Home

Star Wars Battlefront or Battlefront II?

MachineCult

SWBF1 or SWBF2?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. SWBF1 or SWBF2?

• Battlefront 1
    • Battlefront 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll stick with the majority :) Both games have their merits ... It's actually rather weird ...

You have all those neat new movement options like rolling running or rolling forward (it may sound silly ... but I DID miss especially the last one when playing BF1 a while ago) ... yet you can't lie on the ground, which was really atmospheric for snipers or the times when you are under really heavy fire - with a low wall on your side.

However ... in my opinion the vehicles are one of the biggest differences. I really like the new space battles (although they badly need more varied maps) with the fast and furious dogfights and the entertaining, yet far too simplistic boarding combats ... On the other hand, the entire rest of the vehicles in BF2 are - at least in my opinion - a great disappointment. Firstly, -at least in my opinion- there are hardly any maps WITH vehicles out their ... and secondly, they just don't feel all that powerful and important anymore. In non-space levels, I am REALLY missing the cockpits. Piloting an AT-AT from up above just doesn't feel right ... I don't feel like being in control of a mighty machine - and it's pretty awkward in my opinion. I just can't get used to navigating & shooting in this perspective. Regardless if it's a turret, a speeder or a hovertank, not being able to use the cockpit perspective really lessens the experience. So I find myself not using them at all. Which is not very hard because there aren't very many of them around in any case. Slightly more interesting weaponry or special functions would have helped, too - though Bf 1's vehicles can't do much more than shooting powerful laser blasts, too. Oh yes ... and I'm missing flying vessels (particularly tie fighters, of course ... :)) on planets, too ... They would have added a lot of spice to some scenarios ...

Speaking of weapons ... I have to agree with those of you who complain about Bf 2's weapons. Grenade Throwing, the basic pistol and the rocket launcher ... I prefer the way they work in BF1, too. The weapon reward system sounds like a nice idea (sadly some strange bugs seem to prevent it from working on my computer ... I just can't get reward equipment, regardless how often I get 'medals').

The conquest mode of BF2 ... is an improvement, too ... at least in my opinion ... though it still doesn't allow LAN multiplayer matches ... :(

A few words on the heroes: well, I haven't experienced them in multiplayer so far ... and I don't use them all that often - yet, I think it is pretty evident that they ARE an improvement over those in BF1 ... after all: who likes THEM? Completely invincible (well ... apart from some dirty tricks that I don't like, either ...) killing machines that help lowering the enemy's reserves faster.... No ... I can live without those guys. Against BF2's jedis you do at least have a CHANCE. I agree with Redtech ... they are far from invincible.

EXCELLENT TOPIC, Machine Cult! And just look at the poll results!!!

Here's what baffles me, guys...

Why is it that the poll count AND the general consensus here in forum both show that clearly HALF of the players here actually PREFER Battlefront 1, yet there are cobwebs and tumbleweeds in the SWBF1 public servers by comparison to the gazillion players on the SWBF2 servers?

I've noticed this on other website's forums, too... That more and more people are realizing thier devotion and yearning to play THE original, award-winning Star Wars Battlefront (as opposed to the SEQUEL to the award-winning Star Wars Battlefront).

Slowly, more people DO seem to be returning to the servers of SWBF1. But, my brethren of the Galactic Battlefront-- it has been a very, very slow return. I've BEEN playing nothing BUT the original, SWBF1. So I'm actually quite excited to hear that so many of you are "tempted" to get back into SWBF1...

But I wonder why it is that so many players haven't yet...

Battlefront 2 has better graphics, better single player, and better gameplay. It is an overall improvement over the first one. There is no logical reason to return to the old one.

If you're refering to more bugs, cartoonish animation, unrealisticly dizzying movement, and retarded AIs as being an "overall improvement", then I agree with you.

Let's all take a moment, now, to remember that everyone's opinion is equally valid, and there is no "right" from "wrong". Also, there is no lack of logic in anyone's reason to do something that brings them joy.

BOTH games have thier advantages and disadvantages over the other one. There is no better One.

Half the people prefer SWBF1. The other half prefer SWBF2. To argue this fact is as futile as it is stupid.

Half the people prefer SWBF1. The other half prefer SWBF2. To argue this fact is as futile as it is stupid.

Such comments aren't welcome, Flowing Force, this is a discussion forum, and when half prefer something and another half prefers something else, we discuss why.

You didn't offer much in the way of a dicussion why you prefer SWBF1, you merely ridiculed people who prefer SWBF2.

...bugs, cartoonish animation, unrealisticly dizzying movement, and retarded AIs...

Funny... I remember those same problems with SWBF1...

It's not as clear cut as you make out, the votes are leaning towards SWBF2. We are arguing between two very different games, SWBF1 may be the original, lacking the fanboy non-canonical hero element, but in it's simplicity it can be boring and repetitive.

SWBF2 is all action, fast, sprint shoot kill Jedi, which makes it alot more exciting than SWBF1, but theres so much wrong with it, all the best bits from SWBF1 have been taken out, the new command classes are just, wrong, and alot of the heroes shouldn't be there.

It basically boils down to this, in Battlefront (both games) do you prefer the ability to sprint, or the splash damage from tank fire/grenades?

I'm so utterly tired of people creating conflict when none should exist.

Such comments aren't welcome, Flowing Force

What comments aren't welcome? Factual statements? I assume you made this thread with a poll for the purpose of accruing facts. Now you're suggesting that the observation OF those facts isn't welcome?

You didn't offer much in the way of a dicussion why you prefer SWBF1, you merely ridiculed people who prefer SWBF2.

Firstly, I didn't offer much of a discussion because the nature of this thread was to ask which of the two games people prefer... I didn't know you wanted this to be another "My Game Is Better Than Your Game" bashing brawl.

Secondly, I'd love to hear how in the world you percieved ANY of my words to ridicule ANYONE of thier opinions.

Was it when I asked that "we remember that everyone's opinion is equally valid, and there is no "right" from "wrong"", or was it when I disolved TKA-001's cynicism by reminding everyone that "there is no lack of logic in anyone's reason to do something that brings them joy."?

Forget it. It's a rhetorical question. I think you and I have both expressed our true intentions, here.

It's not as clear cut as you make out, the votes are leaning towards SWBF2.

Oh geesh! Come ON, Machine Cult! By, like, a FIVE PERCENT MARGIN!

Wow, Dude... you're, like, RE-E-E-E-EALLY reaching right now.

We are arguing between two very different games

No... YOU'RE arguing about two different games. I'm merely speaking in a way that gives validation to all opinions-- or to "both sides", for those who want to see this as some sort of "fight".

SWBF1... can be boring and repetitive.

I cannot deny your experience, nor your opinions. Be that as it may, I actually have recognised most of the facts you cited in comparing the two, and-- as far as objective facts go-- I agree with you.

It basically boils down to this, in Battlefront (both games) do you prefer the ability to sprint, or the splash damage from tank fire/grenades?

It IS a shame that both are not availible together in one game, isn't it? The sprinting is what I like the best from SWBF2 (besides the skins, which do not actually affect gameplay, and which can be added to SWBF1 with the use of mods). But despite how much I may prefer sprinting over splash-damage, I still continue to find SWBF1 extremely exciting, and smoother to play. It is my favorite of the two.

Machine Cult-- you KNOW I can babble, and write extensively in great detail. I didn't offer much of a discussion (initially) so as to avoid clogging up what I considered an excellent thread. I'm actually quite impressed that it made it this far before people started swinging fists.

The comparison list is far too extensive to get into. Various people have already listed most of the greatest factual differences (as opposed to personal opinions only). I cannot argue these facts because... well... they're facts... so, naturally, I percieve them as such.

Truly, there are a few TERRIFIC improvements that SWBF2 has over SWBF1. The game modes are a sweet addition. And I think that the graphics (the skins, the play of shadow and light for 3-Dimentionality, etc.) of SWBF2 are superior-- though I prefer the animation (the actual camera and unit movement) of SWBF1.

There's a feeling that SWBF1 evokes... I feel like I'm actually IN the Star Wars universe, fighting on the Battlefronts! Despite (or perhaps because of) the speed and frenetic energy of SWBF2, it (SWBF2) just feels too "gamey"... too computerey or cartooney, by comparison. I KNOW it's a game for evey second that I'm playing it. Oftentimes, however, when I'm playing SWBF1, I can suspend my disbelief enough where I oftentimes FORGET I'm playing a game, and it feels more like I'm actually IN a Star Wars movie.

To me-- those moments are really, really exciting! I get alot of joy and laughter from a good game of the original... probably because I love the movies so much.

Those people who love computer games in general MORE than they like the Star Wars movies probably like SWBF2, because it IS the faster, flashier, glitzier game.

What comments aren't welcome? Factual statements? I assume you made this thread with a poll for the purpose of accruing facts. Now you're suggesting that the observation OF those facts isn't welcome?

We don't want create a flame thread and your comment was innapriopriate due to the fact that your comment was aimed towards those who picked the other choice.

Oh geesh! Come ON, Machine Cult! By, like, FIVE PERCENT MARGIN!

Well, actually 9%.

It IS a shame that both are not availible together in one game, isn't it? The sprinting is what I like the best from SWBF2 (besides the skins, which do not actually affect gameplay, and which can be added to SWBF1 with the use of mods). But despite how much I may prefer sprinting over splash-damage, I still continue to find SWBF1 extremely exciting, and smoother to play. It is my favorite of the two.

No. It would in many eyes make the game even worse. To be frank, the first battlefront was better than second, despite my vote, maybe if they kept the second battlefront the same way it was in the first and maybe just added levels and characters, would have been better. Maybe even just an expansion.

We don't want create a flame thread and your comment was innapriopriate due to the fact that your comment was aimed towards those who picked the other choice.

WHAT COMMENT??? WHAT FLAME??? I aimed at nobody. The absolute worst thing I've said, here, is that to argue against the documented statistics on this thread is as futile as it is stupid. If you honestly believe that arguing is going to change the statistics, then you may do so WITHOUT me. In my words there were no targets, no flaming, no ridicule, and no inappropriateness. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it simply IS futile to argue against statistics. The only people who would, are those who want to split hairs... 5%... 9%... Of course it's going to fluctuate as time passes, Commander Obi Wan. I don't know about you, but for ME to argue this any further is stupid... as I said before.

Originally Posted by Flowing Force

I still continue to find SWBF1 extremely exciting, and smoother to play. It is my favorite of the two.

No.

Ummmmm... YES.

It IS my favorite of the two.

To "correct" me about my own opinion is not only "inappropriate", but it's as futile as it is... Oh, forget it.

And by the way-- I KNOW there's a big bunch of Star Wars fans out there who KNOW why I chose those words in my original posting of them.

"The rebels have been alerted to our presence. Admiril Ozzell came out of light-speed too close to the system."

~ "He... He felt surprise was wiser..." ~

"He is as clumsy as he is stupid."

....................... Darth Vader, Sith Lord, and

....................... General Veers, conversing, Episode V

Be mindful, though, that UNLIKE Vader, I did not call anybody stupid... just the CONCEPT of arguing over something so trivial.

My goodness! Somebody didn't take thier nap today!

To be frank, the first battlefront was better than second, despite my vote

???!!!???

O.K.

That's my cue.

If you choose to fight it'll be amongst yourselves. I can no longer intefere.

All opinions are OPINIONS... and all opinions are valid.

I leave in peace.

I leave in peace.

Good, I posted this thread because the SWBF forums are dying, not so you can come in tell everyone that you are right and they are wrong.

Oh geesh! Come ON, Machine Cult! By, like, a FIVE PERCENT MARGIN!

Wow, Dude... you're, like, RE-E-E-E-EALLY reaching right now.

???!!!???

O.K.

Try to express your opinions in a more adult manner. Capital letters, bold underlines and "RE-E-E-EALLY" don't help you get your point across.

For gods sake stop quoting Star Wars and comparing yourself to Vader, if you're going to get into an argument with someone then use your own words instead of using someone elses.

WHAT COMMENT??? WHAT FLAME??? I aimed at nobody.

Half the people prefer SWBF1. The other half prefer SWBF2. To argue this fact is as futile as it is stupid

Ring a bell? That comment may have not been directed towards anyboy, but still. It can lead to a "flame war." And some may take it personally.

Ummmmm... YES.

It IS my favorite of the two.

No ****. I figured that out. The "no" in my comment was part of the whole paragraph.

Capital letters, bold underlines and "RE-E-E-EALLY" don't help you get your point across.
Well, they can. :D *hides*

I honestly found 'the comment' not that flamey. Sure, it invoked a lot of feeling, but it's true. It would be hypocritical to say that most prefer BF II when the votes are nearly tied.

And I have the power to change that. :D

Though Flowing Force did say BF I was better, he did concede:

BOTH games have thier advantages and disadvantages over the other one. There is no better One.
Besides, no one has been offended by it yet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt find it that offensive but had he phrased it diffrent it would have sounded completely non offensive.

like venom tyrant said everyones entitled to their own opinion.

oh and mr. peace maker, (lol) peace has never helped anyone play Battlefront has it now

it might have. many atime have i cried out in the field "can't we all just get along", and then suddenly got sliced in half by some n00b playing as yoda or something...

yeah, not too hypocritical, you green little.... *rambles*

Archived