Home

Attempting to reduce crashes, any advice?

Dr_night

I'm a die-hard modder, but kotor 2 seems to be crashing, at least, like once every other area, and I simply cnanot play like this. Therefore, I am trying to reduce my mods to the bare essentials, and wondering if anyone can tell me if any of these are likely to cause crashes.

The most desired mods of mine are:

Ultimate saber mod. Adds a lot more of a unique feel to the game, not the dime a dozen lightsabers.

High level force powers 2.0 With the 2.1 update. I think this is the most likely candidate for causing xcrashes, as much as I love the powers, but if it is, at least I can replace it with the floating sabers mod.

Mandalore without helmet: Simple mod, I know it probably isn't causing the crashing, but it looks soo good.

Slender body mod: No perverted comments, please. I just think it provides a better look for the female exile. If this could possibly cause crashes, what I'd replace it with, the new female PC pack probably wouldn't be any better...

An improved force-crush mod: A cool mod that kmakes it sound like crushing and squishing ;o

New loading screens: Replaces some of the horrible low-rez screenshots for the loading screens with concept art from the game.

Which of these are the most likely to cause crashes? >.>

Was it crashing before you installed the mods? Is it random crashes or do the crashes always occur at the same location or performing the same action? If it's random, then it is most likely not caused by any of those mods.

If we had your detailed specs as indicated in this thread, that would also help: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=146050

I'm moving this thread to the workbench forum.

Darth333 is right.. if it's at certain points or actions, we might be able to isolate the problem.. however install order of the mods are very important...

I would suggest installing the USM first, make appropriate changes/additions with the other mods.. and finally, install stoffe's Force Power mods since they use the TSLPatcher, they will append themselves after you have manually changed the mod(s) that don't use it... and you don't risk overwriting any of the Force Powers .. hehehe

The reason I say USM first is because it's so massive, it will be much easier to make changes to the others by building on the USM base ;)

All right, thanks. And they seem to be occuring at both random areas, and when specific things are triggered. For instance, just walking through an area, it will semeingly crash at random, with no pattern., But sometimes, like when opening a certain door on telos, and contronting the enemies on the other side with a melee weapon equipped, will crash. But when at the same point, and switching to ranged weapons, opening and firing, nothing wrong at all. So I'm really not sure as to what to think.

Higher level force powers used the TSL patcher too, can I ask what mods you're talking about? I'll try this, and if it doesn't work, I'll begin re-installing those mods.

System specs: OS: Windows XP 5.1, build 2600 service pack 2.

CPU: Intel, pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz

RAM: 2048 MB

HD: (NTFS), UNICODE 65.91 GB free

Video: AIW x600 series, 256mb.

Audio: USB audio device

OpenGL ATI techs inc, 1.5.4709 winXP Release

DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

Definitely do what ChAiNz said.

Make sure you install stoffe's FP last as the force crush mod uses the spells.2da file as well (but this is unlikely to cause random crashes: the worst that could happen is that one of the two mods would not work).

But sometimes, like when opening a certain door on telos, and contronting the enemies on the other side with a melee weapon equipped, will crash
Is it a specific melee weapon?

And post your detailed specs please ;)

Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.

Click on "Configure".

Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.

Click "Yes" to continue.

Click "Details" to view your system specs.

Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.

Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

Higher level force powers used the TSL patcher too, can I ask what mods you're talking about? I'll try this, and if it doesn't work, I'll begin re-installing those mods.

Yah, I was using your preferred list as a base...

such as install the USM first...

make changes to the other mods (if required) to make it compatible with the USM..

- Mandalore Helmet

- Slender Bodies

- Force Crush Sound (shouldn't really be a problem with this one)

- Loading Screens (again, not problematic)

THEN install the Higher Level Force Powers. Since it uses the patcher, you won't have to worry it's causing problems. However, if you installed it before the others, then the other mods might accidentally overwrite something (since manual installs overwrites rather than appends)...

From your description though, it sounds like maybe a baseitems.2da conflict .. (possibly USM/Mandalore helmet clash) though I would think that the blasters would be affected to :confused:

If you think it might be the Force Powers, make sure that if you use any other mod that uses a spells.2da file is installed before the Force Powers mod (unless they too use the Patcher)...

Archived