Home

Some ideas for jk4?

Edge1982

What I want in a Jedi Knight game is more immersion, freedom, and a cinematic "movie-style" experience. This seems to be the trend in newer games and would be great for a title wtih a rich Star Wars heritage.

A revamped saber system would be nice for MP. Something that makes bunny hopping and running about wildly unneccessary and impractical. Because let's face it: most online saber fights look too much like pinanta(sp?) parties as they are now. I think the current saber system works fine for SP, but I would like to see more available saber styles (i.e. styles that are not just stronger or faster versions of each other). The game developers could use the fighting forms elaborated on by the EU. Here's a link for all you super geeks :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber_fighting

Also, more non-lightsaber attacks available while dueling. Namely kicks and throws

I agree with Tk-8252 that there needs to be more dark jedi who are actual fleshed out characters. Reborn are great, but boss enemies with distinct personalities adds more drama to the duels. Think about what made Empire's duel between Luke and Vader great. It wasn't technically as impressive as the PT fighting, but it had drama and atmosphere. Luke is confronting the man who killed his father and his mentor with his slain father's weapon. Heavy stuff.

Also, no more customizable protagonists like in JA. I think everyone would agree that customization is not desirable when it's at the expense of character development. (Especially considering the rather limited options in JA)

That reminds me, I'd really love to see the combat system to be similar to OJP's in JK4 too

As well, while reborns are fun to fight, they get boring in the long run. Saber duels need to be made unique, not something that occurs once every 10 minutes

That reminds me, I'd really love to see the combat system to be similar to OJP's in JK4 too

As well, while reborns are fun to fight, they get boring in the long run. Saber duels need to be made unique, not something that occurs once every 10 minutes

I agree with this fully.

Let's keep the Vong out of Star Wars. Period.

TK-8252, you pretty much hit upon the same idea I had, except I'd rather Jaden has just used the scepter to become real powerful, kind of like Jerec was planning to do in JK, rather than resurrecting dead Sith Lords. After how overdone the Sith/Jedi mysticism and prequel-esque stuff was in JA, I'm just interested in getting back to an old style DF/DF2 kinda game - lightsaber combat where appropriate and a good balance between the guns (it is supposed to be a First Person Shooter, after all). I've pretty much gone over most of my ideas in the stickied thread (which is probably where this whole discussion belongs ;)) but there's one thing I've never been able to settle on: the graphics. I'm a big fan of Unreal tech (mostly because the most recent version used on UT2k4 and Republic Commando actually works pretty flawlessly on my PC and it's a very versatile system) but I'm also a fan of the Half Life engine, which is also very good but not too demanding on the hardware. I'm too keen on Doom3. To me, it seems overhyped, requires too much of the latest wizardry, and isn't adaptable to older systems. That, and for some reason everything always seems like it's made out of plastic, no matter what game it's used in.

except I'd rather Jaden has just used the scepter to become real powerful, kind of like Jerec was planning to do in JK, rather than resurrecting dead Sith Lords.

That'd be great too. It's just that I'm trying to hold onto hope that the next JK game might be SOMETHING like the original (awesome) JK. Even if that means following a similar plot. :D

BTW... I've read that officially, the light-side ending for JA is what is considered canon. Damnit. >.<

Where'd you read that?

Usually, the lights side ending is what is considered canon (until someone says otherwise) because, at least from a marketing standpoint, nobody wants to play as the badguys. Personally, I don't believe this is true, otherwise we wouldn't have the option of falling to the darkside. Now, the lightside ending might be considered canon until another company comes a long and decides, when making a JK3/JA2/JK4/whatever it's called, that Jaden fell to the darkside. Considering Jaden is barely a 2-dimensional character because we know little to nothing about who he/she is (yes, including gender which is a big part of who a person is) except that he/she came from Coruscant and is very strong in the Force, I doubt the character is going to be used in any kind of fiction again, unless another JK game allows you, the player, to determine who Jaden is via a) playing the character and customizing him/her or b) answering questions throughout the game that are catalogued and recorded and then used to determine Jaden's gender and appearance, including skin color, species, clothing attributes, etc. This can only be done, however, if the darkside ending was followed. Playing as Jaden again, would really be repetitive and at the expence of a good, solid story, which I don't think anybody wants to see happen again. So, regardless of which ending is considered canon or not, the only options for another game are either an entirely new adventure of Kyle's unrelated to JA, another JA-clone, or a direct sequel involving Jaden's fall to the darkside. This is pretty much what I want but an entirely new story revolving around Kyle wouldn't be bad either, as long as it's good and a well-designed game.

Well, as this is all hypothetical i'll throw my thoughts into the ring.

Story wise, Kyle and the Jk universe is pretty much played out. You could keep on adding stuff to the end, but it gets silly as the remnant has been crushed so many times, the vong are stupid, kyle can't keep forgetting and relearning skills, and after the stupid romance with Jan i don't care much anyway.

Get a new character. Set it between the prequels and the OT. That way you have a clean slate, you have a time period that hasn't been all played out and that has the potential for a lot more jedi and imperial involvement.

I don't read the novels (except the Zahn ones) as they tend to suck, so i don't know if there are any existing characters/events for that period that might work well. but in general i think its best to create a new fiction for the games, not have fanboys complaining that you messed up the continuity of Mara or something.

JK/KOTOR style choosing dark or light side is essential. It was dumbed down in JO and JA and both games suffered because of it. Don't dumb it down from JK, boost it up towards KOTOR!

A decent mix between guns, force and sabers is essential. JO/JA strayed too much to being a 3rd person saber-only game and became quickly repetetive because of it.

Personal preference, but i thought the prequels made sabers too powerful... with all the flippy saber-fu. they were better balanced in the OT when they were more like samurai swords. In JO you never felt any threat from the stormies and could just plow through unlimited numbers of them. Also in JO the saber weilding foes were too common. Make them rarer, a bit like JK, so the saber battles are more impressive and unique.

Make the game like Deus Ex 1. Give the player a blank slate character and let them add points to their saber skill, their pistol skill, their rifle skill, their force skill, their weapon mod skill, their speed, their toughness, their persuasion, their computer skill, or whatever combination of the above they want. People want to make a han solo character with super modded weapons and very little jedi skills? Let them. People want to make a balanced character with a saber in one hand and a pistol in the other? Let them. People want their full-on jedi with no guns? let them.

Make the level designs more like JK and Deus Ex. JK had probably the best environmetal puzzles of any FPS ever. Deus Ex had the best "do it your way" levels of any game. Combine them. Let people complete the level by:

- blasting their way through

- talking their way through

- solving the puzzles

- using force jump and stealth to find a secret way through

or any combination of the above.

JO and JA had everything we thought we wanted (pick a face, pick a saber, etc..) and it all turned out to be pointless windowdressing. Make a good, branching plot and i don't care if i can't choose my saber hilt or name!! (was there ever a point in picking saber hilts? what a waste of dev time)

As for multiplayer, i never played it much, but i can't see a JK game ever rivalling the big boys at multiplayer popularity. If you had the above RPG system then you could at least try to balance it, giving different points to different abilities and weapons.

Again, personal preference, but i'd like them to slow down the saber and shooting elemets and make it less twitchy and more tactical. Stamina bars to stop too much running and jumping or something. Make it more like BF2 in pace, rather than Quake3. And dump the saber styles.

So how would I tie that all together? Make the player a new, unknown character in the imperial/republic navy. Have them start to discover force powers. Have them become involved in the actions of vader hunting down the last remaining jedi. Have them have to make choices about which side to support and which path to take. Maybe have Vader try to take them under his wing as an apprentice to help him overthrow the emperor.. or they could choose to side with a fleeing jedi vader was hunting. Link it to JK/JO by having them encounter young kyle (in the naval academy?), young jan, Rhan or Jerec or one of Jerec's disciples, maybe even Mara Jade.

Well, thats what I'd do. I don't expect to see a JK or even JO type game anytime soon. Though I did think they'd bring out more games in the "between trilogy" space. Right now they seem to be concentrating on console games, which feel more lightweight somehow. Even JO and JA kind of felt more like console games than proper FPS games.

i think jk4/jk3 you should be jaden it has two slections lS DS different levels for the sides story line good features good then they should do a expashion pack of the same time but your kyle looking for jaden

Well I guess It would make sense to be Kyle and maybe Jaden could lead the attack on Corusant (Or was that Yuuzhan Vong?) If im wrong. They could have Ysanne Isard which would be cool. but in the End you would Fight Ragnos fully ressurected then fight Jaden and leave him alive and tell him about look what you have done to the Jedi bla bla bla you get the Picture.

Archived