Home

Taking YouTube for granted...

Darth Groovy

Also... how the hell are they staying up? I don't see one advertisement on that site, they must be dying.

If I remember correctly, Maddox from http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net pays 12,000 dollars for his site every month to keep it up (he doesn't have any advertising), not suprising, considering how much bandwidth he'd need to host a site that gets hundreds of individual views every MINUTE...

If you think the internet is boring when youtube goes down just try thinking about living in a small town and the ISP for that town goes down for maintenance. Man, computers can be really boring without the internet. Plus on top of that I have my dad running in screamming and yelling at me to fix it and no matter how many times you explain it to him that you can't he still yells because I can't fix it and that he's too stupid to understand anything I say when explaining anything to him about anything electronic...especially computers. Man that's a long sentence.

I know how you feel man... Everytime my internet goes down or anything that I can't fix happens in my PC I simply say, "bye dad I'm going out. When you you stop and think about what I said that I can't fix it you give me a call and I'll be back."

One time I even slept on a friends house cuz of this kind of things. We lost internet for like 2 days...

I never thouht about how there's no ads on youtube before. God damn how do they pay for all it?

They have quarter-pixel Google Ads on them everywhere. They're all quarter-pixel, so you don't notice them. :p

Either that, or they steal money secretly from their contributors by seizing credit card information.

If you think the internet is boring when youtube goes down just try thinking about living in a small town and the ISP for that town goes down for maintenance. Man, computers can be really boring without the internet. Plus on top of that I have my dad running in screamming and yelling at me to fix it and no matter how many times you explain it to him that you can't he still yells because I can't fix it and that he's too stupid to understand anything I say when explaining anything to him about anything electronic...especially computers. Man that's a long sentence.
This is why it is key to download the **** to your harddrive for just such an occasion.

One of the things I do not like about YouTube is the high volume of 13 year old girls who think they want the rest of the world to watch them sing "I've Got You Babe" to their webcam.

You think it's bad when they sing. You should see all the useless videos of people

I found this from a quick google.

Meanwhile the site’s bandwidth costs, which increase every time a visitor clicks on a video, may be approaching $1 million a month–much of which goes to provider Limelight Networks.

(…)

Industry observers estimate that YouTube, which is streaming 40 million videos and 200 terabytes of data per day, may be paying between a tenth of a cent and half a cent per minute. Neither YouTube nor Limelight would comment on their pricing.

Here is the site.

http://blog.forret.com/2006/05/youtube-bandwidth-terabytes-per-day/

Wow. 200 terabytes a day is a lot.

they are supposed to be loosing millions, and have no obvious revenue model in place to make a profit in the near future. The recent deal with NBC might indicate how they intend to start making some money at some point.

Most of these startups get massive ammounts of venture capital, and then just blow through it, hoping they will get cool enough that a big company like AOL or Yahoo will step in and buy them... before they run out of money and have to start thinking how to make a profit.

Even my totally non-techy friends know about youtube..

Though its basically a bit rubbish as a community site... but excellent as a reference site.

Archived