Home

Petroglyph & LucasArts - The Future...

WarlokLord

Greetings,

As I have expressed before, I would be thrilled to see another EAW game developed that tackles the Episode I through III era. Controlling among others General Grievous and his machine armies would be just as rewarding as Rebel and Imperial factions are now. I would like to make a note about game design however, in the hopes that future projects continue to innovate.

One of the reasons why EAW is such a great product is because the developer was free to take risks and craft mechanics that did not necessarily ape anything anybody else had already done. I get the impression that nobody was concerned with following Blizzard or EA formulas. It is my sincere hope that, despite my appreciation of the current design, Petroglyph will continue to be free to propose play mechanisms that innovate, avoiding even their own "formula" that has arguably been established with EAW itself.

Its a parallel to the paranoia in film - studios get nervous anytime somebody wishes to try something new, and yet it is those very new things which provide the studios with the greatest opportunities and values (Alien, The Terminator, Star Wars, etc.). Petroglyph was talented enough to craft something of the caliber of Empire At War, and I see no reason to doubt their abilities if it strikes them to play with that game system a little further. In a growing world of media megaliths turning out "product", EAW is a shining gem.

Anyway, thanks again. Hope my comments serve some useful purpose.

Guest DarthMaulUK

As I have said before, Lucasarts took a giant risk getting Petroglyph to develope Empire at War. Why? Simply because they were an unknown studio - who had alot of history on other titles and other gamble by Lucasarts was the fact that they were also developing a totally new game engine.

With Publishers keeping the purse strings tight during these periods of Console changes, Lucasarts' gamble paid off.

Over the past year, I have spent alot of time chatting with the guys at Petroglyph and have some of the most fantastic conversations with Mike and I am always interested in what they are upto now, and in the future.

I would personally be more than happy for them to make another expansion after this one and also create another Star Wars RTS in the future.

For those Petroglyph fans out there, keep an eye on our Network and our Newsletter as there could be some new announcements coming up soon

DMUK

Yeah, I thought that EAW was merely a "proof of concept" because it really felt like one to me. Since it took off really well, I believe that there would a remake disguised as a sequel.

The remake would probably include everything that was missing in the first game. Ability to toggle between realistic/easy gameplay for those hardcore/leisure players. Ability for assistants to manage productions. :)

Yeah, I thought that EAW was merely a "proof of concept" because it really felt like one to me. Since it took off really well, I believe that there would a remake disguised as a sequel.

The remake would probably include everything that was missing in the first game. Ability to toggle between realistic/easy gameplay for those hardcore/leisure players. Ability for assistants to manage productions. :)

I agree, the game feels very much like. "We can do this, just give us the the resources and we'll show you awesome"

To be honest, i cannot wait till a sequel.

Here's to hoping Lucas Arts don't meddle and mess everything up, I.E Kotor 2

Archived