Home

New maps and mods. Have you tried them?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

There is a whole gult of new maps and mods flying around the Empire at War galaxy and I have tried a couple of them - but found most of them to be flawed - one way or another.

How many of you have tried these new maps and mods and can you recomend any?

DMUK

There is a whole gult of new maps and mods flying around the Empire at War galaxy and I have tried a couple of them - but found most of them to be flawed - one way or another.

How many of you have tried these new maps and mods and can you recomend any?

DMUK

There is a way to get this question without asking it. Open up a forum that will allow people to announce their releases, so they can get feedback. The KotOR Forums had successfully executed this idea. When a mod is released in a forum that has other anouncements, the thread gets lost in a sea of other non-related topics.

Remember, giving away prizes doesn't make people intrested in the game. You can't force anyone to do anything that they don't want to. You have to find various ways to get people intrested in this game.

Yesterday, I noticed Petro was opening a community forums, and their main statement was a decleration to become the center of the RTS universe. Unfortunately, not many people have signed up. I think nine people have.

Asking this type of question makes you look desperate. Try to figure out ways to ask the question indirectly. Make people feel confortable, and allow them to roam and relax.

According to the poll on http://www.empireatwar.net , 53.6% said they have not played any of the player maps. Seperate the releases into their own forum, so people can get involved with feedback and such. But, don't force the issue.

Guest DarthMaulUK

We do have the Mod forum for people to announce their creations already - and it is well used. Its the most visited forum we have currently. The point of this question was to find out what people are playing - not to advertise mods

DMUK

We do have the Mod forum for people to announce their creations already - and it is well used. Its the most visited forum we have currently. The point of this question was to find out what people are playing - not to advertise mods

DMUK

I missed interpreted your post I apologize.

• 1 month later...

I've played many custom made space skirmish maps, and some are very good. Others, though, are very bad.

Since I don't remember the names of these maps, I'll tell you how I judge whether or not a map is good.

I look for two things:

#1 is whether or not the mines are all clustered together for each team. It's bad if they're clustered together, and the reason is the TIE scout. These maps always give a huge advantage to the empire. One ping at the enemy mines and your entire fleet is instantly there. And it's game over shortly afterward.

#2 is chokepoints, like lines or groups of asteroids protecting space stations with only a small opening for the enemy to get through. Again, due to the TIE scout these maps are unbalanced. It makes it easy for the empire to attack, but a real pain for the rebels.

I've played quite a few maps with one of these two flaws. And the map's creator never believes me when I say the map is unbalanced in favor of the empire.

So while I can't recommend any specific custom made space skirmish maps, I can tell you what to look out for when someone's hosting one, and what to avoid when making one.

I've played many custom made space skirmish maps, and some are very good. Others, though, are very bad.

Since I don't remember the names of these maps, I'll tell you how I judge whether or not a map is good.

I look for two things:

#1 is whether or not the mines are all clustered together for each team. It's bad if they're clustered together, and the reason is the TIE scout. These maps always give a huge advantage to the empire. One ping at the enemy mines and your entire fleet is instantly there. And it's game over shortly afterward.

Hehehehehehe, it's not that way on my custom space maps, Some may have mines clustered together, my latest map has 20 mines for each side clustered together, and even if the enemy wanted to hyperspace or fly over there even, it would be a suicide mission! there's like 12 turrets at least around and in the cluster of mines. And even if they did somehow manage to hyperspace in them, they'd be dead REALLY soon. :vsd::blast5:

#2 is chokepoints, like lines or groups of asteroids protecting space stations with only a small opening for the enemy to get through. Again, due to the TIE scout these maps are unbalanced. It makes it easy for the empire to attack, but a real pain for the rebels.

I've played quite a few maps with one of these two flaws. And the map's creator never believes me when I say the map is unbalanced in favor of the empire.

So while I can't recommend any specific custom made space skirmish maps, I can tell you what to look out for when someone's hosting one, and what to avoid when making one.

:twogun:

Ahh but even if they're soon dead from turrets, a suicide fleet of acclamators and tartans vs the enemy mines can turn the tide in the empire's favor. In fact, I don't expect the fleet I send to the rebel's mine cluster via pinging to survive anyway. It's built solely to destroy those mines, and while I'm attacking those mines my teammates are building their own fleet and/or teching up.

I HAVE ASTOUNDING NEWS FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD MOD! Last night I played one that added TONS of new ships and heros for both sides (the pirate bases had some new ships also I believe), including the SSD. This mod includes the proper icons and the proper models. It doesn't change ground very much, if at all. In space though, the ships are absolutely astounding. You have to see it to believe it. There are a couple of small glitches that I saw, but they are just minor things. The first is that after you upgrade to tech level 5 there are so many units on your build menu that they don't all fit on screen until you build the hero units (heros disapear from the list when they are built, so then you can see everything). The second problem is that in multiplayer there are a couple of ships that don't have the color parts on them to show what player they belong to, so the whole ship turns that color. But that was just one or two ships, and they look great when you're not playing skirmish.

I did a google search and found the file here: http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/EAW_Enhanced_Mod;66827

I can't believe people haven't been going wild over this thing. I played it for several hours last night online against a friend, and there were no errors and the AI even looked like it was using all the new units in a smart way. I've tried several mods, but nothing i've seen looked anything like this one. Most of the mods are incomplete, or just change unit stats and such.

Oh and did i mention that it includes the big donut shaped battleships that the trade federation used in ep 1? There's a screen shot of one here from this mod:

http://empireatwar.filefront.com/potd/63715

In answer to the other half of your original question, I play lots of custom space maps, but few of them are very good. Most of them seem to have too much stuff, like dozens of laser turrets or some other silly thing.

Well, it seems that the two links above don't always work. Maybe filefront is having trouble. Sorry for the inconvienience if it didn't work the first time. It's working now, but it wasn't working last night. The files are really worth checking out though.

PS, sorry for the double-post. This was originally a nasty flame post about filefront because the message it displayed when the links didn't work was kinda rude and mocking. I would totally delete this post if I could.

The BailMod has been looking good, I found it on empireatwarfiles.com or the Star Wars: Empire At War section of Filefront, there are some good ones out there. You can just add the "Improved LoW SSD" Mod to the LoW SSD mod and it will fix all problems (but the engine glow). But there are a few mods that are about to arrive like the LoW v.01 (It was announced in the Mod Forum), the countdown has begun.

Archived