Home

The Face on the Milk Carton: Ending

Niner_777

My class read the Face on the Milk Carton this year in school. Afterwards, our assignment was to write a creative ending, seeings how the ending in the book was cr*p. :D No offence to the author, as they did write a sequel, I just never have read it. So, I started to write my ending, but like always, I got carried away and didn't finish. It was supposed to be around one page, and mine was four pages before I ran out of time and was forced to hand it in as was. I did manage to scrape out a 10/10 because what I had was pretty good. In this thread, I hope to finish it.

I will give you some background on the book for those of you who haven't read it. If you haven't, I might suggest it. It wasn't great, just an ordinary book read in school, IMO. Before this though, please tell me if you think that this is a good idea. :)

Well it turns out that I lost my notes, so this thing is off. J/K!

I'll just have to see what I can remember. We didn't even have a comprehension test on it, and therefore, I didn't really remember it. :D

The story isn't really the important part. It's the firefight between the cult(background needed) and the SWAT team. My class got a kick out of my story.

Background:

(These are the very basics)

One day at school, Janie sees a little girl’s face on a milk carton. It says that she is missing. The name on the milk carton is Jennie Smith (I’m not sure about the last name.). She goes home and looks into it. She realizes that her parents are much older than she originally thought. She also realizes that there aren’t any baby pictures of her. When she ventures into the attic, she finds the dress that the girl was wearing in the picture on the milk carton; she remembers it. In the attic, Janie also finds a chest with a bunch of papers in it. They’re not her school papers, but someone’s named Hannah. She finally gains the courage to ask her parents about it. They explain that Hannah was their daughter until she ran away and joined a cult. They’ve lost contact with Hannah ever since. Later, they had Janie, so Janie’s parents say that Janie wasn’t kidnapped. They also cover up the entire baby picture thing by saying that they didn’t have time to get a camera. However, she continues to have day mares, which are daydreams about her when she was little. They are little memories of her old family. When she goes to the library to do research, she finds and article of a kidnapping. She doesn’t quite trust her parents anymore.

All this time, she’s been having boyfriend issues with Reeve, her next-door neighbor. I won’t elaborate on those though. So, Janie finds the address to her supposed real families house. Reeve drives her down to New Jersey, where the house is. When they get there they see a whole family with red hair at the house; Janie has red hair too. She also sees a dog. The dog is in her day mares as well as a set of twins, also in her day mares. They drive back to Connecticut, where Janie and Reeve live.

At school, Janie decides to write a pretend note to her “real family” and addresses it. She does that just to get it out of her system. However, she drops the letter on accident and can’t find it. She realizes that a janitor probably picked it up and mailed it. Janie rushes home and tells her parents. I think that it was two days later, they got a call from the “real family’s” house. They’re like “Hi, who are you.” “Oh, I’m Janie” etc. They really only say hi and start crying by the end of the book. No meeting, no explanation, nothing. That’s why I’m writing this ending.

Like I said, these are the basics. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer them the best that I can. Also, this project is supposed to be one chapter. I'll break it up into smaller portions.

First portion

---

Janie looked out the Jeep’s window at the trees that rushed past. The Aftermath of the discussion with her biological parents was still bothering her greatly.

“It’s not your fault you left, Janie,” Reeve reminded her. “You probably didn’t even realize what happened.”

Janie didn’t respond. She wasn’t even thinking about whatever Reeve was saying. She was so absorbed in day mares, which didn’t seem so bad anymore, but still made her feel scared for reasons unknown. She saw herself playing in the shrubs, riding her dog, and a robbery? What was that last memory? She brushed the thought aside and focused on another problem. She couldn’t see her parents’ faces.

Maybe she just didn’t want to see the faces of the people she betrayed. Maybe that was the scariest part of her day mares. She knew that what was happening was true, despite her wishes for it not to be. Anyways, the Jeep continued to zoom down the highway, and before Janie knew it, she was standing in front of the pancake restaurant, the location in which Janie and Reeve where supposed to meet Janie’s true parents. She shook her head, wondering how she got where she was, thinking, hoping, that perhaps, this was still a dream.

Reeve put his arm around Janie’s shoulder and gently pushed her into the pancake restaurant. Janie had her eyes closed at first, but when she gained the courage to open them, she saw a couple, sitting in the corner of the small restaurant, get up and walk over to greet her.

Janie’s heart raced. It felt as if she were looking down on the event playing out below rather than taking part in the event. Then she was brought back down to Earth when her biological mom asked, “Jennie?”

“Yes,” Janie replied.

Not to exciting, yet.

Btw, if anyone has read this book and has noticed something wrong in the background info, please inform me. Thanks.

Archived