Home

Would you buy Knights of the New Republic?

tbl1

Would you buy Knights of the New Republic?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Knights of the New Republic?

• Definitely
    • Probably
    • Maybe
    • Probably not
    • Definitely not

After the KOTOR series ends, or as a seperate series: would you buy a KOTOR type game set in the new republic? (assuming it doesn't take any production time away from KOTOR and it is of comparable quality to KOTOR)

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Not if it has anything to do with the Yuzhan Vong. If they're even mentioned once, I would snap the disc in half. But my thoughts on that matter have been made clear many times.

I myself am prejudiced against the post RotJ EU. What with the cloning of Palpatine, the invention of this 'Sun Crusher', and 'Centerpoint Station', or whatever the hell it's called, I just despise it. The final straw was when they killed my favourite Wookie. I can never forgive them for that...

Not if it has anything to do with the Yuzhan Vong. If they're even mentioned once, I would snap the disc in half. But my thoughts on that matter have been made clear many times.

I myself am prejudiced against the post RotJ EU. What with the cloning of Palpatine, the invention of this 'Sun Crusher', and 'Centerpoint Station', or whatever the hell it's called, I just despise it. The final straw was when they killed my favourite Wookie. I can never forgive them for that...

I have to agree, the post Rotj EU is extremely lame. The Yuuzhan Vong pretty much destroy every planet that's been featured in the movies and they wiped out Nar Shaddaa. You can't wipe out Nar Shaddaa. No one can. It's mine.

I'm not really thrilled with SW games that feature the charachters from Ep IV to EpVI, especially if the voice overs aren't done by actors who played them in the movies (ex:Luke in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy), so if there ever gets to be a KoTNR, I'd buy it if the story is set during the Yuuzhan Vong occupation of Coruscant, or if it's a few thousand years after that, in a completely new era with completely new characters.

The issue with doing a game in the New Republic timeframe is that there is less freedom to create an original galaxy-spanning story that doesn't trample all over existing continuity. That is why the KOTOR timeframe was originally chosen.

The other "issues" with that and the NJO era are that there really aren't that many lightsaber wielding opponants (Sith or otherwise) running around to act as protagonists. Let's face it, KOTOR is popular because of Jedi fighting Sith. They could go with something like the Reborn from Jedi Outcast, but since the game would be on a larger scale story-wise than JO/JA that plot device doesn't work as well. In the NJO the Vong are a contoversial subject with fans and a large deviation from what the average fan (i.e. movies only) is familiar with. I would say that the NJO is the one era in Star Wars that would cause some fans to potentially not buy the game because of their hatred of the Vong as characters. Plus, having enemies that aren't directly affected by Force powers wouldn't be much fun. :)

If they were to do a post-ROTJ game, I would suggest that they push it out to the new Legacy era (140 years ABY). I'd say that currently it has by far the most potential:

• The player could be a member of three potential Force-sensitive groups: the Sith, the Jedi, and the Imperial Knights.
  • Each faction is quite different and runs the range of how people might like to play good/evil-wise.
  • Lots of members of each running around, so plenty of opportunities for lightsaber battles.
  • Precedent set for Force-sensitives leaving the Jedi Order and becoming pirates/smugglers/etc.
  • Sith appear to have the purpose of bringing a strong order to the galaxy, and aren't just of the bully variety.
  • A wide range of Sith types.
  • Continuity is pretty much wide open, with a familiar (jedi and sith, star destroyers, x-wings, etc.) yet different (Republic replaced by the empire, new faction of jedi, etc.) galactic landscape.

:)

The issue with doing a game in the New Republic timeframe is that there is less freedom to create an original galaxy-spanning story that doesn't trample all over existing continuity. That is why the KOTOR timeframe was originally chosen.

The other "issues" with that and the NJO era are that there really aren't that many lightsaber wielding opponants (Sith or otherwise) running around to act as protagonists. Let's face it, KOTOR is popular because of Jedi fighting Sith. They could go with something like the Reborn from Jedi Outcast, but since the game would be on a larger scale story-wise than JO/JA that plot device doesn't work as well. In the NJO the Vong are a contoversial subject with fans and a large deviation from what the average fan (i.e. movies only) is familiar with. I would say that the NJO is the one era in Star Wars that would cause some fans to potentially not buy the game because of their hatred of the Vong as characters. Plus, having enemies that aren't directly affected by Force powers wouldn't be much fun. :)

If they were to do a post-ROTJ game, I would suggest that they push it out to the new Legacy era (140 years ABY). I'd say that currently it has by far the most potential:

• The player could be a member of three potential Force-sensitive groups: the Sith, the Jedi, and the Imperial Knights.
  • Each faction is quite different and runs the range of how people might like to play good/evil-wise.
  • Lots of members of each running around, so plenty of opportunities for lightsaber battles.
  • Precedent set for Force-sensitives leaving the Jedi Order and becoming pirates/smugglers/etc.
  • Sith appear to have the purpose of bringing a strong order to the galaxy, and aren't just of the bully variety.
  • A wide range of Sith types.
  • Continuity is pretty much wide open, with a familiar (jedi and sith, star destroyers, x-wings, etc.) yet different (Republic replaced by the empire, new faction of jedi, etc.) galactic landscape.

Here's How I see it. If they produce a KOTOR III, I would buy it. The first one was awesome with a few minor disappointments. The second game was an awesome minus. It was an improvement in the execution or the game but the storyline was not as strong as the first. On a scale of 1 to 10, KOTOR I was a 9.5, KOTOR II was an 8.5. KOTOR III would have to fall below a 7 for me to be disappointed. If the use the same engine as II uses, then their storyline is the only thing that would drive the game down. I wish that they would restore the Lightsaber centerpiece crystals like Mantal of the Force or others. Just my two sense.

What's my beef with the Vong? I just hate them. I don't know why. There is no good reason, really. They're just retarded, in my opinion.

You seem to think many things are retarded. Anyway, I've never read much of the EU books, except for several of them. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter being the best of them.

Hurrah for Prime's idea!

As a side-note, a game based around the Thrawn Trilogy would be good. Not necessarily starring Luke or Leia (since they both spend quite some time doing nothing in the books), but it would be nice, nonetheless.

Well, the beloved Blue Face Dude will show up soon, in the came called E@W.

What's my beef with the Vong? I just hate them. I don't know why. There is no good reason, really. They're just retarded, in my opinion.

They are a typical second villian. Oh lets make these guys immune to the powers of the jedi. It pretty much destroys all that people see in jedi and throws a few books out the window in terms of who the jedi are.

I would buy a pre-NJO game. I never found interest in the NJO series. I heard too many things about the series, which I find a hard time to except.

Anyone think Chewbacca's death in the NJO was a bad move? I don't know what they were thinking.

----------------------------------------------------

There are places in the Original Trilogy, which I would love a chance to see. Yavin IV is a very intresting place.

If KotOR III brings:

1. Yavin IV.

2. An immediate conclusion to Exile and Revan.

3. An independant main plot.

4. Several side-quests, which don't affect main game play. (Meaningful Side-Quests.)

5. Dialouge that relfects alignment and class.

6. A chance to choose NPCs regardless of alignment or gender.

7. A gallactic (epic) battle.

8. A revelation that no one was expecting.

9. Moments that are chilling, emotionally touching, and logical.

I know it is a big list... :)

Hmmm...I voted 'Probably', but having read the posts I've changed my mind.

I would only purchase it if it was set in the early years of the NR. Like the Doc, I detest the Vong. As for Legacy, well I don't have high opinions of that either, particularly when you have factions using equipment that is well over a century old. Sure, you have upgrades but thats that stupid beyond belief.

The final straw was when they killed my favourite Wookie. I can never forgive them for that...

Doctor, we have finally found a topic on which you and I are in 100% agreement.

I voraciously devoured all the EU books right up until I read the first Vong book. Since then, I haven't read a single one set post-RotJ. It's one thing to introduce a new species of bad guy, and it's another to arbitrarily wipe out half the planets that made Star Wars what it was. I go into a bookstore and I see, what, dozens of books now set in the Vong universe and I have zero interest in even reading the coverflaps. I'd definitely need to read some reviews of KotNR before it'd even come near my hard drive.

I would prefer the old Republic just because it is so "new" compared to the other 2 time frames we've seen(Republic and Empire era) But ultimately it would depend on the story and what stuff you could do.

Oh, and the Yuuzhan Vong wouldn't be half bad considering they were able to beat the New Republic back like the Empire was, and it made the Jedi vulnerable again..

And I assume you broke your Knights 1 cd(The Doctor) because Canderous talks about them when you ask about his war stories. He speaks of a asteroid field were they fire at some balls of ice and melt it and it speeded up and flew away. Also that is shot plasma that melted their armour and set off beyond the edge of the galaxy, he even mentioned that they looked like their ships.

Kinda strange that they were mentioned since they were not known to have visisted the galaxy until the Republic era, probably just got filed as a looney with a death wish hehe

Archived