Was it a good book?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a good book?

• Yes, a quality novel
    • Yes, a quality novel and enlightening
    • No, it offended me
    • No, it has a lot of historical inaccuracies
    • No, it wasn't quality literature

I don't see how the possibility of a child proves someone's mortality. Who said you can't have children and be immortal/divine? Just look at the Greek mythology, it's filled with demigods and somesuch (classic example: Hercules).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What she said.

Monotheism means one god/one divine being. Christianity isn't polytheistic because Jesus died and rejoined with The Father. If God On Earth had children and a bloodline, you then have demigods (which would be uncomfortable to say the least if they grew old and died off like normal humans), which equals polytheism.

Then you refuse to accept that religion isn't completely what it seems.

I am fed up with this attitude. Everywhere I go, when I support my religious beliefs I am accused of being a sheep. Or blind. Or stupid. Or bigoted, and I've had ENOUGH!

I know about my religious beliefs, thank you so very much. I have researched and learned and studied my religion in a depth that few outside priesthood bother with. And the Da Vinci Code is a pile of frakking crap. Historical, ethical, theological, philosophical and factual errors alongside an unoriginal plot almost entirely made up of someone else's work, coupled with a rubbish writing style make this one of the most overrated books in history. I KNOW, okay. And I have, from my own research and the research of others uncovered the REAL evil plot - the plot by 19th Century anti-Catholic historians to hype up and exaggerate things like the Inquisition to try and make the Church look bad. Or to gain notoriety.

The Da Vinci Code is almost identical in form and ideal to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, but I don't hear anyone here praising that book.

Further: Apocryphal gospels are *NOT* covered up. You can buy them in paperback form from WH Smith's. They just don't make an awful lot of sense (talking crucifices, etc), or flatly contradict one another...The only four which are alike and fit with tradition (or tradition fits with them), are the three synoptics and John.

Oh, and had Jesus fathered a child it would be part FULLY MAN AND FULLY GOD, and part human. And that gives me a headache just thinking about.

Christianity is MONOTHEISTIC - The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are ONE. And they are three.they are TRI-UNE. Distinct and the same. Like the same consciousness in acting through three different bodies/brains. And on a side note, saints are asked to intercede to God, not worshipped.

What would be polytheistic is if Jesus had had children, in which case we'd have demigods all over the place, and then things become tricky.

Since when do you need to force your own believe into others? If DI doesn't want it in his house, he has his own reasons for that, wich are NONE of our buiseness.

If you believe the Da Vinci code, congrats. But don't force it onto others. The best thing about a faith is that it's all about subjective matters. Everyone believes something else, by adding their own personal feeling to it.

Me? I think the Da Vinci code is entertainment, but i don't believe in God too, although i was raised that way. i've taken a more nautral position in the matter of faith. i have made my own choice in the matter, and everyone should. You shouldn't 'force' people to believe.

One of my old school teachers said it like this:

"I'm here to show you the two sides of the story. What you belive is up to you, i'm only here to give you information."

Just look at the Greek mythology

mythology is not reality. nuff said.

i mean, if there were demi gods in christianity, what would prevent idol worship? if a person is half god half human, then he/she cannot be divine because the human side is still undergoing temptation and giving in every now and then.

Since when do you need to force your own believe into others? If DI doesn't want it in his house, he has his own reasons for that, wich are NONE of our buiseness.

If you believe the Da Vinci code, congrats. But don't force it onto others. The best thing about a faith is that it's all about subjective matters. Everyone believes something else, by adding their own personal feeling to it.

Me? I think the Da Vinci code is entertainment, but i don't believe in God too, although i was raised that way. i've taken a more nautral position in the matter of faith. i have made my own choice in the matter, and everyone should. You shouldn't 'force' people to believe.

One of my old school teachers said it like this:

"I'm here to show you the two sides of the story. What you belive is up to you, i'm only here to give you information."

OK, first of all, I'd like to apologize to anyone who felt I was imposing my attitude on them.

The case actually goes like this: I'm an atheist, I don't beleive in God, I prefer to beleive in science and technology. If you want to beleive in God, that's fine by me, but just as you don't want me, or anyone else to impose their beliefs/disbeliefs on you, I don't want anyone to impose their beliefs on me. So, I hope you can understand why I've been defending my attitude somewhat agressively.

mythology is not reality. nuff said.

And those stories religion tells are reality? What makes them different from the stories from Greek mythology?

And I have, from my own research and the research of others uncovered the REAL evil plot - the plot by 19th Century anti-Catholic historians to hype up and exaggerate things like the Inquisition to try and make the Church look bad. Or to gain notoriety.

Let's not go there, please. I don't know all the details, but I know, and I'm sure most people will agree with me, that the Inquisition was a bad thing.

Whoopsie! Now that I look at it, it has gone a little too far. OK, to get back on topic I pose a question: What was your favourite part of the book, if you even liked it, if not, what's the part that made you hate it?

As to the topic: I thought the book to be and interesting one. Being the scholarly bookworm I am, I took to looking up the sources. I'm not saying that my faith is changed. What I am saying is that the possiblility had me thinking. Later when I was reading through history, I think it was the War between the State, I thought abotu what Teabing said that History is written by the winners. I looked at the Civil War itself. Up in the North it is called the Civil War and in the south, it is called the War Between the State. Both sides view the same events but from a different angle. I tried explaining this to my family but they are ultra conservative though my mom was more open minded. I get that from her :) I also though that

But the 'fact' that Christ had a child proves his mortality, somehow. I still don't see how Jesus couldn't be both Divine and a father, but...

Jesus is the begotten Son of God. He was sent to live as a man here on Earth. He was beaten and crucified where he died. He died, that means he was mortal. If you read what Teabing says about the Bible at the council of Nicea, it was Constatine who ordered the arrangement of the Bible. In order to help the conversion of the people, he had the council choose scripture that diefied Christ, made him more like a God. That is why people tend to forget that he was a man as well. He was tempted by Satan but he overcame it. He disobeyed his parents by remaining at the Temple and made his mother worry about him. Yes he was given the Holy Spirit through his Father but he was living here on earth. That's where we get the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

Still after reading the novel and its prequel, I thought long and hard about how people view things. It doesn't help when the Jedi thing comes into play with their philosophy on truth but really all this fuss that was started over the book's publication was merely a result of how they viewed the book. Same set of facts even though some were inaccurate, yet two differing opinions. Point of view my friends, point of view.

I'd guess it has something to do with the outright historical fictions represented as fact - like the supposed painting of Jesus paying someone to falsely testify his having performed a miracle in the corner of the Sistine Chapel, and the atrociously bad written prose.

Let's not go there, please. I don't know all the details, but I know, and I'm sure most people will agree with me, that the Inquisition was a bad thing.

I'm more than willing not to 'go there'. The Inquisition may not have been an entirely good thing, but that was not my point. My point was that it was not all it has been cracked up to be.

I havn't read the book, nor do i intend to. It's not really my cup of tea. I tend to stay away from religeon as everywhere and apparantly even on this forum now it has the potential to start arguments. It's amazing how a fictional book has got the world so caught up in myths and legends. Nothing more.

^ Or better yet: drop the religous discussion. This thread is about a book, not the religous debate behind it. Let's stay on topic.

It is kind of hard to go around religion when talking about the Da Vinci Code. Since 90% is about religion, talking about the book without it leaves: 'He went into a car.'

Archived