Home

Yoda's Swamp Technical Support Center

Joetheeskimo

Did your father make any hardware modifications ? This might be the problem

Try deleting the wpa.dbl (Windows Product Activation) from the Windows\system32 folder in safe mode. This file handles the hardware configuration info and activation state of the current Windows XP installation, so this might do the trick.

Make sure you make a backup first though.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad would not know how to make hardware modifications even if I drew pictures of it in crayon. Best I can figure, there must have been a windows update that got terminated prematurely.

I tried doing a system restore back one month, and THAT seemed to do the trick. At the time of this post, his windows seems to be working.

This one is for avid WMP users:

I work on campus and I have professor that uses to stream an audio file from France in his class. He's using WMP in the small, skin mode. He would like to get rid of the visualization in the skin mode. I tried to disable it but it only disables in the full mode (which is teh ghey if you ask me). Is there a skin or plug-in that does show the visualization in the skin mode?

This one is for avid WMP users:

I work on campus and I have professor that uses to stream an audio file from France in his class. He's using WMP in the small, skin mode. He would like to get rid of the visualization in the skin mode. I tried to disable it but it only disables in the full mode (which is teh ghey if you ask me). Is there a skin or plug-in that does show the visualization in the skin mode?

The Quicksilver skin that's built into WMP 10 doesn't display visualizations.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I need help with Linux. I partioned my drive to install linux and keep my windows install. Well, I messed up and instead of checking the install on custom partition, it started to install over windows. I hit the 'x' to close the window but it messed up my windows. It looks like the windows partition still exists so whatever stuff I had may still be there. So, my question is, if I do a xp repair install, can I retrieve my stuff? Feel free to point and laugh at the Linux n00b. But I really need help!

OK, I need help with Linux. I partioned my drive to install linux and keep my windows install. Well, I messed up and instead of checking the install on custom partition, it started to install over windows. I hit the 'x' to close the window but it messed up my windows. It looks like the windows partition still exists so whatever stuff I had may still be there. So, my question is, if I do a xp repair install, can I retrieve my stuff? Feel free to point and laugh at the Linux n00b. But I really need help!

Lol, its all good man.

Luckily, if any data that was deleted isn't recovered, you should be able to use a 3rd party program to retrieve it. I've never used any of this, but I know it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get hold of a second hard disk you could install windows on that and then use a 3rd party program (as BongoBob suggested) to get your stuff off the original drive.

Good luck

Does anyone know of any bittorrent clients that work without fowarding ports on your router?

My housemate has the password and is being a c*** about it, saying everything works fine at the moment" and "I don't want anyone to mess it up" I am tempted to reset the router while he is out add the port forwarding and then let him put the password back on afterwards pretending I don't know how it got erraised...

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know of any bittorrent clients that work without fowarding ports on your router?

My housemate has the password and is being a c*** about it, saying everything works fine at the moment" and "I don't want anyone to mess it up" I am tempted to reset the router while he is out add the port forwarding and then let him put the password back on afterwards pretending I don't know how it got erraised...

Any suggestions?

1. Try "admin" its the default on most makes and models.

2. Google around to see if your router has some sort of manufacturer's backdoor password.

3. Reset the router.

I've never heard of a client not working at all because of port forwarding being disabled however.

Really? that is strange because I can not get a download at all, with any of the clients I have tried, bitcomet bitspirit uTorrent and Asureus. some of them get 1-2k and then stop but nothing consistant.

EDIT: found the problem, I turned off zone alarm and it went green and the speed is higher. I thought I had fowarded the correct ports (before the password was applied), but as the program was not working I didn't know. Now it will only take a day or two to download. (it was a 5.19Gb file.)

I don't want to be left using windows firewall (which for all it's faults it is easy to forward ports in), Anyone know how to foward ports in zone alarm, I can only find instructions for the pro version.

EDIT - Again: Turns out zone alarm hates all p2p software. I now have Comodo and all is well.

Since you _cannot_ install Linux on a NTFS partition (which I think you had when using XP) the installer most probably has erased your Windows partition data, at least. If the installer had written the new partition data or was formating the partition already then it's probably the easier way to say bye bye to the porpersonal data you have no backup for. Except you're somewhat good equipped to do lower level data forensics or can afford paying someone to extract the data for you. The rest of your legally obtained software is on installation CDs/DVDs anyways and any legacy of drivers and whatnot you downloaded is now replaced by free disk space, that shouldn't be that bad, too. :]

Soo.. Linux, yah?

Well, what ended up happening was that Linux began to reformat the XP part. The bad news was that I lost everything. The good news is that I didn't lose anything super important. Had backups of stuff on my desktop. I borrowed a copy of Partition Magic 8, cleaned up my hd, re-installed XP (pro this time), and setup a dual boot system with XP and Mandriva. Haven't had time to play with linux a whole lot, but so far I like it. My next problem is that I can't get the wi-fi drivers installed on XP. Keeps failing for some dumb reason. But other than that, I have my notebook back up and running. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

First, look in the device manager to see if the your NIC is active/alive. See if you can't find the updated drivers.

Next, try pinging another IP #. If it's dead then it will most likely time out.

If none of these work and the lights on the port are not flashing, time to go buy a new NIC. http://www.newegg.com

So my ethernet stopped working, and the enable onboard lan function is literally gone from my BIOS. Any suggestions?

Suggestions? Why, of course. Make it work!

Hmmm. Maybe there was never an enable onboard lan option? Or if there was, have you done a BIOS update? Maybe something went wrong, you took the wrong BIN-file, or the option is now somewhere else?

As for the rest, try to be more specific. Usually things don't stop working out of the blue. So have you done something (like a BIOS update)? And what exactly stopped working? Internet works, but you cannot connect to another PC? Which OS? Do you have a hub/switch? Are other PCs of the network working?

I mean, it's like "Hey my car is not driving. Suggestions?"

However, first of all check the cable connection! :p

And type "ipconfig /all" in the console, it should give you any information like NIC, IP, network connections; Also you may want to check the status LEDs of your NICs or switch for link/activities, and you could try another port of the hub or switch.

I went to the motherboard website, and there was a bios update that fixed the problem. To do the flashing, I needed to create a floppy with the update on it. After installing the floppy drive, I started up windows, and low and behold, windows detected the NIC.

WHAT THE ****??

I guess yesterday was just a bad day?

OK, my computer keeps blue screening. At first it seemed to only bluescreen when watching divx movies in WMP, but it has since done the same without WMP running and the last time was during boot up. I set it on "don't reset" and the last time it happened I took down the error message and code.

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xF7E94000, 0x00000000, 0x804090AA, 0x00000000)

I tried the MS knowledge base but it was useless as normal.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking into buying these speakers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121126

Will a standard audio jack be sufficient for it? I have a sound card lying around thats supposedly 5.1, if the motherboard's audio isn't up to snuff.

Logitech and Newegg both took the liberty of not saying what type of connector it uses, but under compatibility it just says "PC/Mac", so I'm guessing yes.

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xF7E94000, 0x00000000, 0x804090AA, 0x00000000)

I tried the MS knowledge base but it was useless as normal.

Does anyone have any ideas?

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area or 0x00000050 is mostly caused by

A) hardware problems (often RAM, video-RAM or CPU-cache)

B) incorrect installed windows services

D) anti viral software

c) defective NTFS file systems

A) If you have more than one memory module, try using them seperately, or if you only got one, try to get one to check that out. You could also try to slow down the RAM timing in the BIOS.

B) Errm. THERE!! *runs* (or try to deactivate newly installed services, if there is one, anti viral Software does that, for instance)

C) deactivate AV software (sometimes a simple update of the definition packages can cause trouble)

D) chkdsk /f /r

I bet you have RAM probs, though.

Archived