Home

Crazy Projectiles??

Fetid Corpse

I think that while some of them are canon--such as the old Clone Wars-era destroyer droids and the StarViper fighters--the Underworld will have access to many ships that are Petroglyph born and bred. Fine by me; I'm happy to give these developers free reign and lots of creative license!

I don't know about the projectiles, but given that it's only the Underworld using them, I am willing to bet that it's highly experimental, unstable black-market technology and that's why we don't see it being used by the Empire or Rebellion.

i really dont understand this "canon" thing is a galaxy with millions of planets cant u just use your imagination?

No you can't use your imagination. You simply can't call it Star Wars anymore if you throw the movies right into the bin. Apart from that, there is a huge EU out there (just so you know, Kyle and Mara are NOT canon). Part of that EU is used frequently and it would be wierd to make stuff up for something that's already there. Lucky though you can edit the files easily and fix the game to fit in with the others, however petro should have done it right in the first place. Somehow I expect a screw up.

Seeing how the galaxy is frickin' huge, it would only seem plausable that there would be some strange weaponary every once in a while.
:rolleyes:

Besides, what's so bad if a game throws new stuff in that doesn't make it seem ridiculous? If we stayed with the same old stuff, we would never get anything new coming from the Star Wars universe.

I think he means "CANNON" as in Big Guns.

Yes, it might be older technology, like those in the clone wars, but as long as it works...

I mean, a bow and arrow is ancient tech, but if you shoot someone with an arrow he can still die, and won't be immune to it since its ancient tech. BTW, Imp units takes extra damage from ancient tech as we know it, Too bad you can't have entire units of Rebels throwing stones.

No you can't use your imagination. You simply can't call it Star Wars anymore if you throw the movies right into the bin. Apart from that, there is a huge EU out there (just so you know, Kyle and Mara are NOT canon). Part of that EU is used frequently and it would be wierd to make stuff up for something that's already there. Lucky though you can edit the files easily and fix the game to fit in with the others, however petro should have done it right in the first place. Somehow I expect a screw up.

The problem here is that there are several different definitions of 'canon' with respect to the Star Wars universe--some consider only the movies canon, some consider the movies and their novelizations canon, some consider the movies and EU books (but not computer games) canon, some consider anything in the StarWars.com Databank canon. Kyle and Mara are canon by some of those definitions, but not others. Mara Jade, in particular, is exactly one of those people about whom "it would be wierd to make stuff up for something that's already there" because of the degree to which she's been established in the Star Wars universe.

There really isn't any way that Empire at War "doesn't fit" in with "the others." I presume you're still thinking of the Tartan Cruiser-versus-Lancer frigate debate, which is basically a useless argument: 'canon' says that the Lancer was developed by the Empire at a later point in the timeline than the Tartan Patrol Cruiser was. The Lancer is, essentially, the more advanced model. But in the end: it doesn't matter in the slightest. The game isn't any less fun, and in some respects, the game actually plays much better now than if everything had been totally 'canon.' People make stuff up in the Star Wars universe all the time--where do you think all that EU material came from in the first place? Honestly, it's totally fine for Petrogylph to invent never-before-seen weaponry that doesn't quite seem to act like blasters and lightsabers or never-before-seen ships that don't look like Imperial Star Destroyers and Rebel Blockade Runners. For a more 'canon' example of that very thing, go read Truce at Bakura, the Thrawn trilogy, the Jedi Academy trilogy, the Dark Nest trilogy, the Corellian trilogy, the Han Solo adventures, or any of the New Jedi Order novels.

The projectile you see is Plasma based. Technically it is Imperial technology that Tyber managed to obtain from some shady sources. The Vengeance Frigate uses Mass Driver technology, projectiles that fire at super velocity speeds and bypass enemy shielding. The best technology money can buy.

On a separate note, Tyber is huge client of MandalMotors. Expect to see some very awesome and powerful technology from that group.

Also, expect their space station to be equipped with some heavy hitting weaponry like Diamond Borron missiles and a space based super weapon.

Don’t worry, all their weapons of war will have weakness, they'll just be different than what you’re used too.

The problem here is that there are several different definitions of 'canon' with respect to the Star Wars universe--some consider only the movies canon, some consider the movies and their novelizations canon, some consider the movies and EU books (but not computer games) canon, some consider anything in the StarWars.com Databank canon. Kyle and Mara are canon by some of those definitions, but not others. Mara Jade, in particular, is exactly one of those people about whom "it would be wierd to make stuff up for something that's already there" because of the degree to which she's been established in the Star Wars universe.

There really isn't any way that Empire at War "doesn't fit" in with "the others." I presume you're still thinking of the Tartan Cruiser-versus-Lancer frigate debate, which is basically a useless argument: 'canon' says that the Lancer was developed by the Empire at a later point in the timeline than the Tartan Patrol Cruiser was. The Lancer is, essentially, the more advanced model. But in the end: it doesn't matter in the slightest. The game isn't any less fun, and in some respects, the game actually plays much better now than if everything had been totally 'canon.' People make stuff up in the Star Wars universe all the time--where do you think all that EU material came from in the first place? Honestly, it's totally fine for Petrogylph to invent never-before-seen weaponry that doesn't quite seem to act like blasters and lightsabers or never-before-seen ships that don't look like Imperial Star Destroyers and Rebel Blockade Runners. For a more 'canon' example of that very thing, go read Truce at Bakura, the Thrawn trilogy, the Jedi Academy trilogy, the Dark Nest trilogy, the Corellian trilogy, the Han Solo adventures, or any of the New Jedi Order novels.

Actually, I was talking about the corvette and the gunship. The corvette has far too many weapons, it should have 2 turrets, that have a 360 deg firing arc. The gunship should have the weaponry the current in-game corvette has. It should not have missiles (why call it a gunship if it's main weapons are missiles). The Marauder Corvette should also be rearmed. I'm not sure what it was, but I though it had Turbolasers.

Furthermore, the proton torpedoes should be blue and the concussion missiles should be orange (like the torpedoes are now). None of them should penetrate the shields, but simply cause massive damage. I would also like to see the firing rate depend on the normal payload a ship has. So that X-wings and Y-wings both have proton torps, but Y-Wings can fire them much faster.

The Marauder Corvette was a fast and maneuverable ship, just a bit bigger than a corvette. It carried 8 double turbolasers, three tractor beams, and a squadron of fighters. Pretty much a pocket cruiser, as it doesnt pack enough punch to take on larger ships, but is great at patroling large/small areas.

Regardless of the specific example you had in mind...

But in the end: it doesn't matter in the slightest. The game isn't any less fun, and in some respects, the game actually plays much better now than if everything had been totally 'canon.'

And for the record, the proton torpedoes seen in Star Wars (Episode IV/A New Hope) were pink. You can nitpick this and you can nitpick this some more, but in the end, what's canon and what's not is neither consistent nor important for this game.

Actually, I was talking about the corvette and the gunship. The corvette has far too many weapons, it should have 2 turrets, that have a 360 deg firing arc. The gunship should have the weaponry the current in-game corvette has. It should not have missiles (why call it a gunship if it's main weapons are missiles). The Marauder Corvette should also be rearmed. I'm not sure what it was, but I though it had Turbolasers.

Furthermore, the proton torpedoes should be blue and the concussion missiles should be orange (like the torpedoes are now). None of them should penetrate the shields, but simply cause massive damage. I would also like to see the firing rate depend on the normal payload a ship has. So that X-wings and Y-wings both have proton torps, but Y-Wings can fire them much faster.

well i agree with the gunship point, something must be made with this, corvette and gunships need to get rearrenged its fire power.

and about the torps and the shields, i dissagree with that, at least in the empire era the shields are designed to counter energy weapons, with that missiles are out, think the only game where it was different is in Battlefront series.

and about the torps and the shields, i dissagree with that, at least in the empire era the shields are designed to counter energy weapons, with that missiles are out, think the only game where it was different is in Battlefront series.

Well, yes and no. You could destroy the shield generators (and you could strip their weapons)even with full shields. However you could destroy those with both lasers and warheads. You could not damage the hull when the shields were still there, no matter what you used both lasers and torps were blocked.

BTW I double checked the torps and they are definetly blue (even looked at a picture straight from EP IV on sw.com)

but we cant deny, we will miss the AtPts

Nope can't deny that. Very sad they're left out again.

And with these new pirate weapons I assume the Empire still has the best weapons. Seeing as the Empire is the supreme of military power it would be strange if somebody else had a more powerfull gun. I mean after all the Empire is like the Sovjets in RA or GDI in C&C while the rebels and now also the pirates are like the Allies in RA and Nod in C&C. Please note that I mean unit wise, not ideology wise.

Archived