Home

Playing as Empire = Wack-a-Mole :-)

Hothman

In Galactic Conquest it can be frustrating to play the game as Empire (Rebel AI on hard) because you constantly feel on the back foot and its like playing wackamole because Rebels can pop up anywhere and everywhere.

Indeed, I often ask myself "what is the strategy of this game when you play as Empire?"

It's very hard to answer because basically the Rebellion more or less sets the agenda and you respond, especially early-game.

The following observations apply (correct me if I'm wrong):

* Do not overconcentrate forces as Empire. You need 3 or 4 fleets at least on large maps.

* Using Bobbafett to keep Rebel heroes out of the game is critical. That way there's a lot less of those annoying Rebel raids.

* Never ever ever leave a planet land garrison empty. Space yes, as its more expensive. But stormtroopers and other land forces are cheap. Make the Rebel scum bleed for their victory :) And when you can afford it those turret complexes are really worthwhile investing in.

* Use the Emperor in combat mid to late game. At first you need the Emperor to keep those production costs down in the early part of the game when money is tight, but if you get into a strong money position, he is a valuable asset in land battles (yah a bit risky but he's fun to use and worth about 5 units!)

I'm not a great player but these are my thoughts thus far.

i would never, ever use the emperor in combat. way too risky. if he dies it's game over(at least in MP campaign, havn't played single too much). he'll always sit behind a shield and a couple AT-AT's, and preferably on a world like dagobah, where you can't see he's there from orbit

boba's way too valuable to me in space, i don't even use him on land. the ability to cripple an entire wing of y-wings in one keystroke far outweighs taking out a hero for a few minutes. i feel naked w/o boba in my main fleet ;)

definitely a good idea to keep every world garrisoned. TIE maulers are cheap, fast, and make road kill of hordes of PLEX. shield generators on every world is a must, even if you have to sell off a structure to make room. just make sure to research stutter shields so rebel artillery can't fire through it.

but a few squads of storm troopers(or an AT-AT if you can afford it) is also a good idea, to "capture", and build on any turret spots.

A great way to keep the small-scale Rebel raids down is to build two Mauler squadrons on each planet. As soon as tactical combat starts for a raid, give all the Maulers an emergency move order (double-click) just past the Rebel landing zone. If the Rebel raid consists of infantry, they'll be dead as soon as they hit the dirt.

I typically try to build a barracks and light factory on each planet, so I get some free stormies to capture build pads and some free AT-ST's to squish infantry. If money is tight, I just build the factory and I move a few squads of troopers in, but use them only for capturing build pads and keep them out of direct combat.

Here's a space trick: for each pair of planets connected by a trade route, you only need one defensive fleet. You can zip it between the connected planets before any attack fleet comes in--just keep an eye out for the "Rebel fleet incoming at ___" message. (Against a human opponent, this would be worthless, because they jsut have to split their attack into a two-pronged force to counter it.)

I like using Boba Fett on land to fly over the enemy base so I can target it for a bombing run. ;)

I guess you would not like the RAID lua Mod enhancement for the AI. The Rebels can use up to 6 units instead of 3 (plus heros) and they really put the Hit and Run back into the game! They even get afaster retreat time. the AI will evaluate targets of oppourtunity much better, then run away when the losses are adding up way too much.

Use Mike Lua Editor to make the AI much smarter in combat. Almost human like the way I got tweaked now. I had to wait until patch 1.4 was before release.

So if you thought the Rebels were annoying...use this AI RAID Module Boost to really have a fun throw! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I agree. The game is way too simple. There is too much point, click, build, fight, (repeat)...

I find using the Empire at any level is similar to using a cheat code. They crush the Republic too easily.

Is this something you noticed during the 4-5 times you've played the game?

I agree. The game is way too simple. There is too much point, click, build, fight, (repeat)...

I find using the Empire at any level is similar to using a cheat code. They crush the Republic too easily.

yes, we all understand that you don't like the game. is there really a point to you trying to come in and let everybody know whenever you've already done so several times before?? quite whining about it and move on, please.

as for the actual thread subject, i can say that GC singleplayer on hard is probably a bit too hard. don't get me wrong, it isn't overly challenging, but it's perhaps a bit too difficult to set your own plans in motion initially since you're forced to react to the AI until things reach an equilibrium of sorts.

hehe, its still quite rewarding, though, to catch the Rebel AI off guard by "abandoning" a planet (in space only) that's connected via a trade route and then quickly traveling back whenever the rebels try to attack with some puny force.

i still wish the AI was a bit more 'human' like. but if i want that, i'll just go online. ;)

Raid Fleets don't usually pose a problem if you are smart.

In short: you need infantry and a barracks.

Infantry are sooo valuable. Why? Because they can capture build pads.

Distract the incoming rebel tanks with garrisoned scout troops. During this time, build turrets to counter whatever the rebels are throwing at you. Entrech the stormtroopers, and watch the magic.

TIE maulers are good for countering infantry, and AT-ATs are good for everything (and they spawn stromtroops), but stromtroops and a barracks can repel pretty much anything in a raid fleet by building turrets.

Perhaps you would like to play the game once again; the Empire fights the Rebels. Maybe you didn't watch Star Wars Episode 3, when the Republic turns into the Empire. Pretty hard to miss that...

I really think at the beginning of the Galactic Conquest, the Empire has the advantage with the Acclamators and such. But later in the game, Rebellion has the upper hand. Mon Cal > ISD for the battle of the capitals, and you have the Ion Cannon that > Hypervelocity Cannon later in the game, but for mid game, I do believe the Empire dominates with Boba, the VSD, and the Broadsides.

The Acclamator has more hardpoints, but the Nebulon-B has more total health, plus the ability to boost its shields back up from near-nothing in a few seconds. It probably all comes down to the tactics used, and whether or not the Acclamator has its bombers handy.

Still LOVE this game but I'm taking a break after crushing the rebellion many times. I'll definitely be back after the expansion is out.

On my last game I was down to Hoth - with one other world remaining to be "re-educated". The rebels had what amounted to a doom fleet but little to no resources left. They started going frantic and trying to shoot their way out of the corner - while I had four powerful fleets surrounding them.

The really fun part were those crazy see-saw of space battles where they would attack with a significant force and then I'd let them go (culled down a bit) only to intercept them at another world and decimate them. After about ten running space battles I was able to finally mount a knockout blow to Hoth.

Man, it's good to be the Emperor's boss! "Palpatine, go get me another cup of coffee. There's a good Sith Lord." :king1:

Archived