Home

Best LA Adventure for Big Screen?

You're probably right. It would have to be something that appeals to the masses, because it would probably be pretty expensive.

The Dig: We've already seen people landing on an asteroid in a movie. Exploring an alien planet with no characters other than 3 astronauts and aliens: You need a great writer/director team to pull that off and make it interesting.

Monkey Island: "Hey, they ripped off POTC!"

Grim Fandango: Is there a market for rather more serious CGI movies? Granted, adults watch Nemo and Ice Age, but could you get them into a movie about a conspiracy in the land of the dead?

Day Of The Tentacle: Too weird?! Then again, the series ran for 3 (!) seasons...

Sam & Max: The animated series was good/great. Even though there were few episodes, I think a movie might work. The humor might work for both kids and adults.

I'd say Grim Fandango, definitely... though it could also work as a stop-motion type thing. Like one of Tim Burton's... and Psychonauts would also work of course).

I remember seeing some film called something de los meurtos that was in the same style as Grim Fandango and that was stop motion animated and looked good.

Grim could work depending on how real you try to make it. I think photorealistic, but still keeping the same artistic style could work as a way of saying "yes, we're CG, but we're grown up". Dreamworks Antz did this (almost, it had more adult humour than anything else and an adult theme to it of sorts, plus it was more realistic)

I think it's time for more CG animated films that aren't for children, plenty of computer games do this and the FMV sequences in them usually look stunning.

As for Sam n Max, I loved the old Cartoon series, but I don't think there's enough there for more than 10 minutes of fun because of the way the humour is structured (obviously games are different because we don't want to feel cheated and we are in control so it works better). But i could well be wrong. I think it'll be interesting to see how it's worked with with the episodic games from Telltale and if they're able to feed into a larger story arc and have the last few episodes feel right with that kind of humour then yeah, a movie could work.

"The Dig" wouldn't work, I guess... not anymore at least. There have been too many SciFi-movies lately, so it would be too hard to make this interesting. Though, who knows...

"Grim Fandango"... well, I would love to see this being realized as stop-motion by Tim Burton, along the lines of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" or "Corpse Bride", but of course without any songs in it.

"Monkey Island" would work as a mix of "Pirates of the Caribbean" and Spielberg's "Hook", but I guess "PotC" is as close a we will get.

While "Day of the Tentacle" might work as a Dreamworks movie (Pixar uses too extravagante characters to go with something simply "human"), "Sam & Max" ist just made to be a TV-show... no movie here.

Hi,

I think a grainy, black and white CG-version of Grim Fandango might do the job.

Maybe as an adult-film like Sin City, with a little more violence than the game and some hookers maybe? ;-) So that it is less cozy and more like a nightmare-version of itself.

With a look as if you'd taken one of those film noir-type movies and buried it for about 60 years, you know what I mean? ...rotten somehow.... The same look that "Pi" had.

bye

Timo

For me the best bet would be Grim Fandango. I don't think is really that "adult", it's just not for little kids.

I know it was originally inspired by Nightmare Before Christmas, but the final result was very different, having it's own atmosphere and mood. I don't think Burton would be the right Tim to direct it (although he is my favourite director). I think the Tim who created the story is fully capable of directing an animated movie, and adapting it into a script. It could work great as a Pixar movie, as they did with Brad Bird's The Incredibles.

As for a non-animated movie (or live action) I would go for Loom. I don't think the entire game story would work, but the main characters and some general ideas are very interesting. The Tchaicovski music, the swans, the magic. It could work.

The Dig movie may never happen, BUT, you should read about Spielberg's upcoming project at:

http://dig.mixnmojo.com/journal

Archived