Home

World Cup

jon_hill987

Apparently, Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist SOB... he deserved a good headbutt in the chest if you ask me.

There is also speculation that Materazzi said something racist. Something that Zidane is very sensitive about. And FIFA has a new rule that if there are any racist comments, Italy's title may be in jeopardy. In March, this year, FIFA has set new punishment rules for discriminatory actions regarding skin color, origin, race, language or religion. Punishments for the team include the loss of 3 points on regular championships, or complete elimination in case of playoff matches.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zidane is gonna hold a press conference today to give his side of the story.

I´m curious about what will be told tonight. Truth is that Zidane was playing below his abilities all tournament and has been known for such incidents in the past (headers, dirty tackles, ... when things weren´t going right). I´m not surprised actually.

When you are playing at the highest level all things get shouted at you so you should be above it or at least can handle it. Doings such things as Zidane did is something you don´t do. Period.

And giving him the golden ball for being best player in the tournament, it´s a disgrace. Can anybody tell me what he has shown this tournament to deserve that title besides the fact he will be retiring and was a great player?

Thats just not true. Without him France wouln't even have been in the final. The whole french team, including Zidane, was rather lackluster in the first few matches. No one thought they had a chance in the tournament.

However Zidane raised his game and bascially got them throught two or three matches by himself.

There weren't any breakout preformances this tournament, and the older greats were mostly off their game. But I can't think of anyone who deserved the golden boot (ball?) more than Zidane. Can you name someone better this tournament?

Thats just not true. Without him France wouln't even have been in the final. The whole french team, including Zidane, was rather lackluster in the first few matches. No one thought they had a chance in the tournament.

However Zidane raised his game and bascially got them throught two or three matches by himself.

Well in the first matches against the Swiss and South Korea, France was nowhere and that was with Zidane. Yet the second match they pulled trough against Ghana when Zidane was suspended. So I don´t see Zidane as vital.

There weren't any breakout preformances this tournament, and the older greats were mostly off their game. But I can't think of anyone who deserved the golden boot (ball?) more than Zidane. Can you name someone better this tournament?

Most of the expected stars had a lousy performance, that is true. However somebody other could get picked for that honor, Cannavaro for example.

He said he headbutted Materazzi because he made fun of his wife and child, but Zidane said he ignored it, then he said it 3 more times and Zidane said it was soo painful to listen to those words and that he rather have gotten punched to the face then listen to him. so therefore, Zidane headbutted him. the headbutt was a nice hit though.

Archived