Home

Handmaiden AND Disciple as party members, regardless of PC gender

jbroman

This was touched on in an older post, but I have a specific question- Is it possible to get Disciple AND Handmaiden in the party at the same time by replacing another party member (most preferably GO-TO)? Example- Male PC recruits Handmaiden as normal, and later recruits Disciple who completely replaces GO-TO, party selection portrait and all.

I guess what I'm really asking is can you get rid of the male/female conditionals and write one party member over another. If you need me to be clearer, just ask. Also, if the answer is "no" please explain with noob-friendly language. Thanks a lot.

Is it possible to get Disciple AND Handmaiden in the party at the same time by replacing another party member (most preferably GO-TO)? Example- Male PC recruits Handmaiden as normal, and later recruits Disciple who completely replaces GO-TO, party selection portrait and all.

I guess what I'm really asking is can you get rid of the male/female conditionals and write one party member over another. If you need me to be clearer, just ask. Also, if the answer is "no" please explain with noob-friendly language. Thanks a lot.

As standard you can't have them both since the game automatically hides the Handmaiden's portrait on the party selection screen whenever the Disciple's party slot is occupied, making it hard to add her to the active party (even if they both technically still are in your group).

It is entirely possible to make Disciple occupy another slot. But a lot of work since you'd need to "redirect" all the cutscenes and interjections where the Disciple participates into using G0T0s party table slot instead, and eliminate all cutscenes/interjections involving party-G0T0 from the game, and modify the scene after its yacht is blown up so it won't join the party.

A good start would be to make a list of all the scenes and dialogs both characters can take part in, for both the Lightside and Darkside path (which kind of disqualified me from making it since I never play darkside characters). After that it's only a matter of the grunt work of modifying a bunch of dialogs and scripts in a way that won't break something else in the process. :)

So you CAN get rid of GO-TO?? Great! (I never liked him, and I don't see what he adds to the plot seeing as how there's no droid planet; I don't think he's party-worthy) Could you also make one of the "GOTO guard droids" actually GOTO, so you can fight and kill him- like a boss (with high stats and all that)? His story was somewhat interesting, that dialogue could be kept when Exile speaks to him in the audience chamber- and then GOTO gets all mad and tries to eliminate Exile and co.

-I'm making it up as I go along, but thanks for giving me the low-down. When I get a lot of free time, and I up my modding IQ (I'm a complete noob), I would like to try it- if no one else beats me to it.

hmmm, this may work- though I wonder if it allows you to follow the dialogues when recruiting Disciple and handmaiden. I'll just have to try it out and see. Hopefully another mod will allow for the killing of GOTO on the yacht. Thanks for the info.

As far as I understand it the console armband will just let you add party members, it will not modify the game to make them function normally in a configuration other than what the default game intended for them.

And in this case adding the party member is the small part of the "problem". It's making them keep their role in the game intact while moved to another slot that's a bit of grunt work to do.

So, let me summarize so far:

It IS possible to replace GOTO with another party member;

It IS posible to recruit Handmaiden and disicple as normal (independent of gender), but it is very difficult to do;

It IS possible to have all the normal interactions with both characters- but very difficult;

It IS possible to delete all of GOTO's parts- but tedious.

That is what I gather from the coversation so far (am I right ?) So is it possible to have a fight sequence with GOTO on the yacht? If so, how difficult would that be?

(Also, can all of the above be realistically done in one mod? )

It IS posible to recruit Handmaiden and disicple as normal (independent of gender), but it is very difficult to do;

It IS possible to have all the normal interactions with both characters- but very difficult;

That is what I gather from the coversation so far (am I right ?) So is it possible to have a fight sequence with GOTO on the yacht? If so, how difficult would that be?

(Also, can all of the above be realistically done in one mod? )

Not particularily difficult as I would see it, just lots of time-consuming grunt work to find all the affected places in the game and adjust scripts and dialogs to use G0T0's party slot instead of Disciple's whenever references or checks to the party table are made.

As for making it into a mod, how hard that would be depends on how much of the resources are module specific, and how much of those resources use ambiguous ResRefs. If there are a lot of resref naming conflicts you probably would have to modify the Modules instead of putting files into the override folder.

The first step for making such a mod would be to play through the game twice, once as Lightside and once as Darkside, having Disciple and G0T0 in the party at all times to find all the spots where they have interactions, cutscenes and interjections, and make a list of those occurences. This is probably the most time consuming part of making such a mod. :)

I see. Thanks for your insight, and for noob-ifying it for me. MY first step, however, is to learn to mod- and clear my schedule for the next year or so.. I think handmaiden and disciple are far more interesting but maybe it's not worth all that work, we'll see, I guess..

As standard you can't have them both since the game automatically hides the Handmaiden's portrait on the party selection screen whenever the Disciple's party slot is occupied, making it hard to add her to the active party (even if they both technically still are in your group).

It is entirely possible to make Disciple occupy another slot. But a lot of work since you'd need to "redirect" all the cutscenes and interjections where the Disciple participates into using G0T0s party table slot instead, and eliminate all cutscenes/interjections involving party-G0T0 from the game, and modify the scene after its yacht is blown up so it won't join the party.

A good start would be to make a list of all the scenes and dialogs both characters can take part in, for both the Lightside and Darkside path (which kind of disqualified me from making it since I never play darkside characters). After that it's only a matter of the grunt work of modifying a bunch of dialogs and scripts in a way that won't break something else in the process. :)

Sounds like you know what to do there, Stoffe. I'm telling you if you were to make this mod and apply it to both the males and the female PC's, it would be a very popular mod.

I actually logged on to start this exact thread...

THis is a mod that really should be considered by the bigtime modders around here... would make alot of people happy... As for me, I rarely play as a female, so being able to recruit Disciple as a male yet not be gay would be sweet...

you can edit gotos appearance so he looks and sound like disciple using the KSE! it worked for me!

They were talking about mod, not cheats! It is as easy to do with KT as with KSE. By utc editing of this p_g0t0.utc. Appearance is in appearance, sounds are in sound sets.

he never said about as mod, he just said he wants to have disciple and handmaiden at the same place!

Yes he did. He is making a mod, possibly for release to add Brianna and Mical back into the game -- with both their storylines and soundsets intact. What you have suggested would still have G0-T0's soundset and storyline with Mical's appearance. This is not a good solution. KSE is not the solution. While it is good for testing and fun and cheats and fixes and many other things, it's not good to actually mod with.

_EW_

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's a related topic, and I'm far from a complete mod, I just thought I'd post that I have coded up a small mod which allows Disciple to take over either G0-T0 or HK-47's slots by using a datapad.

This mod works by using the puppet table, so you can swap Disciple in and out of the other two slots at virtually any time.

So far, I've got that working; and have recently completed coding such that while on the Ebon Hawk, Disciple is actually in his own NPC slot. This allows his cut scenes to activate and you can talk to him along with all the other NPC's. Handmaiden's equip screen remains available even though Disciple's portrait appears onthe party selection screen before you go to leave.

As you leave the Ebon Hawk, he's shunted back into 'extra recruit' mode so Handmaiden is selectable at the auto-activated party selection screen.

I've also added in some code such that Disciple will automatically fill in for HK-47 or G0-T0 if they're not yet part of the normal party. So, if one of them isn't avialable yet, both Discilpe and Handmaiden can be selected at the automatic selection screen.

If anyone is interested in the PC Slot / Puppet Slot swapping I can either post or PM snippets of code.

Thing on my 'To Do' list for this...

Short Term - use globals and the 'Party Roster' datapad/conversation to better control preferred party make up. I.E. G0-T0's joined and you've fixed HK-47, but you want Disciple to always auto-fill their NPC slot when leaving the Hawk.

Note: The puppet method of control can also allow Mira and Hanharr to both be available; but I feel the backstory between them precludes their working together.

• 9 years later...
Since it's a related topic, and I'm far from a complete mod, I just thought I'd post that I have coded up a small mod which allows Disciple to take over either G0-T0 or HK-47's slots by using a datapad.

This mod works by using the puppet table, so you can swap Disciple in and out of the other two slots at virtually any time.

So far, I've got that working; and have recently completed coding such that while on the Ebon Hawk, Disciple is actually in his own NPC slot. This allows his cut scenes to activate and you can talk to him along with all the other NPC's. Handmaiden's equip screen remains available even though Disciple's portrait appears onthe party selection screen before you go to leave.

As you leave the Ebon Hawk, he's shunted back into 'extra recruit' mode so Handmaiden is selectable at the auto-activated party selection screen.

I've also added in some code such that Disciple will automatically fill in for HK-47 or G0-T0 if they're not yet part of the normal party. So, if one of them isn't avialable yet, both Discilpe and Handmaiden can be selected at the automatic selection screen.

If anyone is interested in the PC Slot / Puppet Slot swapping I can either post or PM snippets of code.

Thing on my 'To Do' list for this...

Short Term - use globals and the 'Party Roster' datapad/conversation to better control preferred party make up. I.E. G0-T0's joined and you've fixed HK-47, but you want Disciple to always auto-fill their NPC slot when leaving the Hawk.

Note: The puppet method of control can also allow Mira and Hanharr to both be available; but I feel the backstory between them precludes their working together.

Well well well, it's been a while. I'm quite sure that whatever version you used for that mod is not the current one, and it's likely you no longer have the information you coded, but by Kreia, it would be a joy if you were still alive, and able to update me on how this project went, and perhaps give me these resources, as I desire for this to work as well. Thanks lots.

Archived