Home

Superman RETURNS

Mike Windu

Frankly, I was a little let down with the movie.

I never realized I had seen the climax (when Supe throws the island) until it was over. Superman never seems to face any challenges here; even kryptonite seems to have very little effect on him. Was the entire Luthor Island supposed to be kryptonite, or at least half kryptonite? How could he survive explosure to that much of it? I assume the part where he breaks through the clouds was supposed to be him absorbing solar energy, presumambly to perform such a feat, but it just didn't feel like enough to overcome it. Furthermore, he passed out after throwing it out, without apparently straining himself moving it. Some close-ups of Supe sweating or in pain when he was lifting the island would have made sense there. I thought that his kid was sort of silly; one minute he can throw a piano, but the next he can't open a door? WTH? I guess I'll always be destined not to like Superman movies, though, since no one seems interested in having Supe FIGHT. I don't think he even threw a punch in the entire movie.

And a final question. I though Superman joined the Daily Planet to get news about criminal actions. If he can just hang in a low-earth orbit and hear every crime on the planet, why does he need an altar ego at all? If he is so interested in protecting humanity, why not fight crime full-time? Metropolis clearly worships him, and (if he even needs food) I'm sure they give him everything he needs.

Anyway, it had some very good FX, but overall I was pretty disappointed. I give it a two out of five.

Saw it last night finally. Great movie! Really well done IMO. The actor who plays Supes looks freakishly like Christoper Reeves. A few times in the beginning I had to say "wait a minute...". Kevin Spacey is and has been a BAMF. This movie only proves it more.

As for you guys that are nitpicking, I think you might be overthinking the whole thing.

The hell is wrong with you guys? The kid can't control his freakin powers yet, only came in a moment of fear/rage when his mom was in danger.

Yes, kryptonite had a different effect on Superman than in the other movies. Get over it.

There's a reason why the Kryptonite didn't have a huge effect on him when he landed. Maybe oh, I dunno, because it's not direct exposure? It's incased in what 3 kilometers of crystal that only has some of the properties of Kryptonite? That's like asking why hot coal wrapped in aluminum foil doesn't burn you :dozey:

I'm also pretty sure you can't zap Kryptonite.

Everything was done perfectly imo. :p

Cause Clark Kent is Superman, not the other way around. He was raised as Clark, and that is his real identiy.

Uh, no he's not. he was raised as clark, but his real Identity is superman. Besides, maybe he just wanted to get a job to meet some of the ladies ;)

Uh, no he's not. he was raised as clark, but his real Identity is superman. Besides, maybe he just wanted to get a job to meet some of the ladies ;)
That's nonsense, would you say Peter Parker's real identity is Spider-Man and that he disguises himself as Peter to get a job ? o_O

His real identity is Kal-El, he was raised as Clark Kent and his alter-ego is Superman.

The hell is wrong with you guys? The kid can't control his freakin powers yet, only came in a moment of fear/rage when his mom was in danger.

Yes, kryptonite had a different effect on Superman than in the other movies. Get over it.

There's a reason why the Kryptonite didn't have a huge effect on him when he landed. Maybe oh, I dunno, because it's not direct exposure? It's incased in what 3 kilometers of crystal that only has some of the properties of Kryptonite? That's like asking why hot coal wrapped in aluminum foil doesn't burn you :dozey:

I'm also pretty sure you can't zap Kryptonite.

Everything was done perfectly imo. :p

I agree completely

The reason I think they included the flashback of Superman as a kid running through the field was to show him when he first fully realized his powers, and how he reacted to them. And that was a nice comparison to his son, because remember after throwing the piano he got really upset and said something along the lines of "I'm sorry mommy." And if he was scared by his newfound powers it would make sense that he would be afraid of opening the door in the ship. I personally thought it was very interesting seeing the reaction of both superman and his son, when they both discovered their supernatural abilities. Bryan Singer did a great job :D

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night (only just came out in the UK) and thought it was excellent. Better than POTC2 - though not really the same sort of film to compare.

I think its pretty amazing how they managed to simultaneuosly completely capture the feel of the original films, and make it seem modern and fresh.

One word of warning though, don't go in expectng an action film, it isn't. If anything its more of a romance.

The slightly strange thing is that I didn't think any of the individual elements was outstanding, but the would film just came together really well.

The acting was fine, though I felt that, considering the length of the film, it seemed like Superman, Lois and Lex didn't get that much screen time to shine.

Superman was fine, good actually, though he lacked a tiny bit of the charm as Clark that Reeve had. But in all - good job.

Spacy as lex wasn't bad. Seemed to fade in and out of the movie a little, and couldn't quite make up his mind whether to play it straight or ham it up entirely.

The girl that played Lois wasn't particularly memorable or individual, but she was passable. Didn't have the character of MJ or Elizabeth Swan or Margot Kidder though.

If anything I thought the big surprise of the whole thing was Cyclops, who's character was as interesting, and had as much plot and screentime as the big three. He looks weird with eyes though!! Like his face is missing something... ;)

Plot wise it was pretty good. I'm not quite sure how it managed to be so long... but it didn't feel slow or long at all. They could maybe have cut the opening Lex intro sequence... and maybe had a bit more of a revelation about his trip: "went to space, nothing there, came back" seemed a bit of an anticlimax.

I liked the romance/love triangle elements (and my girlfriend really liked it too) and the munchkin twist.

I liked the creation of the crystal continent... though they could maybe have shown it having a bit more of a catastrophic effect on the USA. Lex also seemed kind of disappear from the plot at the end.

I loved that they showed him getting his power from the sun. Though i was expecting the end hospital room scene to end with lois opening the blind as she left, and that reviving him.

(well, i was hoping Christian Bale would show up and whisk him away for treatment, but i knew that wouldn't happen ;) )

It did seem that they set up a few seeds for the next one, mentioning gotham (dark Knight returns crossover? oh please!!), mentioning the chance of there being kryptonian survivors on another world (Darkseid?), creating a (i assume) still growing planet of Kryptonite floating near earth, showing his reliance on the sun (Doomsday?) .

All in all, though no one element was brilliant, it came together to be one of the best superhero films in recent years. Less flawed than X-men 2, Better than the overrated Spiderman 1&2, and pretty comarable to Batman Begins.

Its strange to think they rebooted batman, and went back to the originals for superman. Totally opposite approaches that produced very similar results.

With the kid being Supermans kid and having all of these powers it's going to be hard to discipline the kid. John and Martha Kent must have done something right for Clark to turn out as well as he did. The only person who could show this Lois' kid any discipline is Supes. So I hope they try to work somehing out in one of the next movies.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/comic_tot2.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/comic_tot3.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/comic_tot4.gif

Url'ed for the sole reasong it was a responce to a spoiler.

To put it simply.

Credit goes to Maddox from http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net

Archived