Home

Yoda's Swamp Technical Support Center

Joetheeskimo

This thread is the place to post your computer-related problems to be solved by fellow Swampies.

My problem is this:

Ever since my real computer died on me last month, I've been accessing the Internet via a Dell Inspiron laptop.

But I have an annoying problem: animations are not playing for me in IE (Before you criticize my browser choice, they don't work in Firefox either). It displays the first frame, but does not play any after that. It's the sae for all sites, including LF.

When I download the animation to my computer, it's still a .gif, but only the first frame, almost as if my computer is replacing all animations with a static image as soon as the page loads.

I tried Microsoft.com for answers, and it gave me a list of settings to change, all of which made no difference.

screen.bmp

One would hope that a straightforward setting like "Play Animations" would do the trick, but it makes no difference. So, I think it's a problem with the laptop.

Any ideas?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think its the laptop itself. Open a Windows explorer window>Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Check to see what is being used to open/view the gif files. Try setting it to the windows picture and fax viewer. If that doesn't work, look for quicktime alternative. For some reason, quicktime seems to want to be the only program that will run gifs. The QA is a plugin for IE. To make it work in Firefox, just copy the .dll files (npqtplugin.dll) to the Firefox folder. QA just allows quicktime files to run without having to have the whole program running. I'm trying to remember how I worked around this problem but I can't. I'm sure there's an easier way but can't think of it. You can find the QA at http://www.majorgeeks.com

Thanks for answering so quickly.

It was already set to Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, so I downloaded QA and set it so that it played .gif files, but, unforunately, animations still don't work. :(

An interesting thing is that if I view an animated .gif on my computer in IE or Firefox - not downloaded off the Internet - it plays fine. Only animations on the Web don't work.

Any ideas?

I know my father used to have this problem on his computer and I couldn't find what the problem was. It works fine now, but I have no idea what he did... sorry I can't help.

Since only the animation viewed on the Internet don't work I assum this is most likely due to a spyware, ad-blocker or firewall perhaps. What firewall do you use ?

Recently, my system's motherboard or processor crapped out. I had an athlon xp 2100+ and a nondescript Socket A motherboard. So, I am now in a dilemma, I already have a nice (in my opinion) AGP videocard, and two large IDE hard drives, a soundcard, and a stick of pc 2100 ddr memory and something that claims to be ddr 266. Can I save my memory, videocard, and hard drives, and simply place them in a new 64 bit system? I had the following in mind:

Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128307

Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103535

As you can see, I wanted to stick with an AGP motherboard to keep my 6600. I was just wondering if I could use my old DDR memory in this new motherboard, and save myself some money.

cheers

EDIT: I know that I will probably have to reinstall my operating systems.

I would say you can keep everything but the RAM. With Dual Channel, you have to have the same type/capacaty of RAM running in tandem. Other than that, the board you picked has an AGP slot for your vid card and two parallel ports (though you only need one) for your Hard Drives. So other than the RAM, unless someone knows different you're good to go.

Hmmmm, I'm not to familiar with 64 bit yet. My philosify is always to buy the best stuff you can afford/are willing to pay for. If the $80 looks better and you think you won't need the 64 bit support then go for it. Otherwise, fork out a little extra dough and buy from newegg.

Well, yes, it's that time of year again,when I revisit LF because I am having computer problems, LOL.

Well, basically, my internet randomly dies. To fix this, I just unplug the power cable to the wireless router (not the cable box) and wait for a little bit, then I replug it and it works fine. Weird thing is, the internet never fails to die again. Also, this is our main desktop computer which "hosts" the internet and uses the cable box, where our laptops use the wireless router and wireless cards, etc.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? This is driving me crazy, as it interrupts any games I play online, my web surfing, and file transfers in messenger conversations.

Thank you for your time and patience. I hope you guys will be able to help easily.

- Majin Revan

Set up a static IP instead of using DHCP if you're getting a message saying the network device has little or no connectivity. It seems to be the routers DCHP screwing up and assigning messed up IPs to computers. (Had this problem a while ago, used static IP instead and it fixed the issue)

O.K., how...? LOL.

But, also, the only message that appears is in the corner of the screen, and it isn't even a message...it just has two computers connected but with a red "X."

Also, is there a disadvantage to this static IP thing?

- Majin Revan

Also, is there a disadvantage to this static IP thing?
You can't change your IP address and get yourself "unbanned" from site's you've been permabanned/IP banned from. Your ISP might not support static IPs either.

Do what ZBomber said though, call your ISP and find out if it's just a DHCP server problem or a network blackout in your area (downed/damaged line near your house/apartment maybe?).

i have the same problem with my setup. the t'internet's happily chugging along, xbox li9ve humming away nicely in the background, and then it all becomes lagtastic for a couple of minutes, and then inherintly dies. "you have been signed out of msn" yatta yatta yatta, "your xbox failed to connect to xbox live" etc etc etc. and yet when i reboot them, they seem to work fine. :| anyhelp LF goers? :D

Archived