Home

I think Nintendo is getting tired of all the pee jokes

TiE23

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What, are they actually surprised at the media back lash? Here is a thought, don't change the rules in the middle of a ball game if you want to keep the fans happy. Serves them right,....wieners...:rolleyes:

Note:

At the time of this post, I am pretty much set on getting one, but I am all over the name hating band wagon. Sue me.

@ Groov and everyone else who thinks along the lines that Nintendo is surprised by the backlash:

Honestly guys, read what I write here. Nintendo expected gamers to hate the name at first, that's exactly the reason why they decided to announce a couple of weeks before E3 so it wouldn't interfere with the show and what they were trying to show people. This one guy who seems surprised is pretty much a nobody inside the ranks. And don't forget, who can prove that this is actually TRUE that this person said this? I'm sure Nintendo did recieve quite a lot of emails complaining about the name when it was initially announced, but like I've said, the majority have gotten over the initial shock.

And what media backlash? The guys at G4TV? AHAHAH XD come on, you know no one takes those morons seriously. Pretty much everyone in the media has gotten over it, they just want to see what kind of games are gonna be released for the system and how far Nintendo's efforts into shaping a new way of playing games will go.

Another thing, don't change the rules in the middle of a ball game, fans don't want that? Well the Wiimote changes the rules considerably, so I guess what you're trying to say is that Nintendo should make a system that's exactly like the PS3 and Xbox360? I know that's not what you meant but I'm just trying to point out that you don't just do what the fans want you to do, not all the time anywayz. Otherwise you wouldn't get something like Nintendo trying to change the way we play videogames. I don't see much media backlash when it comes to Wii, the name is strange, the concept is very out there compared to what Microsoft and even Sony with their halfassed attempt have.

As for the kiddie reputation, I guess this is a way for Nintendo to get rid of it. When you think about it you realise that only those with a childish behavious towards the name really hate it that much and would make piss jokes about it every few seconds. So I guess the kids will denounce Nintendo and the rest of us can go on playing the games. And like I said, it does sound strange at first, but if things go according to plan for Nintendo, the machine will make the name remembered for initiating a turning point for videogames.

Might as well get over it, I mean it's not like there are gonna be crowds of people not buying MGS4 cause Snake is old and has a moustache.

I'm pretty sure some people died a little inside with the Raiden thing. :p

@ Groov and everyone else who thinks along the lines that Nintendo is surprised by the backlash:

Honestly guys, read what I write here. Nintendo expected gamers to hate the name at first, that's exactly the reason why they decided to announce a couple of weeks before E3 so it wouldn't interfere with the show and what they were trying to show people. This one guy who seems surprised is pretty much a nobody inside the ranks. And don't forget, who can prove that this is actually TRUE that this person said this? I'm sure Nintendo did recieve quite a lot of emails complaining about the name when it was initially announced, but like I've said, the majority have gotten over the initial shock.

And what media backlash? The guys at G4TV? AHAHAH XD come on, you know no one takes those morons seriously. Pretty much everyone in the media has gotten over it, they just want to see what kind of games are gonna be released for the system and how far Nintendo's efforts into shaping a new way of playing games will go.

Another thing, don't change the rules in the middle of a ball game, fans don't want that? Well the Wiimote changes the rules considerably, so I guess what you're trying to say is that Nintendo should make a system that's exactly like the PS3 and Xbox360? I know that's not what you meant but I'm just trying to point out that you don't just do what the fans want you to do, not all the time anywayz. Otherwise you wouldn't get something like Nintendo trying to change the way we play videogames. I don't see much media backlash when it comes to Wii, the name is strange, the concept is very out there compared to what Microsoft and even Sony with their halfassed attempt have.

As for the kiddie reputation, I guess this is a way for Nintendo to get rid of it. When you think about it you realise that only those with a childish behavious towards the name really hate it that much and would make piss jokes about it every few seconds. So I guess the kids will denounce Nintendo and the rest of us can go on playing the games. And like I said, it does sound strange at first, but if things go according to plan for Nintendo, the machine will make the name remembered for initiating a turning point for videogames.

Right, well first of all, this novella comes from the biggest Nintendo fanboy on the planet, so I take every word...nay, every syllable with a half a grain of salt.

For your first point: I hope you don't consider me among those who think Nintendo are "suprised by the backlash", because I honestly don't know how they could possibly be suprised. They **** up all the time, so why would this one come as a suprise? Also, I don't CARE what the majority of gamers have concluded. I don't ****ing like the name. Nobody does. Even those who have "gotten over it" must have had something to get over in the first place, so I'm not alone, not that I'd care if I was. The name is ****. I don't give two ****s what the "majority" says on the matter.

As for media media backlash, see what I think about that in the paragraph just above this.

As for the "Wiimote" or whatever, I hope to hell if I ever do own a machine named as gayly as the Wii, that I'm NEVER required to use such a contraption. If I wanted to practice fencing or just flat out flailing my arms about, I'd do that or take up boxing. Piss on that thing. And even if I did like the idea of the "Wiimote", it would do little to take away from the fact that Wii is a **** name. Nobody here mentioned that they'd like it to be like Xbox 360, or PS3. They said they don't like the name Wii. You just assume that if someone dislikes something about Nintendo, that they must love one of the two mentioned above. Foul, I say. Foul. Everyone here so far has said the equivalant to "the Wii will be great, stupid name." You seem to be the only one here that has bashed a sytem yet. I know, you can't help yourself. I don't fault you. Jesus tells me to love you, even.

For your final point, you say that since I don't like the name Wii, I must be a child. Or a "kid". I've not made one single solitary "piss joke" about the name. Ever. So I don't know if I'm still included in your blanket statement or not. I intend to continue playing games though, and would like it if Nintendo werent ran by retards, and would take me along for the ride. But I think I'll stop short at buying systems called The Throbbing Dong, Wii, or any other such nonsense, thank you very much.

Well first I'll start off by saying that I'm not the biggest Nintendo fanboy on the planet, before the DS was announced I was about to move on from Nintendo, plus I love Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc, etc, yada, yada... If I was the biggest Nintendo fanboy on the planet I wouldn't touch any other system, but I'm sure you will be shocked to learn that I have played a PS1 and 2, Xbox and Xbox360 and a PSP, as well as past generation consoles not made by Nintendo.

The reason I speak up about Nintendo is that you hardly see anyone talking bulls*** about other companies and games. But wait, didn't I just defend Sony in a PS3 thread recently? Yes I did, I said that the PS3 will be VERY worth it once the price comes down. I've said that I'm excited about Metal Gear Solid 4 and can't wait to see what Capcom does with Resident Evil 5.

I never said anything about your opinion not mattering, I was simply pointing out that the facts that were mentioned seemed to be pulled out of thin air. Also you're coming to conclusions, I was trying to say that what the machine can do will give the name a stronger meaning than just annotating it to piss.

This all seems like a case of assuming what I'm assuming. Howabout you stop assuming and ask me what I meant if I am not making things clear enough. For the record I never said that if someone doesn't like Nintendo then they must like Sony and/or Microsoft. The reason I mentioned the other two is the fact that they are the two other major players in the videogame industry. You can't really talk about Nintendo without mentioning their competitors to say why they are doing what they are doing, same goes for if you're talking about Sony or Microsoft.

And I'm the only one who has bashed a system yet? Is it me or do are you really being selective about what you choose to notice around these forums. I'm pretty sure there was a PS3 bashing thread here in The Swamp not long ago that wasn't started by me. And haven't I already said "the Wii will be great, stupid name,"? I thought I did, I'm rereading what I've written and I've said clearly that I didn't like that name at first but got over the fact that it sounded stupid and focused on what kind of gaming I would get from it.

I'm not trying to crush peoples opinions or attack them. Nor was I attacking you or anyone here personally, calling you children. But step back and think about it for a moment, do you consider namecalling to be childish? Yes or no? A simple question, not relating to anything gaming. If you answer yes, then you're one step to understanding why I said what I said, and to clarify yet again, I was not directing it or you or anyone else here, I was trying to be general about it.

*sighs*

Another thing, don't change the rules in the middle of a ball game, fans don't want that?

I'm talking about the blatent name change of the system itself, not the functionality. About 6 months ago, fans were perfectly happy with the "Nintendo Revolution".

If you don't want 200+ nasty e-mails, then don't call the damn thing a freaking Nintendo "Wii"...

Yeah I know, I added the line... "I know that's not what you meant but I'm just trying to point out that you don't just do what the fans want you to do, not all the time anywayz." And as I said, the guy who supposedly made the comment is some unknown guy inside the marketting department, not one of heads who actually run Nintendo, just a grunt. And that's even if it's true that he made the comment in the first place. The source of this lil piece of news is a place called "Games for Wii" (source) and is nothing more than a rumour that someone who knows someone working for Nintendo supposedly said this.

While I'm sure the massive amounts of emails that Nintendo got from people who complained is very true since I sent one and many people who I know had sent one when they first heard the name, other than this baseless rumour, there is no way to prove that Nintendo is actually whining about this. From all of the ACTUAL interviews I've read and watched, the Nintendo reps, the people who are actuall in charge, have said that they expected this level of negative feedback but are confident that the system will give credit to the name once everyone gets their hands on it.

NOW. Just so I don't get another CapN response... If there is anything in this post that offends you, sorry, but if you ask me nicely maybe I can clarify what I was trying to say.

Wow there, folks, stop calming things up X] It's just some stupid computer thinger.

And seriously, as the more-average-ignorant-not-inscene-not-really-the-ill-type-gamer guy, who has also at least *some* skills in giving a **** about poo-netic 'wee' analogies, I say Wii > Revolution. :dozey:

Calling it Wii is at least as "revolutionary" as calling it plain and stupid "Revolution" to express it's innovative nature, it's more catchy and it actually says "we" as in "community" or maybe "Wheeeeeee!!" as in the typical Lynkostiosus post. I mean, at least, if not put in a fun context. Plus I fail to see difficulties in finding "discreditive" or fun names for PS and the like.

Also, Wii comes with a far more symbolic character, having to is additionally underlining the fun-with-the-community-thing (read: group sex :p)

And finally, it's really not like it's name has phonetic similarities to The Throbbing Dong XDD

[edit]

Oh, and c'mon, "Nintendo GameZone", "Nintendo FutureNation" and "Nintendo GlobalBOX"?!??

Also, Wii comes with a far more symbolic character, having to is additionally underlining the fun-with-the-community-thing (read: group sex :p)
Which is not for children:p.

Calling it Wii is at least as "revolutionary" as calling it plain and stupid "Revolution" to express it's innovative nature

Exactly. It's creative, Goddamn it! I'm tired of games, consoles, cars, and whatnot looking exactly the same, being named the same things, and featuring the same aspects. I could go on and on.

"Wii"? Exotic, creative, fast (I think of fast games when I hear it, anyway:p), and almost a bit mysterious.

I used to be in the "What were they thinking I hate that name" camp for quite a while. My friends and I all had some pretty good laughs at just how stupid it was, and I bitched and moaned about it not being the revolution anymore.

I thought, Why not keep it as the revolution, because that's what the console is, a revolution.

But calling it the revolution is sort of a copout. Honestly, they don't need to TELL us that it's a revolution, we can tell just by LOOKING at it. So give it a unique name, something that'll make it stand out even MORE from the pack.

Sony and Microsoft are continuing common gaming tradition. Their systems are the same as the prior generation, just with updated technology and some new numbers added to the names.

Nintendo has gone completely off of the beaten path. They've got a new machine with a completely unique name. Revolution is already a word, but Wii? That's something as outside the box as the console itself.

man i would buy the console BECAUSE it was called a "Wii" hahahhaha

no seriously they should stick it out.

this is gonna be one kick ass console. i don't have a problem with any of the nintendo consoles, i mean i have been playing N64 today. ITS STILL GOOD!

To be perfectly honest, I hated the name "Dreamcast" when I first heard it, but now I love it cause of what the Dreamcast was, it was one hell of a good console that really should've "won" this generation if was allowed to continue and didn't have those flaws that allowed such easy piracy XD

Kind of like every other meaningless and dumb name developers have come up with for random **** that people buy their kids?

The movement? You make it sound like you're overthrowing some evil oppressor. "STOP NINTENDO, THEY NAMED A CONSOLE SIMILIAR TO A STUPID CHILDISH TERM FOR PISS! WE GOTTA STOP THEM NOW BEFORE THEY BOMB THE **** OUT OF US ALL!"

1. Yeah, and we all have to live with it, so might as well start hating some.

2. It was a heavily sarcastic comment. I pepper sarcasm in my posts. The point was - the very stupidity of Nintendo getting concerned over stupid jokes on their stupid consoles, and then people getting interested over that.

Well, the whole "wii" and "wee" things have been gone over to death. I'd be surprised if they changed it now (though they probably could, as they've got the publicity, and changing it again would just get them more). I still think its daft, but it wont stop me getting one if its good. One of those emails is mine btw.. :shrugs:

The thng i don't get is that when I see "Wii" I want to pronounce it WHY. Am i the only one?

When i first saw the announcement I thought it was supposed to be pronounced WHY.. and thought that actually made some sense as it lent itself to the whole Wi-Fi concept... wireless hub for DSs, wireless controller. They whole concept of wi-fi is quite popular now with signs advertising it at every cafe and station.

Also they could spin it as asking a question. "Why?"

You could imagine tag lines like "Wii not play for real?" or "Wii be limited by an old fashioned controller?" or "Wii pay a billion dollars for a PS3?". ;)

You could imagine tag lines like "Wii not play for real?" or "Wii be limited by an old fashioned controller?" or "Wii pay a billion dollars for a PS3?". ;)

They clearly stated 'pronounced as we' when the name was announced. We as in, unite casual gamers, seems a much better name than a question. Seems to me something like "Why" would emphasise questions such as "why the hell buy this" "why does this exist" in a negative way.

As well as several other announcements why they think it's a great name they're confident in. As well as other announcements of "wii bashing finally dead". And then idiotic articles like this that seem to be more credible than Nintendo's word on and on.

Archived