual items).. you probably could globally unless the information is stored in the .nif itself..

In that case NifSkope might unveil a little more info.. however, you could try making a scripted spell similar to this one: http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/3647.html

that would at least allow you to cast it in game rather than having to console all the time

Seems a bit odd that you won't be allowed to set if objects are to be affected by the physics or not. But then again that would hardly be the first thing that strikes me as a bit odd when it comes to modding Oblivion. :)

I was thinking of making duplicates of those MiscItems and put a script on them that ran the command. But since it seems a bit overkill to make duplicate items for such a thing, and I can't seem to find a way to remove or stop a script running on an item I scrapped that idea. It's a shame you can't make a single script that loops through all the objects in a cell. The Oblivion scripting language is very limited, unfortunately.

Thanks stoffe! I'll have some fun with that. From the description, your mod seems to be compatible already compatible with most of the tweaks I made....and I certainly won't complain about the removal of the spider daedra :p

Only the summoned Spider Daedra have been removed, not the normal ones. I didn't want to mess with leveled lists in this plugin. I use another plugin that tones down the level and loot of Bandits/Marauders/Necros/Conjurers which already modifies many of the leveled lists. I didn't want to risk making a mess of that, so I edited that plugin directly to remove the normal, non-summoned Spider Daedra instead. (They won't summon any spiderlings any more though even if you don't have a plugin that removes them completely, since I stole the Summon Spiderling effect for one of my own summons as well. :))

The mod is still pretty rough around the edges since it's a work in progress. If you run across anything that's obviously not working as it should, please let me know of it.

. It's a shame you can't make a single script that loops through all the objects in a cell. The Oblivion scripting language is very limited, unfortunately.

This is only too true. I can't believe there is a function to check if a char is affected by a spell effect but no function to check if it has a certain spell.

The fact that there is no way to loop through a container's contents also stumped me. I checked the Arch Mage Ingredient chest to see how they did it and I immediately got sick...no way I'll ever find the time (and the will) to make such a script just to get an object ID...wtf? The guy who did that script probably lost his sanity doing this. Such a huge workaround for something that could have been so simple. I thought they would have improved the scripting for Oblivion but no. It seems that it's worse than it was.

The mod is still pretty rough around the edges since it's a work in progress. If you run across anything that's obviously not working as it should, please let me know of it.
I'll definitely give you some feedback but it may not be before one week as I'll be working most of the weekend.

Thanks for posting this stoffe!

It seems you and I have similar tastes as I saw nothing you listed that I couldn't live with.* Also I'm with you in that if I'm playing a good aligned hero I don't want to do certain legally-iffy things either so the book case(s) sound like a good idea. :D

* I don't like spiders either, but I do love the Shadows in Babylon 5... Hmm. :xp:

do you know if there is a way to set the equivalent of the "SetRigidBodyMass 100" scripting command directly on an object in the TES:CS? It makes objects stay put and not fly all over the place if you bump into them, which is annoying with decorations like planters, vases and welkynd stones.

Apparently this script command doesn't exactly produce the desirable effect if you use it on books, like I found out the hard way. Seems like I'm not the first to notice that, and someone made this rather... chaotic... video capture of the effect. :)

Good books gone bad...

It never stops, the only way is to reload a savegame when that happens...

Still haven't found a good, reliable way of preventing things from flying all over the place if you bump into them. :/

Just wanted to let you know that I'm absolutely loving your house/tower :D and the goodies in there are wow! Too bad my character is such a wuss in magicka because those spells look sweet.. I was able to get "Wizard's Fury" which is a godsend... toasts Dread Zombies much better than firebolt (or even Finger of the Mountain for that matter)...

err.. however I must admit, Paah'Ketgz (my vampire) did have to break down and feed on Miranda (I think that's her name).. I felt bad, but considering how much she charged me for those Bound Daedric arrows.. I think we're even :devsmoke: (100 disposition my foot.. hehehe) :xp:

The Library is especially sweeeeeet... though I had to practice some restraint in not reading the skill books... I did however make use of the save/reload maneuver to check out your Awakening stone and custom skill book (not even going to try and spell that one :xp: )... chose to keep both of those adjustments to my character...

Your gear cupboard pretty much stayed intact (I'm currently based on a DB Armor/Obsidian Armor mix rather than daedric) except for the halo.. Paah'ketgz wears that one with an evil grin .. hehehe.. perfect for 2nd stage vampies.. let's me run out in the wild much longer than normal between feedings..

and I'm telling you.. it was really hard not trying to pick the Greenhouse clean.. ;) However since I'm using a Harvest mod.. the room would look dreadful if I picked the plants for ingredients.. It's good to have limits .. *sigh* soooo tempting.. :fist:

Just wanted to let you know that I'm absolutely loving your house/tower and the goodies in there are wow! Too bad my character is such a wuss in magicka because those spells look sweet..

Glad you liked it. I've uploaded a more recent version of it that fixes a whole bunch of bugs I discovered (which I tend to do soon after I make something available to others). The changes should be small enough that it shouldn't cause any trouble to replace the current plugin file. At least I didn't notice any problems in my game. It's available at the same link posted above, if you want it.

I was able to get "Wizard's Fury" which is a godsend... toasts Dread Zombies much better than firebolt (or even Finger of the Mountain for that matter)...

Hmm, that's a bug, actually. I just added Wizard's Fury during initial testing, must have forgotten to remove it again afterwards since it didn't show in the spell buy list (since I already have it). That's not a spell I created, it's one you normally get as reward when you reach a certain rank (Warlock? Wizard?) within the Mage's Guild. At least you do if you use the mod that levels up quest reward items/spells. :)

err.. however I must admit, Paah'Ketgz (my vampire) did have to break down and feed on Miranda (I think that's her name).. I felt bad, but considering how much she charged me for those Bound Daedric arrows.. I think we're even :devsmoke: (100 disposition my foot.. hehehe)

As long as she doesn't detect it I suppose there's no harm in doing it. Don't know how she'll react if she discovers you sucking on her throat though. I tried to give her a script that will prevent her from attacking the player (since the AI is so unreliable and unpredictable), but I don't know if there are other, unadjustable things that get set when a friendly character is attacked. Couldn't find any way to access the "friendly fire counter" for example. :)

The Library is especially sweeeeeet... though I had to practice some restraint in not reading the skill books... I did however make use of the save/reload maneuver to check out your Awakening stone and custom skill book (not even going to try and spell that one )... chose to keep both of those adjustments to my character...

The Oghma book is a daedric shrine quest reward (or rather a clone of that reward). I just put it there since my character never will be able to finish that quest. In order to get the Daedric Shrine quest that rewards the book you must complete all the other Daedric shrine quests first. And I don't want to do Mephala's and Namira's quests, they are too evil for my character, no way for a halo-wearer to justify doing them. So I just left the book around there to use when I've done all the other Daedric quests. :)

If you're a DB member you probably have no qualms about eradicating some village or murdering priests though, so you might eventually end up with two of those books. :)

Would probably be better to just modify that quest to remove the "must do all" condition, but I haven't had the time to do that yet. :)

The Awaken stone and the Varla Pez dispenser crystal are kind of handy, though you need to use some restraint when using the latter early in the game I imagine, "once per day" usable is probably much too often still. (Tried to make this one activate the Varla stone automatically, but I can't find any scripting way of making the player automatically activate an item.)

Your gear cupboard pretty much stayed intact (I'm currently based on a DB Armor/Obsidian Armor mix rather than daedric) except for the halo.. Paah'ketgz wears that one with an evil grin .. hehehe.. perfect for 2nd stage vampies.. let's me run out in the wild much longer than normal between feedings..

You can just clean the cupboard out and toss the gear in a container (or a corpse) in a cell that resets regularily, then you'll get some more storage space for your own gear. Unless I've missed something all chests, boxes, cupboards, drawers and the glass counter in the building should keep their content indefinitely.

I just thought glass armor looked so hideously ugly in this game (unlike Morrowind) that I made a Light Armor variant of the Daedric instead. Glass armor makes you look like a tube of neon light with only the flickering light missing. A bit odd that light armor makes you look more like a walking barrel than a heavy armor. :)

For the ring, I assume you mean the Health Regen property? Haven't found any other items in the game that has one, so I made it to make up for the irritating removal of Slowfall... Your character can't run down a slope without taking damage with a high speed/athletics score, so I needed it to "fix" that problem. It regenerates slow enough that it shouldn't make you invincible in combat at that high level. (Besides, Umbra the Elf has a permanent Health Regen effect of twice the magnitude so I'm not feeling too bad about it. :))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a small update in case someone still uses this. I've uploaded an updated version of the mod (same link as before) that contains some minor additions and a whole bunch of bug fixes, most importantly the pathnode grid has been fixed, which I had forgotten to adjust earlier.

Some more display cases and containers and some new spells have been added, as well as a statue/crystal providing healing similar to a chapel altar (since there's no chapel in the Imperial City for some very odd reason). I also added some steps near the mermaid statue so you won't have to jump to get to the balcony teleporter or cupboards below the stairs. :)

From what I can tell there shouldn't be any problems caused by just overwriting the old existing plugin with the new one.

Archived