Do you still play online?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still play online?

• Yes. Always have, always will
    • The time spent online has been reduced
    • I play only at weekends
    • I've totally given up

Guest DarthMaulUK

Today, I was thinking how all my most recent online experiences have been very poor - one reason or another. They all focus around the fact that the actual playing community cheat too much, drop too much and nothing gets done about it.

Personally, I havent played a ranked game in weeks because of these reasons and its funny how it all centres around Gamespy.

For Empire at War to survive like Dawn of War has, I believe that the current set up needs dramatic improvements. The batch of servers should be reduced down and not named by country, the interface needs to be improved so players can actually still chat whilst waiting for a game to launch and the entire ranking system needs an over haul. Quick match is a complete waste of time (especially on 1v1 campaign) and a more user friendly version needs to be brought in.

Gamespy arent to blame for all of the above but they are to blame for the way they maintain the forums, chat lobbys and general admin.

I would like to know how you all feel about it. Are you still playing? Is it still fun? Have the recent new player made maps improved things?

DMUK

I have actually never played in an online game. Hopefully now that I'm done with school for a while (hooray!) I can play some more on my own and eventually try out online and see how it is myself.

meh. skirmish ftw

and about what DarthMaul said, thou should check Empires:Dawn of the modern world online functions. its also powered by gamespy, but because the game mechanics allows chatting on the main lobby even while in a rom, its great, perhaps EAW online should be centred around that.

I play the game online nearly every day. Its a great game. But the people you meet online isent always that great. Thats why I joined a clan so I know where the good peoples are. But I still meet peoples that cheats, are annoying and leave the game in the middle of a match only becouse it dident go so well.

And I agree that the game needs some changes on the servers and soo, so the game can survive throut onlinegaming.

The Poll needs another option: I do not play online.

You are assuming everyone does; reading the above post gives reason why I never waste my time online. That is for all games, not just EAW.

It would seem 50% love it, the other 50% careless.

Guest DarthMaulUK

The poll is aimed at all those who have/are playing online. A poll has already been done for those who do/do not play online. The idea is to find out how many people started playing, either still do or don't play it anymore

DMUK

I haven't played on the official servers in ages, and I've never played a game with random people. The only reason I use the online servers is due to the lack of direct IP connection option.

In fact, I still have to finish a quick Galactic Conquest that was started weeks ago.

But I still meet peoples that cheats, are annoying and leave the game in the middle of a match only becouse it dident go so well.

Such is, unfortunately, the state of affairs of just about every online game these days. The online scene is too littered with (usually) young punks who think it's fun to 'haxxor' or aren't mature enough to face defeat as easily as winning.

If I could ever send a message out to those kind of people, there are two things I'd want to say, first to the cheaters and second to the poor sports: One) Get a life

Two) You learn more from defeat than from victory.

That's why I only play online with people I know, which is a startling low number.

In order to be succesful, the online portion of a game (especially RTSs) needs to be moderated. Hackers must be banned, and servers must be kept "in good shape".

As far as I am concerned, I never seriously got involved in multiplayer in LucasArts' games. Most I have played is probably SWGB, but the Zone is so crappy that it wasn't much fun anyway. Did play a lot with friends over modem/IP though.

But Empire at War was simply not interesting enough, at least for me. I think I tried online once or twice, and it was rather pathetic.

So yeah, I have totally given up. But not only the multiplayer. IMO, both SWGB and FC were more fun both online and in single player. Meh.

Look ad DAwn of the War. Has no moderator but has great MP support. Not this annoying thing the created. You want to change region you have to exit the game and go in configuration and then specify UK/France/USA/Germany etc etc....

As for guys who are leaving the game before the end it is easy. They don't want to screw up their stats. One of ways to solve this is to give them more negative points if they quite before the end than usualy if they loose the game.

Yeah, what puts me off is the incredibly low amount of server/games running. 10 games running, with 85% of them being Space is really depressing. Lucasarts should get some companies to run dedicated servers or something, I don't know, but they need to increase the number of games.

• 4 weeks later...

I play online ALL THE TIME. I never try to let people who quit the game during the middle of it or people that join a game just to say "your clan sucks" ruin MY fun.

and about the little punks that are immature and whatnot I am in fact 13 but at least I don't say dirty things or cuss any (not trying to flame I totally agree with you about them) the Developers should install a chat filter or whatever they were called to prevent too much cussing.

Archived