Home

I think Nintendo is getting tired of all the pee jokes

TiE23

Wii no more?

wiiseethru.png

We have received over 200,000 e-mails with complaints about the Wii, and the console name has been commonly associated with urine. We have been the target of many jokes, and we strongly believe that it’s a bad thing for the company’s reputation.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/wii-no-more

Heh, I think they're getting the message.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They need to stick to their guns. If people are so stupid as to not choose a gaming system just because they don't like the name, screw 'em.

Yeah, screw me. Actually, that's the only reason I had considered not getting one. The name sucks. I'd feel like a jackass just asking for the games. Revolution was fine, and not half as homoerotic.

You've got to admit, naming it Wii was a pretty dumb idea. More people would associate Wii with "wee" instead of "we" because of the nature of the word "we".

But cracking jokes with the name is on the level of Uranus jokes.

If anyone thinks that this means there's a possibility of changing it, they won't. The things you will learn about Wii is the price and release date which will be announced some time before September. And of course we can't forget the official launch list. So no, there will be no name change seeing as it's meant to be released in October/November.

it is also a meaningless and dumb name.

Kind of like every other meaningless and dumb name developers have come up with for random **** that people buy their kids?

I support the movement.

The movement? You make it sound like you're overthrowing some evil oppressor. "STOP NINTENDO, THEY NAMED A CONSOLE SIMILIAR TO A STUPID CHILDISH TERM FOR PISS! WE GOTTA STOP THEM NOW BEFORE THEY BOMB THE **** OUT OF US ALL!"

Sithy, calm down. No need for caps to get your sarcasm out.

But I think it was a very strange name for a console. "We" has never really been associated with community and not at all entertainment or fun. It's just one of our words.

But then go and sloganize it; misspell it and write it phonetically to give it some coolness. So then you have a cool version of a non-cool/neutral word that people say everyday without even thinking about it.

It's really pointless, confusing, and sounds weird (as in the bad kind of weird).

But I don't care if they change it or not, but I've decided that "The Revolution" sounded cooler.

I liked the name "We". As for changing it to "Wii", bad idea. Not to mention that if they hadn't done it, there would've been no jokes, either.

Using a word like "We" is creative, and doesn't sound too bad. I actually like it.

Oh, and this is nothing compared to the Honda Fitta mistake:).

Car maker Honda introduced their new car "Fitta" in the Nordic countries during 2001, only to find out that "fitta" is an old word, currently used in vulgar language to refer to a woman's genitals in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. It was renamed to "Honda Jazz" for the Nordic market.

According to newspaper articles, Japanese ads said that "[Fitta] is small on the outside, but large on the inside". It's now called the Honda Fit in Japanese markets.

The movement? You make it sound like you're overthrowing some evil oppressor. "STOP NINTENDO, THEY NAMED A CONSOLE SIMILIAR TO A STUPID CHILDISH TERM FOR PISS! WE GOTTA STOP THEM NOW BEFORE THEY BOMB THE **** OUT OF US ALL!"

That was my first thought to his statement as well :|

I don't care anymore. Nintendo, please, hurry up and give me your Wii.

Wii has heavily researched and found that in most cultures the sound of the word had a positive sound. Nintendo knew that there would be westerners out there who wouldn't like the name so they announced it a couple of weeks before E3. Nintendo knew that pretty much all of those complaints would come from existing gamers. It wasn't any mistake, Nintendo obviously knew what they were getting themselves into since they seemed to take very interesting steps to announce the name BEFORE E3 rather than during.

Might as well get over it, I mean it's not like there are gonna be crowds of people not buying MGS4 cause Snake is old and has a moustache.

Archived