Home

Does Darth Vader...

Lt. Horn

I'll try this again since my comp just crashed.

In Star Wars Tales #5 (I think), there's a short story explaining ESB in light of the 3P0/Vader connection. It's actually a fairly good explanation.

Vader recognized Threepio, he just didn't acknowledge him because "Anakin Skywalker" was dead.

"We'll have the droid scrapped."

"No."

"M'lord?"

"Give the droid to the wookiee. He cares for it."

------------------

It's like I always say: When the going gets tough, the tough . . . switch to artillery.

[This message has been edited by Flying Beastie (edited August 01, 2001).]

actaully He DID reconize the droid

in the Scene where they freeze han, and Chewie goes nutz, Boba lifts up his blaster and Vader pushes it down. he might not admit it, but i have herd reports that boba herd a sniffle coming from that big black dude

Yes, but Boba had much better aim than your average stormtrooper (a five-year-old with a squirt-gun has better aim than your average stormtrooper). He would've been able to hit Chewie without damaging the droid.

I think Vader stopped him because he (A) knew that the wookiee was, at that point, controllable, and (B) wasn't confident that one blaster shot would be enough to take down a really p*ssed off wookiee.

"I'll shoot him."

"On stun! I'd rather have an angry wookiee than-- <small>What am I saying?</small> Full-power!"

--from an RPG

------------------

It's like I always say: When the going gets tough, the tough . . . switch to artillery.

Most likely Vader having the Princess and Chewie in his custody was a safty net of sorts in case Luke failed to take the bait at Cloud City. There is always the ransom factor to consider. The princess being situated as she was within the rebellion would be far too tempting a hostage for anyone to resist. Chewie was just a bonus. Vader must have known that Luke would have gone after them or would have surrendered himself for them.

That's the only thing I can figure anyway.

Or perhaps this was one of the events Lucas put in to show what Luke felt when he said "... there is still good left in him."

Guest Fondas

I've read somewhere that Vader never really met Threepio during the original trilogy...

Come to think of it, the only time they were in the same place were in Cloud City, where Threepio had been shot to pieces...

Guest Fondas

Originally posted by Admiral:

3po has had his mind wipped for maintence in the past. that is why he doesn't reconize him.

That would be a logical explanation, but I think that the memory wipe every six months is a concept od EU writters , i.e. Zahn/Stackpole.

Can it be considered canon ?

I'm sure there will be a scene in one of the upcoming movies after Anakin becomes Vader that Obi-Wan and Yoda are forced to erase all memory of Skywalker references from the droids for safety's sake. This will take place around the time they split up the twins and go into hiding themselves. Otherwise there is the danger of one of them blurting out the truth of the Skywalker family secret at an inoppertune moment, and ruining the plans of the Jedis.

My explanation could be considered canon. In ANH Owen tells Luke to take the droids to get their memories wipped, just after they bought them from the Jawas and Luke thinks they belong to somebody else.

You can then conclude that it might not be every six months but it does happen, and 3po is an old droid so most likely at one time or another before he met Luke is memory was wipped.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Archived