Home

Underused units

mattwild

• 4 weeks later...
I find the Assault Frigate MKIIs to be completly useless. Neb-Bs are better in every way, and cheaper too.

No they're not! Assault Frigates own Neb-Bs. Take it from someone who has pitted them against eachother. I changed the affiliation of the Assault Frigate and the Rebel Infiltrator to be Empire because I love them both. I sent 1 Assault Frigate into space alone and I found a Neb-B, I thought it would be a cool fight, the Assault Frigate won. I didn't even target hardpoints, I just fired at the hull and the Assault Frigate won.

True the Neb-Bs do cost less and they are almost as good as Assault Frigates but you also have to take armour into mind. The Assault Frigate can last longer up against a Star Destroyer than a Neb-B can.

Final Verdict: Nebulon B Medical Frigates are almost as good as Assault Frigates and cost less but they aren't as tough.

Guest DarthMaulUK

A lot of people hardly use the Broadside/Marauder cruisers. Which are pretty lethal and Bothan spies inform me that these ships are the favourite of one of the devs.(Delphi)

DMUK

well,I play mostly with the empire and to me corellian gunships are a real pain in the a**....and i can imagine that most rebel players use them because they are fast and pretty strong against almost anything-sure,I'm not saying that 1 or 2 are dangerous I'm saying 6-7 are...

I've tried a swarm of them. It can be damned effective vs the enemy station (or it used to be). However it's extremely vulnerable. Broadside and marauder cruisers seem to last as long as a squad of fighters when under fire.

It's a bad idea to swarm with just broadsides.

My favorite tactic back in the early days (February and March) was to buy a fleet of just broadsides (buy but not deploy), Boba Fett, and 1 or 2 TIE scouts. I'd wait for about 10-15 to be built, send my scouts off to the corner near the base, ping somewhere near the enemy base with one scout but not too close (just out of range) and preferably during a large battle elsewhere that had the enemy's attention, and send in all my cruisers and Boba Fett. Then group all my cruisers together, ping the station with the 2nd scout since the station was out of range to target, click that "Barrage" button and target the station. They'd move to just within firing range and that's it, which back then was often just outside the sight range of the enemy station so a lot of times they never even knew it was happening.

That's why I said that preferably there was a battle going on elsewhere; so there could be a chance the enemy didn't even notice the barrage until the "Your space station has taken serious damage" popup. And for the times they did notice, Boba Fett was around to take care of any pesky xwings or ywings.

It worked like a charm back then. It wasn't foolproof; once in a while one of my enemies had ships in storage or a sizeable defending force, but it worked often enough that I came to love it.

This tactic also worked as rebels with marauder cruisers, only I'd fly the Millenium Falcon somewhere nearby the empire's station instead of pinging. It was riskier but usually worked.

It still kinda works now, but is harder to pull off. Not only do players have more skill and awareness now, but cruisers can't sit back out of sight range and barrage a station (from what I've seen). It can still be effective though if timed just right.

I can't stand the Broadside/Maurader...

I know that gameplay-wise and tactically they're extremely effective, but canonically rediculous. There has never been an 'artillery ship'. The broadside was made up and the maurader corvette was in actuality a light combat cruiser armed with light turbolasers. I see why they were used, something in the game has to balance space stations, but i don't like them.

That said, I also don't really use the Mark II Assault Frigate. It's shields are absolute paper, I lose those ships more than anything else. The Nebulon is sturdy, reliable, and fairly well armed, and you save enough for an X-Wing squadron.

I second the thread poster. The Corellian Gunship I barely used to use at all, but in swarms of 3-5 they absolutely decimate Imperial capital vessels.

IMHO TIE scouts and biker scouts are underused - there simply isn't a lot of need for scouting in space, and a normal squad of TIE's can do an almost equally good job while costing no money or pop; similarily biker scouts cost way too much considering their laghauble durability (about anything kills them in 1 shot) and therefor they aren't good for anything besides scouting - for which it most often doesn't pay to waste 1 pop point of maybe 4...

I'd find it cool if bike scouts really were an effective counter for artillery (like rebel air speeder maybe) - it would both strengthen an underused and weaken a severely overpowered unit.

I use them in GCs as watchdog-slash-lure units...sometimes I want to hit an enemy planet and take out the space station, but don't want to invade the planet entirely, I'll leave a scout unit in orbit and pull my fleet back. That at least lets me know when the Rebels try to retake the system, and it lets me know the disposition of Rebel forces. And since the AI inevitably only sends enough units to take out the scouts, I can zip right back with the battle fleet and crunch them. :)

I occasionally use TIE scouts for scouting, since probe droid information goes obsolete and they're fast enough to avoid enemy fire long enough to see what sorts of units are in a system. But only in GCs.

Ah, beat me to it. Yeah, I was going to say, those things are fairly worthless. I don't think I've ever even purchased them.

TIE scout could be the single most useful ship in the game. I won't say why, but I do wish the rebels had an equivalent.

TIE scout could be the single most useful ship in the game. I won't say why, but I do wish the rebels had an equivalent.

Used in conjunction with Broadside cruisers they can be particularly effective. And of course, once the expansion comes out and introduces stealth units they'll be even handier.

A lot of people hardly use the Broadside/Marauder cruisers. Which are pretty lethal and Bothan spies inform me that these ships are the favourite of one of the devs.(Delphi)

DMUK

lol I use those things A TON!!! they're excellent for destroying just about everything at long range, just not such a hotshot when it's point-blank-range fighting lol :)

Archived