Home

Thrawn confirmed!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Garm Bel Iblis... will this be when he was part of the Rebel Alliance, if so he wouldnt have his dreadnaughts... since he collected them after he separated from the alliance... also... i was under the impression that by the time of the Thrawn Trilogy he had 6 dreadnaughts... and that they were all involved in the battle with the Katana...

If Bel Iblis makes it into the game it will almost certainly be post-Endor. It makes no sense to add a hero in the expansion pack that concentrates on the ESB/RotJ time period and then insert a character as he was before even the events of the original campaign.

And since the Empire is getting another hero with his own spaceship (Thrawn) then it's a good possibility that the Rebels will get one too.

Garm Bel Iblis will probably have some sort of bonus that allows his ship to use ion cannons to temporarily knock out a opposing ship...

Admiral Thrawn will have some kind of all round tactical modifier for his fleet... like utilise cultural blindspot... or something...

This is fantastic news!!

Thrawn is a magnificent character. Arguably the most tactically brilliant commander in Star Wars history (arguably because of Ackbar, bel Iblis, Farlander, Kre'fey, Antilles). What a fantastic choice.

bel Iblis as well is a totally excellent character addition. Brilliant and independent tactician.

Someone mentioned a Mon Calamari frigate. I'm guessing that'll be the MC-40 we see in the X-Wing games (the Lulsa) and NJO Balance Point (the Poesy)

One of the developer interviews mentioned a "Mon Calamari frigate." We weren't given a specific designation, but I'd expect it to be smaller than the MC-80 and have some interesting special ability or interesting weapon loadout (perhaps like a Rebel version of the Acclamator).

Thrawn is...well...er...okay, I just re-read the original Thrawn trilogy, 'cause I thought, what the heck, it's summer and the last time I read those was like in fifth grade. Having him in Forces of Corruption is somewhat un-canon since at this time period he's supposed to be zipping around the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, but I'm okay with that since Empire at War theoretically spans the whole galaxy. His special ability will probably be either a general tactical modifier a la Fleet Commanders, Mon Mothma, and the Emperor; but it could also be some specific tactic that could be triggered like Admiral Ackbar's concentrate fire ability. However, I must say I really don't like Thrawn that much as a "tactical genius." The art thing is a bit too hokey; and the way Timothy Zahn wrote Thrawn was to make him seem smart just by having him know things he couldn't possibly know. That's not really plausible.

Okay, the blasphemy has ended. :)

No, it's not blasphemy. I'm actually much the same about Thrawn. I don't see him as the God that most Star Wars fans seem to. It's true that he was very much a Master of fleet combat, but I disagree when I hear him called THE master. In my mind, Ackbar was THE master. if you've read New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way, Ackbar's strategy at the Battle of Ebaq 9 was absolutely amazinng. Also, Admiral Kre'fey's work in several campaigns as well as Bel Iblis's cold hard rational thinking during the defense of Coruscant in Star by Star were oustanding.

And, in a tip of the hat to your username, if you've read Allston's two NJO books, Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand, General Wedge Antilles was a complete genius in the defense of Borleias.

Thrawn was good, no doubt, but no god. Ackbar was easily his equal.

its all relative really... depending upon who has what ships, where they are, how they are working, etc... i mean Thrawn was an excellant commander, but i agree that there were many others of a similar calibre... also, wasnt there one in the dark nest trilogy who beat the thrawn simulations... i dont want to get into a debate about whether fighting a simulation of thrawn is anything like fighting him in person... but this shows that it is silly to call thrawn the master of startegy and tactics when there are others who are just as good... all that aside... i quite like the idea of thrawn being able to use species are to understand their physhe... it adds new depth to him as a character and as a strategist...

• 3 weeks later...

Having him {Thrawn} in Forces of Corruption is somewhat un-canon since at this time period he's supposed to be zipping around the Unknown Regions of the galaxy,

no... he wasnt in the unknown regions at that time... he returned to the them after the battle of Hoth... according to his page on the star wars databank...

Archived