Home

Game Potential...

urluckyday

I recently posted about the Sam and Max Lucasarts was going to produce but cancelled. Now I'm here to post about the Telltale Game's Sam and Max. I must say that it was probably a good idea that Lucasarts didn't produce the next game. The game probably would have upset fans instead of pleased them. Sure, it might have been amazing too, but chances are they cancelled it because they got some poor feedback from early testers or something. I'd have to say: from what I've seen so far, this game has some great potential. Not really enough to bring back the adventure game to it's "golden age" status but really get a whole lot of new people involved in the genre. This game (if executed correctly) could really help the industry out by bringing some originality and risk back into the business. This could really help other developers decide to take the risk of brining out more unique ideas and genres. But what do I know...I've only been playing games for years...

But seriously...this could (and I stress could) be a great thing for the industry to experience...

later

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pessimism tells me that Telltale Games is an invisible company, and will always be invisible. Nothing they do is going to change the general public’s opinion on gaming, especially something like making adventure gaming popular again. What they are doing is nice for the small online community of nerds that will find it and will have the ability to pay for it (the latter I lack). The big American companies (EA, Lucasarts, Ubisoft …) will never look at telltale’s strategy and recognize it as something that they will want to emulate. They’ll keep the system that they have been establishing for years and selling it to the general public because a large company won’t ever deter from what the general public wants. I hate the general public.

While Telltale may never become a global superpower, I think episodic gaming is only going to increase. Xbox Live Arcade on the 360 sells bite-sized games for $5-10 a pop, and Valve Software - inarguably a heavy-hitter in the world of mainstream gaming - is making large waves in both the gaming community and the press with their distribution of Ritual games' SiN Episodes, and their in-house production of Half Life 2: Episodes. Telltale was doing the episodic model a year or two ago but they're not the only ones around with those plans (thankfully).

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would help the popularity of a game like Telltale's Sam & Max if it was distributed through Valve's Steam. Though I know many people won't like it because they hate Steam (though personally I've had no problems with it), it wouldn't be the first third party game to be released using Valve's broadband distribution system. I would love to be able to just sign into Steam and see Sam & Max among all of my Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike stuff, just ready to be played.

If Sam & Max gets good word of mouth, it will certainly help it more than it did Psychonauts. The game was poorly distributed in the first place, and when it didn't sell well it simply stopped being stocked. I could not find a copy in any physical store I went to six months after release. People just couldn't get the game unless they made a conscious effort to look for it. Sam & Max won't have that availability issue, so anyone who gets interested only has to go download it, whether they discover the game six months or six years after it comes out. The biggest challenge will be getting people who aren't already Sam & Max folks to find out about it in the first place and where to get it.

The biggest challenge will be getting people who aren't already Sam & Max folks to find out about it in the first place and where to get it.

I guess the computer gaming world cover-story is a great start... anyone who is familiar with Hit The Road who sees this cover on the stands in August will surely browse the magazine, even if they don't actually purchase it.

samnmax_cgwcover.png

More here, including the 3 other cover design idea sketches, plus a higher res version of the finished art without all the type

It's like the 90's again!

You can say that again...

Say what you will about the 90s, but some amazing stuff came out during this era. Over in the LucasArts camp, the writers behind the video games had apparently lost their minds.

And the games they produced couldn't have been better.

Among titles like Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle, Sam and Max Hit the Road climbed to the top of the heap for offbeat adventure games with a dark, cynical and deranged humor all its own.

I do hope they fix Max's ears, their too damn rigid, like Gerbils penis while watching "The Price is Right"

Thank you for that horrifyingly vivid imagery. I'm sure that will haunt my dreams for years to come.

I wish they could get different voice actors. I preferred the voices in both the game and the TV show to the ones they've cast.

Archived