Home

Sad day for America

edlib

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

*Bump*

I think it's about time to resurrect this one, on the eve of the one year anniversary.

I just read through this entire thread again. It's hard to believe it was an entire year ago. It really doesn't seem that long. We kept this one alive for a while though.

A lot of emotion here in this thread. Wow.

It's surprising in retrospect how accurate some of the guesses about what was going on, and what was about to happen were.

There's a lot of names here we don't see around here much (or at all) anymore.

I'm still feel bad that Zaarin left over this.

What ever happened to Hannibal anyway? He was a popular one around here for a time, no? He never informed us about the great secret plan for foiling the terrorists without a war he kept hinting at. Oh well, our loss I suppose. He must have left to take that job at the State Department or something, I guess. We ended up going to war anyway, and are now tooling up for a second one with Iraq. Oh well.

I hope tomorrow is uneventful. I don't ever want a repeat of last year.

If that's the case, why wasn't this a topic of discussion before 9/11 last year? I highly doubt that Iraq's mass-destruction capabilities are really that different then they were in 2000 or the first half of 2001. Obviously after the events of 9/11 our attention had to be focused elsewhere, but I really don't recall all this attention being paid towards Saddam before then.

If it's really that important to national security then why isn't it something that was done as soon as W. took office?

I just think we should complete all our objectives against binLaden and AlQeada first, before trying to start a new conflict on another front, and all the possible mid-east foreign policy problems that it will inevitably raise.

• 1 year later...

You are exactly right. I'm sure a lot of us also have some friends and family who have fought and may still be fighting over in Iraq and Afghanistan. So, I say a prayer for them, I say a prayer for those who have died, and I pray we can find a solution to all of this.

On September 10, 2001, I actually said, during a show on the History Channel about plane crashes, "No one hijacks plans any more." Later that night, I said "Dear God, please let something happen tomorrow that keeps my mind off of thinking about that girl that dumped me a year ago today."

Moral of the story: be more specific when praying.

3 years ago, I was angrey that someone would be willing to do this. And I wanted justice to be served.

So the US attacked Al-queda in Afgan, no complaints. Very few deaths, very clean.

Then the president found conclusive evidance that Iraq had chemical, biological and 'Nucular" weapons. Which later turned into Weapons of Mass Destruction, and later WMD. Yet when the UN asked for the 'conclusive proof' of WMD, our president decided to go in anywaz. Yes we won the war, but the battle is killing us.

Now 3 years later we find out that the proof was not very good, most of the world hates the US governement, and US troops are dying every day because a president lied to the whole entire world. and won't eat humble pie because it is an election year.

God have mercy on us.

Iraq needed a facelift anyway.

For a dictator to mass murder the public makes him no worse than what Hitler did to the Jews.

And then you're saying that it is not worth the risk of attacking Iraq to prevent the the future deaths of millions of innocent people just because they haven't attacked us?

Just because they have no wmd or any solid links to Al Quada doesn't mean that they are on our side.

In terms of fighting terrorism and avenging 9/11, how far do you want your vendetta to go?

I agree it is horrible that saddam as a dictator was opressing and killing people. if that was the case the US would have taken over Iraq over 10 years ago when it invaded Kuwait.

They didn't because:

• There was no good succesor for Saddam
  • Iraq was succesfully 'contained' by other countries
  • We have seen how it has destabilised the area
  • There ARE no links between Al-queda and Saddam
  • Militants would rised up and oppose any non-muslim force that occupid the country

They they could have invaded Iraq after:

• reciving Full support of the UN
  • When The invading forces were lead by the UN
  • A consise plan was developed before the invasion for developing a governement and giving soverignty to Iraq as soon as possible
  • Train soldiers and workers to help fight and rebuild for a new Iraq

By invading Iraq and occupying it, the US has given all of the Al-queda members, and new recruits something to hate and 'defend' against.

we all know people are much more fanatical when defending, then when attacking

Originally posted by K_Kinnison

They didn't because:

• There was no good succesor for Saddam
  • Iraq was succesfully 'contained' by other countries
  • We have seen how it has destabilised the area
  • There ARE no links between Al-queda and Saddam
  • Militants would rised up and oppose any non-muslim force that occupid the country

No, no, no, no, and no.

We didn't have to worry about a successor in 1991. Someone would have emerged after the war. Iraq was contained only because of the no-fly zones. Iraq's collapse wouldn't have destablized the region in 1991. It was already unstable and its not like you could extra destablize it. Al-Qaida did not exist in 1991. Militants rose up against Hussein following the 1991 war.

The reason we didn't go for the deathblow was we didn't want to piss off Saudi Arabia.

They they could have invaded Iraq after:

• [
  • When The invading forces were lead by the UN

No American soldier should ever for any reason, be subject to a UN commander. The US should bow to no one. We're sovereign for a reason.

We had the full support of the UN in resolution from teh 1991 resolution authorizing the use of force to repell the invasion of Kuwait. Unfortunately, the UN is a bunch of chumps and ignored their own resolution. The US needed exactly one casus belli to invade Iraq in 2003. We had no less than four:

Saddam Hussein repeatedly and flagrantly violated the terms of that cease-fire. Violating a cease-fire is a casus belli.

During the interbellum period, Saddam Hussein repeatedly fired on American aircraft lawfully patrolling the no-fly zones imposed on his country as part of that cease-fire. Attempting to kill troops is a casus belli.

Saddam Hussein initiated a plot to assassinate former President Bush. Plotting to kill a foreign dignitary is a casus belli.

Saddam Hussein granted shelter to terrorists who'd killed Americans, including Abu Nidal and Abu Abbas. Harboring terrorists is a casus belli.

By invading Iraq and occupying it, the US has given all of the Al-queda members, and new recruits something to hate and 'defend' against.

They call it the Flypaper Theory. Seems to be working.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still as bloodthirsty as ever.

I remember watching the documentary about the NYFD that just happened to be filmed the week featuring 9/11. I had to stop watching during the scene where they're all in the lobby of the WTC and the people that jumped started landing on the lobby roof. Nothing that didn't happen to me personally ever affected me as much as that did.

• 10 months later...

Yet another anniversary. Hard to believe that it was only 4 years past. So much has happened in the meantime that it now seems so long ago. Funny that I felt the exact opposite last year.

Haven't seen much of all the expected tribute stuff on the TV this year. I guess Katrina took everybody's mind off of it. It almost slipped my mind completely, until I happened to look at the date.

Archived