Home

Lucas isn't the only one to be screwing around with his classic films....

Katarn07

Except the difference here is that you can view the original film on the dvd still, and he didnt make changes specifically for this dvd release, unlike Lucas who decided to do things like put young hayden as Anakin's ghost or redub all of Boba Fett's lines with Temura Morrison's voice. all the versions on the dvd are either original or director's cuts from the '92.

Blade Runner is the one film that I really prefer the originally released, studio "compromised" version to the director's cut (that is, other than the SE versions of Star Wars. :rolleyes: ) Everyone thinks I'm crazy,.. but I just like it better.

So a new version doesn't hold much interest to me in this case.

But yeah: keeping up with all the "Special Version" DVDs getting released of your favorite movies is truly becoming a real pain in the ass.

Just get it right in the first place, folks! If you come out with more special features after the initial release, make it possible for me to get those, without having to buy another version of the movie.

It's really going to be bad when we get to HD DVDs. :rolleyes:

Blade runner was one of the original DIRECTOR'S CUTS, back when that phrase meant what it originally did.

The original was so hacked to peices by the studio that it was a total flop and got crucified by the critics.. it was only when he was allowed to release the original on video that it became recognised as the classic that it is known as today.

the only other film i can think of that had such a dramatic turn around of opinion when the real version was released was Once Upon A Time in America.

I've been waiting on a decent DVD version of Bladerunner for SOOO long now!! :(

It was supposed to be out years ago but it disappeared into a complete black hole.. legal problems i think.

Not sure that many versions are really needed though... but as long as you have the option to choose the version you like its all cool. Its when they try and revise history and wipe the original friom existance that it gets annoying. (Thoguh for OUATIA that isn't a bad idea ;) )

I hear that the Kingdom of Heaven Extended Edition is almost as profound an improvement... but it isn't out here for months yet. I can't imagine that film ever being great, but who knows..

(Note: I quite like the trend of releasing extended versions of films on DVD.. but i always want options to see the original as well.. and i don't like them calling them "director's cuts" when the director was quite happy with the original theatrical version!)

I like Bladerunner, but not enough to watch it again and certainly not to own it. It was slow and kind of confusing. The unicorn dream threw me off. How exactly is Deckard an android? I missed something there.

Well, the LOTR extended trilogy is quite amazing, and I do happen to own the extended Gladiator (which gives you the option of watching the theatrical cut). But that is only because I don't own the original versions. An extended cut I would have wanted to have is Sin City (which does contain the theatrical cut too), but I got the original before I heard about any extended cut :rolleyes:

And as for the extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven, the IGN review praised it and like me, thought very little of the original theatrical cut. That movie was too slow and the only character worth while died in the first 20 minutes.

Liam Neeson, of course.

The multi-disc edition that will finally be released will have multiple cuts, so it sounds like this'll be the one to get for Blade Runner fans (like the "ultimate edition" of Dawn of the Dead that was released a few years back).

So I guess the moral of the story is, never ever buy a movie the first time it comes onto DVD, as there will be a double dip, special edition, director's cut or extended edition released somewhere down the road...

Almost all of those "first release" dvds have already been re-released years ago... because while the picture quality seemed good at the time, remastering techniques and sound have moved on and those first release dvds now look rather poor.

So i have no propblem with them FINALLY releasing the best sci-fi film ever in all its glory.. I'd actually given up hope that i'd get a decent version before HD/Blueray.

At least Scott is always honest when he releases new cuts of his films.. he even put an intro on the new extended Alien film saying it wasn't his prefered version.. but that it was there for the fans who were interested.

Looks like i'll have to wait for the 3 version one. yay!

They are not all a bad thing, the LotR EE work well, though you do need to put aside a few days if you are going to watch one, the alternate cut of Aliens is far better than the original. And with Aliens you get both versions on the one disk.

So I guess the moral of the story is, never ever buy a movie the first time it comes onto DVD, as there will be a double dip, special edition, director's cut or extended edition released somewhere down the road...

And even then, they will be rereleased. Lucas and the original cuts of SW after we all bought the other set? He's now going back and redoing the prequels? He wants to put his movies in 3D?

Now with Bladerunner, there's a set with all three versions. But read the article again. There's no word of this theatrical "Final Cut" being on there. So of course that'll eventually be released after everyone runs out for that three version set. I just think it's annoying.

How exactly is this bad?

Anyway, it's not like he's releasing this shortly after a previous release. The original DVD release for Blade Runner was way the hell back in '97. It was one of the first DVD's to be released.

I agree, a lot of people like to see the director's cuts, and it's a good way to make more money anyways. As long as the original is still on DVD I don't see the problem.

And even then, they will be rereleased. Lucas and the original cuts of SW after we all bought the other set? He's now going back and redoing the prequels? He wants to put his movies in 3D?

Now with Bladerunner, there's a set with all three versions. But read the article again. There's no word of this theatrical "Final Cut" being on there. So of course that'll eventually be released after everyone runs out for that three version set. I just think it's annoying.

It seems to me you whine too much about stuff that really isn't needed to be whined about.

Wah, so they're supplying to peoples demand, who gives a ****.

the alternate cut of Aliens is far better than the original. And with Aliens you get both versions on the one disk.

See, i think that the director's cut of aliens totally wrecks it.. it completely destroys the suspense and the pacing. But that is why its great that the Aliens disc has both cuts... you can watch both, make your mind up and then go with the one you like.

Even though i don't like the extended cut as a film, i still thought it was interesting to watch and the new scenes were worth watching. Same goes for the extended cuts of Alien3 and Alien4 - even though neither actually improves the film much - they are at least interesting to watch.

Oddly enough, i hated Cameron's director's cut of Aliens, but thought his director's cut of Terminator 2 was a big improvement. It slows it down a fair bit, but i didn't think it wrecked the pacing as much as the new begining of Aliens.. and it added a lot to the characteristaions and fixed a few plot holes.

--

I wouldn't mind that much if they release a bladerunner dvd without the theatrical cut as everyone agrees it was pants (well, except edlib :o)... but it would be nice to have all three for completeness.

Yeah... I know. :rolleyes:(Trust me... I've been down this road before.)

I saw the original version about 8 or 10 times, then read the book, then saw the original version a couple more times,.. THEN saw the director's cut,.. and instantly disliked it.

I happen to think the voice-overs give the movie a different character than any other sci-fi movie ever released, and put it more into the category of a classic film-noir detective tale,... and I absolutely HATE the idea of Decker also being a replicant. It totally ruins the emotional impact of the last scenes of the movie for me. To me, the impact of the story comes with the idea that a human who has spent his career dispassionately eliminating rogue androids the same way someone might throw away a malfunctioning toaster oven can suddenly learn to emphasise with them, and even fall in love with one.

If he's a replicant, then so what? I mean, the "Sixth Sense" type surprise turnaround is cool and everything (yes, I know Blade runner was first) but all the emotional impact of seeing him run away with Rachael is lost for me. They're just another pair of replicants trying to escape. So they're replicants with programmed emotions and false memories, but that's not as interesting to me as seeing a human take that leap.

Also, in the book, Decker is clearly human. There's never even a hint that he might be otherwise. (of course, he's also an overweight addict, with a wife and kids if I remember correctly... so that may not be the best mirror to hold up to the story.)

That's why I still like the theatrical cut better. I do own a VHS tape of the director's cut though. Had I seen it first, maybe that's the version I'd like better today...

Archived