Home

What hapens when you are sproted or when you die?

kolto

I don't think it was ever mentioned in the game. It's like dying in this world, nobody really knows what becomes of those who die.

However, someone said that Schafer said that sprouting is a straight way to the 9th Underworld. I personally hate that explanation because in my eyes it takes away the feeling of loss regarding Salvador and the rest. Also, it seems unfair that Hector etc. should get to eternal rest just like that.

I'm not sure I can believe that really VampireNaomi, since it'd seem pretty insane considering the context and what is said during the game. Without a citation I'd be tempted to say that the person is either outright making stuff up or simply misread a quote. :~

Anyway, Sal gave quite a vivid description of what happens when you have a chat with the shadow while locked in Glottis' shack:

“There's nothing more horrible than the bite of the sprouter. Its deadly stinger spreads a green disease through every calcified pore on your body, leaving you veined with roots and flocked with grass, steadily growing thicker and thicker until you crash and bloom out in a horrifying bouqet of pain and fragrant suffering, screaming until your mouth fills with perils and your nostrils shoot out thorny stems, and the bulbs sprout in your eyes, leaving you nothing but a batch of wild flowers on the ground swarming with butterflies.”

So, when you take that into account, one can assume that you don't actually die when sprouted — you're just eternally paralysed by the flowers having overwhelmed every single part of your being. Whether you retain conciousness is a whole other story, though. :(

I wish I remembered what thread that claim came up in. Even if it was an actual fact, though, I'd still be tempted to ignore it. I very much prefer what everyone else has been saying, that the soul just remains in the body.

Why do you suppose Lola disappeared in a stream of flowers while most others, like Copal, remained there?

Hmmmm, I think Salvador is just describing what he's seen though. How could he possibly knows what actually happens to you after you are sprouted?

Maybe there's a "land of the sprouted" that sprouted soals go to.

why Lola's flowers blew away? It was outside and it was windy that night.

The idea of Death-Within-Death is one of the most frightening aspects of Grim Fandango, no-one really knows what happens to those who die after dieing. The idea of flowers also being an image of this is also haunting; usually flowers are considered a thing of beauty amongst the living, but amongst the dead they are a symbol of pain. I think the best explanations of this are with Membrillo.

There is also a brilliant fan-fiction by Vampire-Naomi depicting what happens after sprouting from Olivia's point of view. If I remember rightly it is called 'On Soulless Feet' and is on the DOD Website.

But it was as if the flowers ate Lola completely, there were no bones left. With everyone else, their skeleton was left behind and it would have to be pretty strong wind to blow away bones, even if Lola's were left.

Gah, that fanfic has the worst ending in the history of writing. :smash:

I think what VampireNaomie was referring to was a comment I made. I read an interview with Tim Schafer that was scanned from a games magazine, I can't remember which but I'm sure it was posted here. Basically Mr Schafer says that when someone gets sprouted their soul gets sent back to the Land of the Living. I'll try to find it.

But it was as if the flowers ate Lola completely, there were no bones left. With everyone else, their skeleton was left behind and it would have to be pretty strong wind to blow away bones, even if Lola's were left.

Gah, that fanfic has the worst ending in the history of writing. :smash:

Maybe it just looked artistic to have her blown away in the wind. And for the record I thought that fan fic was good :)

wait a sec, I think I found the article I was thinking about but it doesn't say what I said...oh well, I must have hallucinated the whole thing haha.

And I could have sworn you said Ninth Underworld in that other thread. Looks like I've been hallucinating as well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Yup, it's this one:

On Soulless Feet We Cross The Floor

Chapter 1 / Chapter 2 / Chapter 3

A great fanfic. That's a very likely explanation as to what might happen to sprouted/killed souls. It also explains what happens to souls who "go down" in that fiery pit for trying to buy a double-N ticket.

There is of course, the possibility that sprouted souls simply cease to exist or have to reincarnate as other human beings back in the Land of the Living. And that people who try to buy their way to the 9th Underworld simply end up in Hell. Then again, VampireNaomi's realm of the "killed" is Hell-like.

• 1 month later...

I think that once you get sprouted its just over no life after the after life. If there is something more it really makes it way too complex and just not interesting. I mean think of it like all the people that got sprouted have something else coming...that would just take the misery of being sprouted especially if they end up in the 9th underworld. Why not sprout yourself in the beginning right? The fact that there is a death within death is just terrifying...so why should there be more. And if that is the case, I'll just stay ignorant to it. It would just really kill the tragedy of losing Sal and Lola, especially since Manny would meet them in the 9th underworld.

• 7 months later...

I also believe I have read somewhere that sprouted souls are sent back to the world of the living, having to start over,and having to go through the struggle of life once again. And the world of the living is creepy in the eyes of the dead, so I guess no one wants to go through that again. But I find the idea of death within death better. The destruction of the soul, the ceasing of being. Makes it all much more bitter. There is a life after death, there is a place for eternal rest, but you won't be able to enjoy it, as you have ceased to exist.

(sorry for bringing up old threads, it's a long time since I've been here, and found some threads interesting)

• 4 weeks later...

I think that when you are sprouted, your body and soul just cease to exist. I mean the whole idea of sprouting is meant to be a sick sort of irony. Flowers traditionally represent life and vibrancy, but in the game, they are used to kill people. In this world of death, where people can exist in much the same way as they did when they were alive, ceasing to exist entirely could be the most frightening thing of all.

Archived