Home

Something like MI

NinoKadic

If you can find the (very old) Discworld games (1 and 2) for the playstation, they should work on PS2. But I doubt they're on sale anywhere anymore, but they have a similar interface (not verbs) and decent (if slightly twisted) humour.

Otherwise, for the PS2, I doubt there would be any, they're not profitable anymore so very few adventure games have been made for the PS2. I suppose if you gave Beyond Good and Evil a crack it wouldn't be so bad (very good game but not as much humour, it's more of a platform game really, but it has puzzles of a sort and a really good storyline, should be available on PS2, but don't quote me on that)

aww !! beyond Good and Evil :D (good memomries ^^ )

There is no game like monkey island. Monkey island has the awesome mix of great humor, and an exiteing storyline that catches the player - That none games (in my oponion )has ;)

I know this might seem obvious, but Monkey Island is what's called an “adventure game”. Just like Halo and so on are called “first-person shooters”, and Command & Conquer a “real-time strategy game”.

As such, all you need to do is look for games that call under the title “adventure game” and you'll find something along the same lines of Monkey Island, although it must be borne in mind that Monkey Island is a particularly good adventure game — very few even come close to matching it.

Broken Sword and Syberia are both traditional adventure games, so yes, they are very much like Monkey Island; however, they have a more serious tone. I'm not sure about the other two, but as far as I'm aware they are also similar.

If you go to http://www.adventuregamers.com/, you'll find stacks of adventure game reviews. Most are on the PC, and always have been, but you may find the odd PS2 one.

If you can find the (very old) Discworld games (1 and 2) for the playstation, they should work on PS2. But I doubt they're on sale anywhere anymore, but they have a similar interface (not verbs) and decent (if slightly twisted) humour.

(...should be available on PS2, but don't quote me on that)

I saw a discworld game in gamestation the other day prepwned (rofl n00b h4xx0rz lolz) Are those games actually based on the Terry Pratchett novels or is that just a coincidence...?

And yes, Beyond Good & Evil is available for PS2.

I saw a discworld game in gamestation the other day prepwned (rofl n00b h4xx0rz lolz) Are those games actually based on the Terry Pratchett novels or is that just a coincidence...?

And yes, Beyond Good & Evil is available for PS2.

Yep, you play as Rincewind (depending on which books you've read, he's a main character in a few of them) and I think Pratchett helped with a few of the jokes and the script (well, he did in Discworld Noir, although that's in 3D and you don't play Rincewind, but a completely new character). A lot of characters and places from the books are used in the game and the humour is just about the same (although the second one is basically one Monty Python parody after another (with eric idle as the voice of Rincewind), but then Pratchetts work can also be seen as that)

The problem with the first two Discworld games is that some of the puzzles are just ridiculous. Wasn't there one where you had to put some jelly in a toilet or something? It wasn't very 'obvious' if you see what I mean. Maybe if you're up on your Disc-lore that makes sense but I've only read about five of the novels, and before I played the game I hadn't played any at all.

That said, the games (and Discworld Noir) are some of my favourite adventure games :)

Discworld 2 heard such complaints and toned it down a lot, a lot of it was logical (although again, unless you've read a lot of the books, you may not get some of them).

The first one was amazingly hard though. Noir was good, hard in all the right places and didn't alienate people who're new to the Discworld.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived