Home

Norton causing PC game problems.

Does anyone else find it that Norton Anti Viris software causes great slowdown problems with PC games?? When playing a game such as Half Life 2 with the NAV on the game gets quite juddery, but when off it runs 100%. Causes me alot of pain expessially when playing online games such as Counter Strike Source, as i do feel guilty when i turn the application off (due to internet threats).

Does anyone else find it that Norton Anti Viris software causes great slowdown problems with PC games?? When playing a game such as Half Life 2 with the NAV on the game gets quite juddery, but when off it runs 100%. Causes me alot of pain expessially when playing online games such as Counter Strike Source, as i do feel guilty when i turn the application off (due to internet threats).

Norton Anti Virus software is the best in the buisness. Norton is also a resource hog. 90% of the time, I keep the application sitting in my task manager, but turned in the off position. I call it standby. Every once and a while, I manually udate the virus definitions, and then I run a full system scan. However, I usually have the 'Auto Protection' off, so it doesn't chew up my resources when I am online.

I woud not remove the application, for it is a descent tool to utilize. However, I would shut off the 'Auto Protect', and only use it to occasionally do system scans. Belive it or not, Norton sends out a signal to get Live Updates automatically. Even if it is shut off.

When playing an online multiplayer game I usually have to turn the Internet Worm protection of Nortons off or else I can't even connect, this is especially bad with SW Battlefront 1 & 2 and Battlefield 2.

I also turn Auto-Protect off when playing online as well as your game runs better, like Mac says it is a resource hog, something I have complained to Nortons about.

Just be sure to re-engage everything when you are done playing... ;)

How do you know that Norton is the cause of your games being slow?

p.s lol my first post here in long while, haven't been active much. Busy, EaW is also getting boring.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you know that Norton is the cause of your games being slow?

Because Norton is a resource hogger.

I wouldn't say too fast whichever AV is better. NOD32 for example is known for its minimalistic use of resources, and is the world leader of the Virus Bulletin 100% awards. And fast as hell.

(I'm not on a payroll, seriously)

Archived