Home

When will it end?

TheMonsterOfTheIsland

starwarsknights.com used to be a treasure trove of KOTOR news, mods, and other info. Now it seems to me to have evolved into nothing more then a repository for crappy fan fiction.

Don't worry, I will not start flaming about fan fiction (snip).

Here's the problem: what about the game? I haven't heard modding news in weeks, and I'm getting scared. Some big projects were on the horizon, yet all I see, day after day, is "The critic returns..."

Can I please get back the starwarsknights of old? Please?

KOTOR II restoration project? M4-78? Am I ringing any bells?

Ah, I suppose that you're right. No sense in complaining about it. Those two mods will get done when they get done (if ever), and aside from little projects here and there, it's all been said and done, right?

(*sighs*)

Still... fanfiction?

(No... Must... Not.... Flame...)

Unless you've done an exhaustive reading of the fanfics, you're missing a couple gems in the bunch--Jiara's works, and Machievelli's SW: The Beginning and Republic Dawn (the punctuation needs work but he says he's posting without editting, so I don't let it get in the way of what is an otherwise very entertaining series.).

A lot of the writers are very young and/or are writing fiction for the first time or two and thus are learning (and I'm in that latter group myself). We're making neophyte writers' mistakes that really affect quality. However, the only way to improve is to keep writing. The forum here is remarkably patient and encouraging with those of us who decide to post, which takes no small amount of courage, especially the initial time.

I'm not a big fan of all the stuff Mach reviews (either for content or style), but when he says it's well written, he's nearly always correct.

starwarsknights.com used to be a treasure trove of KOTOR news, mods, and other info. Now it seems to me to have evolved into nothing more then a repository for crappy fan fiction.

Don't worry, I will not start flaming about fan fiction (although it does suck hard).

Here's the problem: what about the game? I haven't heard modding news in weeks, and I'm getting scared. Some big projects were on the horizon, yet all I see, day after day, is "The critic returns..."

KotOR II has gone beyond its peak. Even though I am still making mods, I am not making anything that is revolutionary. For the past several months, people have been moving onto other games. I am turning my mod into fan-fiction, and I am really enjoying the ride.

After the stuff I have in production is over, I will be turning in my KotOR II modding license until a possible KotOR III.

I can feel people slip away, so I try to advertise new mods in moderation. What is intresting is that I am creating an anthology.

Therefore, not all of us are done with KotOR 2, but I am getting close to my own end of modding the series.

I would sit back, relax, and just enjoy the mods that do come out. Like all things good, they must at some point come to an end.

Here's the problem: what about the game?
Simply put KotOR fans in general are losing interest. There is only so much you can do. TSL for PC came out over a year ago and the game has been thoroughly hashed, rehashed, modded, and modded again. So KotOR game series players have nothing new to look forward to and with nothing but silence coming from LEC about a future KotOR people have moved on to other things that have caught their interest. It's the nature of the beast. :indif:

I haven't heard modding news in weeks, and I'm getting scared. Some big projects were on the horizon, yet all I see, day after day, is "The critic returns..."
Modders have lost interest too. Not much happening there that I can see. And as far as the TSLRP and M4-78 go who knows if the people working on those two heavy-duty mods will finish them? Seems to me that they've got a lot of work left to do and the general interest is waning. Simply put, there isn't much going on in the TSL modding world anymore so there isn't much to report.

IMHO it never left. I'm sure as soon as any significant KotOR-related news surfaces the swk.com staff will get it posted. Until then though there isn't much else to report on. Don't forget the swk.com staff have other gaming interests besides the KotOR series. In fact it seems like many of them are into the TES IV: Oblivion RPG that got released a while back. :D

here's my thoughts on the "issue":

• 1. first and foremost, a lot of gaming forums thrive either on new releases or users that keep things going because they are interested in having a community. given that the last major game release that relates to this forum is now over a year ago, this forum is largely driven by users that are involved in the community that has since 'sprung forth' (for a lack of a better term).
    2. there has been nothing in terms of news or any other kind of official information reguarding either Kotor 2 or a sequel (the alleged "Kotor 3"). all we get is a couple of hints and rumors, and none of them are truely newsworthy.
    3. i've personally lost interest in modding either Kotor I or II a long time ago. and now that the game has been out for over a year, a lot of other people are losing interest in modding either game. combine that with the fact that we are fairly limited as to the scope of the mods we can produce, and now you have your lack of mods.
    4. and lastly, i can understand your criticism of nothing but info on the fanfiction coming from the forum. but quite frankly, it is one of the few things that are coming out of the community as a whole which, as previously mentioned, is heavily stifled by a lack of official information.
    5. and finally, if you don't like what's happening here, then go somewhere else. find a new interest of some kind, because, quite frankly, there ain't a lot we can do about it.

and for good measure, i'm also moving this thread to the proper forum. ;)

I cant get into starwarsknights.com to check it out.

But anyways, Kotor interests is just on the decline. Fanfiction is cool, the best stuff in my opinion comes from this site... http://www.kotorfanmedia.com - for those who dont know about it

Some of the writings get cliche, but oh well, they are really good

The community's only salvation will come from Knights of the Old Republic III. Until then I reccommend Jade Empire and Oblivion.

So what? I haven't played the story in a long time, and haven't payed attention to the specialized forums for each game at all, but like an ancient wise man once said...

"With Ahto and Holowan, the possibilities are endless!"

I stick around for the "intelligent" debates, cool people, and modder created continuations of the story, none of which are influenced by the age of the game.

It would really suck if everyone left and I was the most experienced modder, on that day you might as well pull the life support;)

Hmmm, maybe there would be more people if my UberSeries hadn't signed of on that merger with duke nukem forever:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

(*sighs*)

Still... fanfiction?

(No... Must... Not.... Flame...)

Personally, I like the fanfiction section. I'm writing my first fic (see signature) and I believe that it is not only fun to write and read others, but it is also good practice. One of my friends joined just because he wanted to write some fanfiction.

I love to hang around here. I am going to relax more by not modding for some time.

As of today, Monday, June 12, 2006, I ran fdisk, reformatted, reinstalled design applications, and prepared my harddrive for next semester. I also burned a mess of mods and game patches onto 16 CDs (Each at 750 MBs). My HD is 160Gigs, and it took about two and a half hours to format.

DAP's upgrade is on hiatus. At the moment, I am running my computer game free.

I will be working on Fan-Fiction for DAP. I have no near future plans to get back into modding. My cognitions are better off at the moment. I found myself taking this whole modding thing a little too serious. I want to just enjoy joining in on the various topics of discussions.

I don't know when I will release the last upgrade to DAP, but I am not in the right state of mind for it. The funny thing about it is that there are very few things to fix on the mod.

I am waiting for the Indiana Jones Game. Yahoooooo....

Archived