Home

Where to buy LucasArts classics ?

Riva

Hi

I hope this tread isnt 99th of the same topic.Sorry if it is.

My problem is - I would love to own some of the lucasarts classic titles like a whole MonkeyIsland series as CD-versions, Sam&Max CD-ver etc. (CD-vers of Day of tentacle and Grimm Fandago wount hurt either)

For a short time (that I sadly missed) there were some "value packs" available. Now LucasArts shop looks like those titles never even existed. (I really lauged when I found there are games like 3 year old crappy starwars titles in "classics" section)

I tryed eBay already and its no good. There are few scatered lucasarts classics, with questionable condition, mostly undeliverable to my location or with nightmarish shipping prices.

The problem also is, you see, that Im located in a godforgotten european country (Czech). And I really cant afford to pay $8 for game + 35 more for shipping for every separate Monkey Island episode I'd like to own (as I'd have to do if I want to collect them from ebay one by one).

So my question and plea to you is : dont you know some forgotten e-shop that still sells those games at reasonable price and worldwide (referably as sayd valuepacks), or know some other doable way to get them ?

(and yeah I can download then from teh lousy warez dens, I just dream to have the originals)

Thanks for answers\tips

I personally have no idea where those things would be. All I know is I've been able to track down some Star Wars soundtracks on Napsterlinks, which I'm happy about. I've been looking for The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack for months. Now I can listen to the entire thing before buying it. But I hope you have more luck looking for the game you want.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by John Williams : http://www.napster.com/player/album/10900551

It wasn't too long ago that you could get Grim Fandango on Amazon UK, but it looks a though that ship has sailed. There are a fair few New & Used items for most classic LucasArts adventures though - Monkey Island trilogy box-set, bargain at £49.99!

If you try the European eBay sites then you'll be able to find a few of the games you want for reasonable prizes, and if you ask the seller about International Shipping it shouldn't be much of a problem. I know from experience that sending DVD-box games from the UK to Australia is only £2/£3 - it's definitely cheaper to get them to the Czech Rep (Details). On eBay UK I can find loads of copies of Grim Fandango for £3, a Sam & Max / DotT for £5 with a day remaining... Long story short, auction and new/used sites are pretty much your only bet.

scabb - many thanks for your help.

Bu isnt £50 for Monkey Island trilogy a bit expensive ?

(I guess it originaly costed about $30 top)

Also, as I wrote before - buying from private persons was really a pain for me in the past. You say it costs you £3 from UK to Australia. Well I had offers for no less then £15 from UK to Czech. I think its understood why I didnt accept and em looking for some more options.

And Amazons "marketplace" (the system through which you buy the so called "new and used" items) is basicaly the same as Ebay (thus the insane prices and the same shipping prices offered).

I may look like Im making problems up, but I really tryed all that before and it didnt go.

Will try some more.

£50 is very expensive, yeah. I was being a bit sarcy. Although you'd be hard pressed to get hold of MI1/MI2 for under £20.

Also, £15 for delivery? Sounds like someone was trying to rip you off, maybe? I'm not sure. The rates for packages are right here as I pointed out before, with Czech Republic definitely being in the European zone. But yeah, I suppose individuals aren't as reliable as shops and it's a bit of a hassle getting this kind of thing sorted out. Good luck, anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with scabb. The games you're looking for are old enough now to have completely emptied from the regular retail channel. Your best best is to keep your eyes open for people that are selling their existing copies of the game. I recently looked for copies of Final Fantasy VII for PC and found them in very short supply and for a lot more than I wanted to pay. :(

@ Machine Cult and Danny Qel-Droma - I hope you two realize you contributed absolutely nothing to this thread with your respective posts. Not a very nice way to welcome a new member to the forums. :disaprove

Hey Riva, welcome to the forums.

I just did an eBay advanced search for Monkey Island, and I chose Items Available to: Czech Republic, and then under Currency I put Euros. You should check there, there's a good amount available for pretty decent prices.

Those collections tend to be expensive nowadays. It's weird... Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II for example regularly goes for 10$ or less (complete box even) online, but if you want to order "LucasArts Archives: Jedi Knight" (which is typically just the jewel case of JK1 in a different box) it costs like $40!

Explain that one... If you don't care about boxes, sometimes getting them "piecemeal" is actually cheaper (though you've got to figure in shipping too).

Pity LucasArts doesn't stock all their old titles anymore... ;(

Ebay is another possibility, but compare Amazon and BarnesandNoble just in case so you don't get ripped off pricewise.

Archived