Home

-what do you think of Darth Nihilus-

DarthSilas

I had said in a different post that I thought Nihilus was nothing more than a red herring. Specifically, Kreia played him up as a big huge bad guy so you would feel the need to go after him. Likewise, she was setting him up to come after you. All so she could get rid of him. She was the main bad person from the first moment of the game, not him. He wasn't supposed to be. That is the plot twist. When you fight him you realize he isn't the bad ass, but she is. I would liken her to Kaiser Soze in The Usual Suspects.

Now it can certainly be argued that this was disappointing, but I believe it was at least intentional that he wasn't a huge challenge.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right to a point Mosier, but the problem is Nihilus just looks bad ass in the first place. Plus he is all over the covers of KOTOR 2 TSL and all over their merchandise. I realize that was the plot twist, we just wish that it wasnt that kind of a plot twist I guess. We all thought Nihilus deserved a little more than that.

Nihilus is the coolest sith lord in KotOR if not all of Star Wars. Unfortunately he is also the character that falls the furthest from his potential. He should have been close to impossible to beat, yet falls all too easily in the game, even on the hardest difficulty setting.

Yes, I know there are plot reasons for it, but I still feel those should have been the reason why the Exile has even the remotest possibility of defeating Nihilus, when any other jedi would drop flies before him.

Still, I have this dark hope that we might see Nihilus return in some dark form if KotOR3 is ever made... ;)

I definitely agree. Personally I think he is the most cool/evil looking Sith Lord ever. Was he also the most powerful? Annihilating/consuming the population of an entire planet? Darth Sidious needing a freaking super-laser to accomplish that, Nihilus just used his mind.

Anyway I also hope that he returns in some form in KOTOR3, and I also feel that Darth Maul's character was wasted/a disappointment in the same way as Nihilus was (for me of course).

I'm ready to bet that nihilus will return other wise it would have been pointless to turn him into a ghost like that in K2... if that was really darth Nihilus becoming one with the dark side like Yoda and Obi-Wan did with the light side of the force

hmmm, i do think it would be awesome to have darth nihilus return in k3.. fighting him was a disapointment, visas should of been killed by him in a force eating like thing - mandalore should of fallen down as well and then the exile and nihilus fight... that would have been better (madalore surviving just and visas dying!)

the whole reason he was weak was cause of the hole inb the force thing, but kreia should hav explained how he became so powerful, eg at malachor you cut yourself off from the force, nihilus chose to eat those poweful in it...

i was sad when darth maul git killed in the PM becuz it was sooo lame - tho he served his purpose which was showing obi wan's progression to jedi knight.

Darth Nihilius is an interesting person. Problem is Obsidian wasted him. I mean look at the packing of KotOR 1. You see Darth malak very big. He's the bad boy. the whole time. He's your enemy you will fight him. You knew it from the beginning. Now look at the packing of KotOR 2. There's a big Nihilius on it. i thought "Ok this will be the boss. Can't wait to kick his ass". I admit I was disappointed when you fight Kreia in the end. the story was lame. I don't like thos "secret wars". To hide all the time. Now in K 1 you had an "open war". You knew who's the enemy. And the last part of the Game on the Starforge was awesome. Never ending waves of Sith troppers and Dark jedis. And then the ultimate fight between you and malak. Master and apprentice.

Oops sry, drifted away a bit... ;)

Now I'd like to see Nihilius again but this time make him a real challenge.

No, Revan is not Nihilus.

I'm somewhat reluctant to explain it all, and it is a fairly complex idea, but if you really are interested, then go here:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=35489

You'll see me begin to explain toward the end of the first page. Just be warned - it's a very lengthy discussion and could be a major spoiler in the unlikely event that I turn out to be right.

So you think Nihilus is the dark side of the exile... I tried to stay with the thread that you posted but it's really long, but I get the general idea. Your explanation makes it sounds logical and believable. I'll see if it really turns out that way when K3's out. ::):

My thoughts about Darth Nihilus:

Fist of all, how do you get to know that this is his name? I know that is a minor issue, but c'mon, noone knows his name, then suddenly the questlog says "defeat Darth Nihilus"...lame if you ask me. Or did I miss something?

Anyways, i like his appearance, he does look like a badass sithlord, BUT he has no, absolutely no character. Like he is some kind of monster (well actually he is).

His abilities (destroying every form of live) are just retarded. I generally don't like the idea of those "all powerfull beings", it kinda takes away the fun. That makes it even more pathetic that he gets defeated so easily.

Obsidian wasted that character. He could have been a powerful cunning Lord of the Sith. And what did they turn him into? A retarded brainless monster with ridiculous powers, that doesn't even serve a real purpose.

Nihilus in Kotor II sucks.

The scary thing about Nihilus is that he is power without presence, instinct without intellect. He is a very alien character, because you're not quite sure whether those noises are supposed to be speech or what, and all his actions seem to be reactions only.

You're right that Nihilus has no character, but then nor should he have. Remember what Kreia tells us of Nihilus and his power.

Kreia: "It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves... it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes.It cannot be taught... it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand."

{Quietly}"Yes. And he fed upon its destruction - it will sustain him, for a time.Because it is not something that can ever truly be controlled... and it leaves nothing to conquer in its wake.And it rules him, not the other way around. It has its own will, its own instincts."

{Chiding}"Power? Do you think so?{Shakes head}You would be wrong. There is no strength in the hunger he possesses... and the will behind his power is a primal thing. And it devours him as he devours others - his mere presence kills all around him, slowly, feeding him. He is already dead, it is simply a question of how many he kills before he falls."

Nihilus is the Star Wars version of an undead being, a zombie/vampire-like creature that drains life (the force) from others in order to continue its own corrupted existence.

• 2 weeks later...
well I think Nihilus is the force it self cause think about it when u kill a sith they drop dead but when nihilus died he went in red sparky stuff and he speak an ood language kinda like an ancient sith holocron.

Yes, well, I'm still not sure Nihilus is entirely dead, which has to do with his origin, which seems tied to the Exile... It'll be interesting to see KotOR3, if they ever make it.

Btw, I love your avatar :D

Archived