Home

The New Jedi Order

Guest Rogue 9

whats the point then by asking people to not comment if they dont like it?

I will do what ever i want.

I guess IMHO i think the NJO is designed for the people who are pre-qual fans, and not OT fans. the whole Classic Trek, vs Next Gen trek argument.

Fantesy writers should never be allowed to do SCI_FI... the first series of NJO novels, foucuses too much on the Jedi, and what they can or cannot do. Then the plots are so predictable in that Whatever the main characters learn, or do, the Enemy ends up winning in the end. THe VOng are supppsioe ot be Xeno-phobic, sadistic, pain'death loving aliens. Yet it that was really true, the race would have killed itself before they even learn how to make an Internal combustion engine. Hitorically, a pure militiristic government cannot survive beyond 1 or 2 generations.

I dont feel any of the authors except the last one got the characters right. again IMHO i rate the whole NJO series slighty bettter the "Crystal Star" and below KJA "Darksaber/children of the Jedi" duology

With Balance point being the best novel.

In short, try to find the novels in paperback at a used bookstore, but get Balance point in Hardcover if you can. It is worth it.

I personally feel that the authors destroyed Han Solo, in every book before NJO, he was strong and loved his family, now it seems that he has completly abadoned them and I don't think he would have. I also don't like how the Vong seem to be a invulnerable foe, and how the Jedi get blamed for everything. I hope the newer books correct this.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Guest Rogue 9

I love the way the focus has been transfered to the new characters, many of them are far more developed than the old Characters and I like the involvment of the Jedi, although i don't like them getting blamed for everyone's troubles, but that gets better as the novels progress, I already have all of the ones currently in print

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Neezo

Rogue 9, I agree with you. Tom Clancy books rules biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (Net Force, Clear and Present Danger + many others) and I think IMHO that TC would be a great choice to write some SW books.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DarthSlapnutz

I think the books are great. I love the internal struggle between the Jedi. I just hope someone turns to the Dark Side and wipes out the Vong. Honestly, do you think the Emperor, Darth Vader, and Darth Maul together could kick some serious Vong @$$? One thing is bothering me though. I want to know more about what happened to Vergere. I just finished reading Rogue Planet, and realized that Vergere in that book is the same one from Hero's Trial. I want to know if they somehow got rid of her Jedi powers. I'm also thinking maybe Zenoma Sekot (the planet from Rogue Planet) may have something to do with the eventual downfall of the Vong. But overall, i love the books. I hope more of the main characters die though. Luke is getting old, and unless he goes to the darkside, i don't see much more you can do with him.

um.. luke is about 50, and that isn't as bad as Obi-wan was.

And that is the main probelm when you have multiple Authors doing a single storyline. Guest characters come and go, and get mixd in the shuffle.

Tho i really dont like how Kyp is being portrayed in NJO. He was arrogent b4, but now he is almsot as bad as Borsk Fey'la in being the #1 Arsehole in NJO

and i dont like how everyone is thinking they can make peace iwth the VOng, so they want to capture/kill Jedi. No one likes someone who does mass genocide. That is why there was a Rebellion in the first place... remeber Alderaan? Now it is okay if the Vong do it, and do it to Dozens of Systems

Guest DarthSlapnutz

I agree with you about the characters coming/going thing, i was hoping they'd explore more on Danni Quee and Jacen Solo possibly hooking up. I still think Luke is boring now, although now that his woman is with child, maybe that'll light a fire under his ass. I really want to see how a Sith interacts with the Vong though. I wonder how their armor would react to force lightning. One other thing that kind of bothers me is the fact that i am going to have to wait til next year until i find out how this ends. But so far, i'm impressed. No Star Wars book has kept me into it as much as this has since the Thrawn Trilogy. Now those were awesome books. Maybe Zahn will write a NJO book?

Guest Redwing

Man...major clash of opinions here...I'm not sure whether I even want to start reading the NJO. For most of the reasons previously stated.

------------------

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.

At last we will have revenge.

I don't know if I would continue to read the books if they kill off the classic characters in order to reach the newer generation. Overall compared to the other books NJO is a let down. It seems to me that they completly ruined the Jedi. Also the sith no longer exsist, Kun was the last of them. It seems to me that they are running out of ideas and decided a unbeatable race would get more people so the can sell more books. All you ever read about is how the good characters like Corran are banished, destroyed. Unless something happens I will become very disappointed with teh authors. I'm looking forward to when this series ends.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

I finished reading Balance point. The whole story Pretty much revolves around Anakin. And there is a interesting twist near the End, before he goes into battle.

Tho i hate the fact that they used the Kiddie books of Anakin for a referance *shudders at remmbering* Vaders Glove There is a totally unknown "Jedi Master", and Anakins Freind/love interest is also a total unknown.

Concept behind the book was good, Characters sucked. Liea and Han were "away" thoughout the whole book. but you do get to see a bit of the Vong Life, and how they act, and why. The the idea of a Race that strives for death being able to deveople space travel is beyond me. I wonder why they didn't commit mass Genocide thousands of years ago.

Anywhoo, for me it was a typical NJO novel. The EU novels were much simpler when they revovled around the "Big 4" Luke, liea, Han, and chewie. Now the authors have no idea who to use, and what to use known characters.

blargh.. rambling...

If you like reading about Jedi Fighting, read it, for pure entertainemtn, but i still feel that the whole NJO is far from any hint of Continuity that was established in the Movies, and previous novels

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

They should try call up Tom Clancy, slap down a pile of reference material, and say "write us a SW novel" and see what happens.

What would happen would be The Black Fleet Crisis all over again. Once was enough.

Being able to write good military fiction does not translate into being able to write good Star Wars.

Originally posted by K_Kinnison:

Tho i really dont like how Kyp is being portrayed in NJO. He was arrogent b4, but now he is almsot as bad as Borsk Fey'la in being the #1 Arsehole in NJO

I've been saying this for months. rolleyes.gif

Unless some future book set immediately after the Jedi Academy Trilogy explains Kyp's total change of direction (character-wise), NJO just can't be excused.

I understand that he'd be trying to prove himself after going to the Dark Side, but realistically, he'd be following Luke's lead. Luke was the one who took him in when the rest of the galaxy was clamoring for his head.

Kyp wouldn't be trying to prove himself to the public, he'd be trying to prove himself to <strike>Farmboy</strike> Luke and the other Jedi.

TPTBs behind NJO needed someone to come up hard-line against Skywalker, they just grabbed a known EU name without regard to previous character development. mad.gif

Tho i hate the fact that they used the Kiddie books of Anakin for a referance *shudders at remmbering* Vaders Glove There is a totally unknown "Jedi Master", and Anakins Freind/love interest is also a total unknown.

Actually, I with more of Anderson/Moesta & Richardson's Junior/Young Jedi Knights material made it in.

If she was handled well, Tahiri (Anakin's first gf) would actually be an interesting character, and I'd love to see "the gang"(*) back together.

* Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, Lowbacca, M-TD --heck, even seeing Raynar would be cool.

Hmm. Maybe Tenel Ka would actually be able to get through to the Vong; she seems to share their pride in bodily mutilations.

Besides, we Jaina/Zekk shippers need more than fanfic slash.

<small>I can't believe I just admitted to reading slashfic.</small> frown.gif

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

Guest citizendeviant

the njo story line is an excellent example of political maneuverings that happen all the time in the media. look at the world trade organization right now in quebec city. police in riot gear is throwing tear gas at peaceful protestors. who is villianized? the protestors. *sigh* just goes to show that the masses will believe everything that is on television. citizens of the star wars universe wouldnt act any differently than us if there was an undefeatable enemy pushing towards us and there was no hope of escape. fear is a powerful motivator.

its kind of like the daoist belief that all ppl are inherently good and how would the new order possibly exist if this were true? media propaganda and a whole ****loat of social engineering. clinton bombed another country to deflect media attention from his sexual escapades right? he KILLED innocents with that bombing order but he still steps dwon as the most popular president in history.

and its about time that someone looks deeper into jedi and jedi philosophy. i admit that there are times that they beat on it till its dead (like the whole jason solo thing) but everyone has to admit that the whole reason that starwars is around is because of jedi...or else everyone would be star trek fans right? i dunno am i going on too mush about this?

I am interested in the star wars universe, the idea of a well devopled space faring galaxy, when you can go into a nearby bar, see a dozen reconizable races, and a dozen un-reconizable races all enjoying a poisin of choice.

I am interested inthe Star wars universe where there is the classic Good verses Evil battle.

I am interested in the Star Wars universe becasue of the Eastern style Jedi teachings, andthe "holy knights" of good verses evil.

[ sarcasum mode ] If NJO is an Example of moderan era "poilitics" then we should be seeign shina take over Asia, and nearby Island countires while commiting mass Genocide in the process. While NATO, UN, and every other country cowers at home selling off thier loved ones so "they wont get hurt" That is the example that NJO does.

I hae ranted before on people trying to compare the moderan era politics to NJO.. IT DONT WORK!

The Vong are Xenophoic, stubborn, Religious Zelots, who highest form of morality is self mutalation, sacrifices, and Suicidal tendicies. can you find a group on earth that belives the same? no i dont think so

The Vong are Xenophoic, stubborn, Religious Zelots, who highest form of morality is self mutalation, sacrifices, and Suicidal tendicies. can you find a group on earth that belives the same?

XWA.net posters?

*runs away*

------------------

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

Guest RadGreystone

Well, there is another new book out, Edge of Victory: Conquest. I agree that Kyp's character has been kinda cr*py, Luke isn't as much of a hero anymore, that Han Solo's character has gone to sh*t, Corran being banished was not very cool, and that killing the classic characters will not be good. The first sets of books in the series were very dissapointing. My biggest complaint is that Mara Jade has gone a little to soft and isn't as strong a warrior as she once was. The fire I used to see in her has faded. I wish someone would fix this. HOWEVER, with the arrival of Balance Point, the books have been slowly gaining the fire that I love in most of the SW books. The newest addition, Edge of Victory: Conquest, has also got me waiting on the edge of my seat for the next addition. I think it is a good book. Tahiri is back, that should be enough to get evryone reading this book. Also, Corran makes a small guest appearance, so does Kardde. The books are slowly, yet surly getting better. So, to conclude, don't give up on the NJO series, not just yet.

Guest Rogue3

I have read all the NJO books I hate the way they make the Jedi lose, I mean they are Jedi. I have to agree with the opinion on Kyp, he is not a major @$$. Also I think the vong amor would react the same way Luke did when he was being forced lightning by the Emporror. Also I think they should make Luke more active in the book!

------------------

Roll the Ties and Light the Skies!

Guest DarthSlapnutz

It seems the consensus in the forum is that most people are not liking the NJO books. I can't comment on Kyp being an ass, as these books are my first exposure to him. I guess I've missed a few books in the SW saga. I am getting tired of the infighting in the Jedi though. At first I liked it, but it has grown tiresome. I think that if they just combined their might, they could destroy the Vong. I still stand by my belief in the fact that someone needs to turn to the dark side. I really hope they explore that angle. Personally, i don't think there has been a bad book in the series yet. I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I just hope they bring in a Sith.

RadGreystone does the term SPOILERS hold any meaning for ya? Not everyone's read EOV I: Conquest.

It's people like you who ruined Vector Prime for me.

------------------

I think that you are all being too tough on the series.

It is for a new generation. The same applies for Ep 1 - it was for a new generatoin, not for the vets who grew up knowing and loving the original trilogy.

If you look at it from that angle, then it is actually one of the best things that George Lucas has allowed.

I am also a fan of the series myself. I like the new spin on things, and feel that the Han storyline was a powerful idea, that through all the missions, hassle and battles, they are not invincible, no matter what you may believe. We are are flesh and blood, and will never transcend that.

You see, I am a Star Wars fan that enjoys the whole universe (even Ep1 and the various crap spin offs in their own little way) but like to look betwee the lines and read into it.

eg - the classic trilogy - a fight against xenophobic oppression. People - whether friends, family, strangers, same race or droid, all banded together into a well oiled group, who faced morals and ethics whislt trying to fight a war, in which morals and ethics are normally the first casualty. They kept their dictinction from the enemy through out, whilst still winning.

The voyage of discovery for Luke had begun, and continues in NJO series, now widening to encompass the entire Jedi Order, to the point of the wielding of the order. As the only jedi left with any remote knowledge of the old ways, and no mentors left to aid him, can he ever be sure that his teachings and ideals are correct.

The factions of the New Republic bickering, the factions of the Jedi bickering. The slow rot is still there, yet even slower. No one has yet to rise for the throne, but I doubt it long. Will history repeat itself in the face of such a pure adversary, one against whom the defenders of peace in the galaxy are of no effect.

The very advatages they relied upon - diplomacy, starfighters, Jedi, use of the Rim worlds, solidarity - are becoming obselete. They must rely on technology purely, something that was the Emperors ideal - technology was the way to rule - through fea of the IRON fist (metal implied).

------------------

Nova Squadron, the Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the Nebulon B Frigate 'Oracle', home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - SSDs (See our work with the Iron Fist !) !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest Rogue 9

It is my Opinion that by the End of this Series No Movie Characters will remain in the spotlight and LucasFilms will be free to continue the movie saga from that point on without further disrupting the timeline. smile.gif

Guest Rogue 9

I have read nearly every SW Novel BTW and I still like the NJO Series. They did make Han a bit of a loser , I won't say why this is understandable because some people haven't read the first book yet.

Archived