Home

Question regarding Defender

Xyvik

guess thats a posibility, even thought i would like to see them in the front-line. I don't think imps would use so much resources in just a scout tie project =P.

About the fire power of the phantoms its far less than that of the defender, the great improvement it had was the cloack (supposedly to be used with some capital ships till that moment, really expensive and really rare, eu mention something about this) and the life suport. Think they only have 1 more lasser than standard ties.

About phantoms, I know its not going to happen, but it would be nearer to reality (in my opinion...and inside of what we can call reallity here hehehehe) if they were individual units, not squadrons like the rest of the starfighters, it's because they are radar blind (if u can see them in ur x-wing radar i guess the phantoms can't see each other in their radars), they only have visual, so if they were deployed on wings as the rest fo the fighters they could easily collide between themselves (with this I'm not saying that they won't collide if deployed individualy, but at least it will be harder).

Then they'd have to be deployed totally alone, in case some Tie Fighter who missed it collided with the Phantom...

Also, it's bloody hard to keep track of one tiny fighter in a game like E@W. When the heat starts building in the middle of a battle, looking for your Tie Phantom won't be an easy task (unless hotkeyed, but since not everyone does that...) There's a reason why Vader and Luke are deployed as a squadron.

Then they'd have to be deployed totally alone, in case some Tie Fighter who missed it collided with the Phantom...

Also, it's bloody hard to keep track of one tiny fighter in a game like E@W. When the heat starts building in the middle of a battle, looking for your Tie Phantom won't be an easy task (unless hotkeyed, but since not everyone does that...) There's a reason why Vader and Luke are deployed as a squadron.

not impossible, but not necesary either, the phantoms sitll have radar and visual range of the rest of the ships, its just that they are invisible for everyone, so they can be just more carefull.

Hey u $"#% tie look where are u going...wait...u cant see me, crap know im going to have to avoid u colliding with me.

thats why I said phantoms can collide between themselves =)

and about keeping track...i dont keep track by looking at the fighter, but at the icon(and yes i use hotkeys but i still search the icons not the fighter), and if the phantoms are really phantoms at some point they will be cloaked and u wont be able to keep track on them i u look for the fighter and not the icon. At least this is the idea i got from ur post about tracking, maybe i misunderstood it.

dont want a big argument abotu this, its just an opinion

You're right about the icon, but I still think that a single fighter is too small. I mean, the icon is now ridiculously larger then the ship/squadron it's supposed to represent.

As for Phantoms not colliding with others, well, to have more chances of avoiding collisions, both need to be aware. If the Phantom spends as much time looking where his mates are and where they're going as it spends keeping track of its enemies, it's not going to be very effective.

But if you made the fighters bigger to match the icon, the starships would also have to be bigger, which would mean that in turn, the maps would also have to be (much) bigger as well. In the default version of EaW, the fighters are already too big anyway.

I like the size of the things as they are now, I just want a bigger Home One, like that of the trailer =)...o wait...bigger maps, we need bigger maps, not just 40%.

what happens if u have the executor and eclipse and DS II in the same map, even when u can fly over all those ships u will appear right over the enemy space station X_x

XD ok now im offtopic XD

I was curious about the price of the defender, acording to the rolplaying books the cost is around the 300,000 credits, and a standard tie is around 60,000(in EaW the cost is 300), so useind some maths the game cost of the defender should be around 1500, O_o still it seems a little bit expensive for the game cause a ISD is around the 5000 dont?, I expect the cost to be between the 500 and 900.

I was curious about the price of the defender, acording to the rolplaying books the cost is around the 300,000 credits, /QUOTE]

Hey man ive read most of the RPG books, which one has that info in it? To be honest even 5 times the cost of a standard TIE is way too cheap for such a craft.

I thought that Phantoms were a rumour and my first guess was people were told/thought the phantom was going to be in it and the defender would be a surprise. Looks like that is out of the bag now. As for representing cloaked fighters you could still use an icon which obviously only the Imperial player would see and while cloaked it would flash. Simple.

It should only get one special ability and that would be the ion cannons. Im sure it will launch torps but not as big a salvo as the B-Wing. The warhead loads in TIE fighter varied alot without any decrease in performance. remember the special 'double loads' you used to get issued. I always thought a Defender could carry 12 missiles or 8 torps as standard, whereas a B-Wing carried 12 torps.

Im going for 1000 for a squadron of those little beauties. Twice the price of an X-wing squadron but justifiably so.

Hey man ive read most of the RPG books, which one has that info in it? To be honest even 5 times the cost of a standard TIE is way too cheap for such a craft.

It is a WOTC Web Enhancement PDF that can be found here. Free and available to all. Also, the cost is only 200,000 which if you follow the storyline in TIE Fighter covers the cost of developing the Advanced (Avenger), the TIE sized/modified Hyperdrive, as well as shield and miniaturized beam systems included.

Also, credits, speeds and firepowers switch from game to game, computer to paper etc. A lot of the credit system in Star Wars is based off a modified Dungeons and Dragons gold/silver system as well as monetary systems of the US dollar and British pound (talk about confusing, but having 100,000 credits is equivalent to being a millionare from my gaming expierence).

O_o ohhh that must be a new enhancement, the one i had said 300,000(burn on cd), hehehe guess that was to much even for the RPG.

And well we all know the defender is so far the best starfighter, or one of the best, but we must take on account that in the x-wing series the capital ships were a bit weaker than they should be, so for game terms I think that 1000 credits is to much for a squadron of fighters if u can still buy a ISD for 5000. And in my opinion, just in my opinion ok XD dont want a great fight over this, I would like to see the defender be great against fighters, but not to be a match for capital ships, what I mean is if u have 5000 credits to spend, it should be better to spend it on an ISD than in 5 defender squadrons, do u get my point, ofcourse they can make ISD more expensive, and defenders a bit cheaper.

Well there are some points in wich there will be conflicts between what everyone want, cause they have those experiences in other games, and what can be applied to this game. I trust the devs will come with a good solution between what we want and what is good for this game.

I always thought things in the SW universe and RPG were expensive, compared to what you earn, although I never found info on wages for different jobs...you only have to look at ANH when Luke freaks out about the price Han wants to charge for his services. If 10,000 is the cost of a 'pre-loved' starship then 10,000 must be a fair hunk of cash. And starships are not like cars...speeders are their equivalent which are undoubtedly cheaper. Anyway im getting OT

Back to the Defender, Yadiel you certainly have a point, but if they are going to be anything like what they should be they will have to be on the expensive side. Consider what the B-Wing is going to cost. Its certainly going to be more than A-wings and they are over 600. If B-wings go for 800 then Defenders will have to be somewhere in this ball park and considering their capabilities a tad more expensive, hence 1000. Thats my reasoning anyway.

Again your totally correct about what you can get for your cash, but 5 defender squadrons may not be as good as a single ISD. In some cases they would be better. It will take multiple squadrons to take out capital ships but this is of course expensive, and they will not be able to cover themselves while they do it. So you might need to buy something to help do this. I can see advantages and disadvantages of such a unit and to knock out a number of these squadrons cheaply has gotta hurt. If the empire player babies them then they are not getting the use from them and value for money.

I hope they are good but not so good they can take on fleets single-handed, know what I mean. And I would like them more resilient to corvettes than fighters currently are, as I expect the B-wing will be. Make these two craft vulnerable to fighters. Besides if Defenders do get the Ion ability then they can disable a corvette and have half a chance. As for you players who like to field a heap of corvettes; well, the defenders have no hope.

Archived